All-Star Worlds Shortest Backspot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

With the junior team that i coach i try to pick the taller girls to be backspots or the ones with long arms.

On my open team all of the backspots are 5'6" or taller.

I'm about 5'7 and I'm one of the shortest backspots on my team. We tryout as one or two positions. On my former team I was main basing because we had too many backspots and I was the shortest one and most experienced as a base.

You can do more for the stunt if you're tall (vs if you have to hold the elbows) and it's harder to base if you're tall... But of course depens how tall the other bases are.

im 5'2-5'3ish ? and i had backed my whole cheer 'career' (6 or 7 years) up until last year when i based i was always the shortest one and my bases were always 5'5, 5'6 and my flyers were always my height it was interesting to say the least but im one of those psycho bases that runs after the flyer no matter what even if it means i hit the ground trying to save her lol

I'm wondering how it works backspotting a stunt with bases that are taller than you if you're holding anything higher than prep level...

Im the shortest backspot on my team and one of my bases is taller than me but I can still reach ankles. Im just sometimes on my tiptoes. Its awesome how many short backs there are though! haha.

I backed last year, and I'm 5ft 2. :D

When it goes past prep to extension I push up the ankles as far as I can, then switch to the bases wrists/forearms. The first couple of goes the flyer freaked and wobbled as I let go of the ankles, but after maybe 3 attempts it was just as solid. Actually, I'm now her favourite back, as she knows there's no chance I'm letting her hit the ground, ever. So short can be just as good as tall!

Although my tryout this year I based :confused:, and depending on which team I'm placed on, I could be backing or basing this year. One thing's for sure, my flying days are over. Other than that, I'm easy.

we have all our little girls 5'2-5'4" ISH that aren't in baskets backing.. it's so funny 'cause you look and then there's these like 3 tiny little things next to a couple huge guys and the flyer tha't also taller than they are. haha

Back