All-Star Would It Be Better To...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 31, 2011
Ok let's take an example team. Lets say Team X is a Mini Level 1/2 (undecided team). They have 16 members. 14 of the 16have a bridge kickover. 8 of the 16 have BHS, 2 are very close. Only one of them has ever competed Level 2 before, so it will be ground up with stunting. Coaches are concerned about young Mini kids being able to perform high level 2 skills (baskets, barrel roles, 1/2 ups) Level 1 or 2?

Again take Team Z a Youth 2/3 team with 20 members. 18/20 have a BHS. 13/20 have tucks and 16/20 have jumps to BHS. None of the kids have ever competed level 3 before. Again coaches are concerned about the lack of tumbling and worried about their mostly younger youth team's ability to stunt as a competitive level 3 (one legs, singles, skills in baskets).

So to sum up my question: Is it better to be a super competitive team where your kids already have all the skills required and you simply have to choreograph, or is it better to push your kids to the next level, hoping that they will strive to get the skills and turn out on top? At what point do you say: Maybe this isn't going to happen?

I think it is better to be a strong lower level that a shaky higher level team. You can set a goal for that higher level and try it, but if you see the kids frustrated and things not working out then I would just stick to your stronger level. It's okay to push because we all need that motivation, but sometimes that push is too much.

I would go with the lower level for both situations. The team could start off the season level 2, and spend a little bit of time working on level 3 skills during practices. The "level 3" goal could be set for next year, and a possible goal of competing level 3 at one competition could be set too.

This is one of those instances where teams flip-flop levels throughout the season. I'm not a coach (but if I were), I'd start them stunting and see how well they take to things, and how their tumbling improves as well. Have Mini 2/ Youth 3 be the 'goal' and see how hard they push themselves..if they're hitting and perfecting stunting skills with all the flair of CEA or Brandon, give them the challenge and see how they take to it. Maybe if there's a competition where they're not going against anyone or it's one team, try the upper level. Sometimes you have to take the shot to see how they do. I've seen teams get stronger throughout the season and then hit that higher level, whatever it may be. You want them to succeed/do well, but you want them to have that bit of drive in the back of their minds. YOU as a coach know when to pull the reins if they're driving out of control..

I agree with having a strong, lower level team. at least for now. start the season as mini 1 and youth 2 and have them work on the higher skills all season and maybe you can eventually move up a level towards the end of the season.. sort of as a goal to work towards.

Ok let's take an example team. Lets say Team X is a Mini Level 1/2 (undecided team). They have 16 members. 14 of the 16have a bridge kickover. 8 of the 16 have BHS, 2 are very close. Only one of them has ever competed Level 2 before, so it will be ground up with stunting. Coaches are concerned about young Mini kids being able to perform high level 2 skills (baskets, barrel roles, 1/2 ups) Level 1 or 2?

Again take Team Z a Youth 2/3 team with 20 members. 18/20 have a BHS. 13/20 have tucks and 16/20 have jumps to BHS. None of the kids have ever competed level 3 before. Again coaches are concerned about the lack of tumbling and worried about their mostly younger youth team's ability to stunt as a competitive level 3 (one legs, singles, skills in baskets).

So to sum up my question: Is it better to be a super competitive team where your kids already have all the skills required and you simply have to choreograph, or is it better to push your kids to the next level, hoping that they will strive to get the skills and turn out on top? At what point do you say: Maybe this isn't going to happen?

Unwritten rule of cheer if you want to have a winning team:
Take the WORST athlete on your team, whatever they can do is what level you go.

A team of back-bend kickovers will not win level 1. You will need numerous consecutive backwalkovers/frontwalkovers to have a winning high scoring team. Go the lowest level and work on basic technique and clean choreography, that way next year that team will be a high scoring level 2 team... and so forth. Build clean skills and Clean will win.

Let's throw in an additional curve ball. Would it make a difference to know that these teams were competing on a Varsity scoresheet where difficulty (especially in stunting) matters? Would you choose differently. How about if they were on a JAM or IEP scoresheet

Both teams would have a better chance maxing out their scoresheets (at their level) by going he lower level. Quantity is also an important scoresheet element. Hopefully the coaches would continue to work those higher level stunting/ tumbling skills too so that they might progress to a higher level team before the end of the season.

Let's throw in an additional curve ball. Would it make a difference to know that these teams were competing on a Varsity scoresheet where difficulty (especially in stunting) matters? Would you choose differently. How about if they were on a JAM or IEP scoresheet
As a Varsity judge, I would highly recommend going lower level. They would have a much easier time maxing out difficulty and technique with skills they are confident in and can compete with good technique.

Id would much rather judge a clean backwalkover, then a sloppy back hand spring

For competing I would keep them at a lower level. But at practice perfect as much as you can with level 1 / 2 and once perfected well, try bumping up and practice other levels also. You don't want to push them so far they get hurt, but not so slow to hold them back from being competitive. :)

As a Varsity judge, I would highly recommend going lower level. They would have a much easier time maxing out difficulty and technique with skills they are confident in and can compete with good technique.

Id would much rather judge a clean backwalkover, then a sloppy back hand spring
Assume that the BHS are of equal quality to the BWO/the BHS are of equal quality of the tuck. Its just lack of percent, not perfection of skill

Well thing is, Varsity score sheet will not max out with JUST one clean team standing bhs. You would need multiple variety standing passes or The entire team to do BWO BHS, or BHS BWO BHS etc. to be able to compete with the top level 2 teams.
Not because standing one isnt good, but as judges we are trained that a team with MULTIPLE standing (same with running) variety passes, and team passes is the team that should score in the high range of difficulty.

Let me give an example of a high scoring/maxed out difficulty level 2 team:
Every athlete on the team has standing BWO BHS BWO BHS
Moves to another formation where most/all of the team performs a standing BHS stepout RO BHS series.
During one other formation, the team does one clean standing BHS.
That would be a high difficulty standing.

Running tumbling would need TONS of sync variety passes, with a few fast series bhs.

One year, we were having trouble deciding between level 3 and level 4. What we ended up doing was starting out level 3 but setting a goal of going level 4 at one of the last competitions. This way, we still did well at competitions, but we were constantly striving to improve.

Let me give an example of a high scoring/maxed out difficulty level 2 team:
Every athlete on the team has standing BWO BHS BWO BHS
Moves to another formation where most/all of the team performs a standing BHS stepout RO BHS series.
During one other formation, the team does one clean standing BHS.
That would be a high difficulty standing.

Running tumbling would need TONS of sync variety passes, with a few fast series bhs.
Let me add more clarification to my original intent. I should have been more specific when I made up my teams. It is that every cheerleader that was listed as tumbling could do max level passes. I.e. all the minis with BHS could do BWO BHS or complex BHS passes such as front walkover round off handspring step out round off hand spring hand spring. Then there were the few minis that couldn't tumble at all. Same with youth. All the tuck kids could do series/complex (bhs stepout ro bhs tuck) BHS with jumps and complex passes to tucks with again the same few kids who have no level 3 skills

Bottom line: Do you hold a team back based on only a few non-tumblers but struggling stunters?

Back