All-Star You Need A Little Whine With That Cheese?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@MissCongeniality and @Dixie yes! These are big parts of why my kids don't cheer anymore.

World's team? Yes. You need to be dedicated and be there. Want to be on a worlds team in 5 years? No, you don't need to be in the gym that much, yet.

Way too much trying to force kids who are way too young to decide what they want to do as their main activity. Can you imagine if you'd had to choose your college major by 5th grade and you couldn't change your mind? Let them try a few things! I know, I know...your princess was born to cheer and doesn't want to do anything else. Sorry - I don't think 8 year olds actually know what they want to be doing for the next 10 years.

Lastly, and i always ask this and never get an answer... what on earth are y'all going for? Why does your child have to have a double at 9? So you can brag to another mom? And ok, they want to go to worlds. I get that. But why do they need to go by their 12th birthday? And what is the ultimate goal? Why would you sacrifice your child's academics, their chance to do other things, friendships, basically their childhood, so they can go to worlds? Yes, by all means, teach your child to work towards a goal. But at the end of the day it's still just cheerleading (or whatever other youth sport they do). Take it down a notch. Unless you have some kind of prodigy (and I hesitate to even say that), relax.

Sorry. Rant over. Just drives me crazy to see the expectations of little kids, just to do one activity.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I agree with your statements, however, my daughter expressed an interest in going to the Olympics at around age 4 after watching gymnastics on TV, so I enrolled her into a tumbling class and was told by a coach, she had something there... my daughter practiced in the beginning for about 4 or 5 hours a week on a team and every year for the next 4 years, these practices increased... when my daughter was 8, in gymnastics, she was required to be in the gym for more than 16 hours, which she balked at and wanted to do cheerleading instead... I have to disagree that cheerleading requires a child to decide early on what they want to do, there are other sports that required the participants to commit more time at a younger age... My daughter is doing cheerleading and practice only 6 hours a week, and 1 hour for private tumbling, which is half of the time, had she stayed in gymnastics... When talking to the parents of my daughter's friends, who are still doing gymnastics, they practice at least 20 hours a week and are not able to enjoy movies, roller skating, etc... with friends, but on the other hand, my daughter have been able to enjoy movies, roller skating, etc... Additionally, because of her cheerleading schedule, she is able to play on her middle school band, basketball and run track...

You know what, I had that conversation with my daughter about having to give up all her activities, if she makes a World Team and she told me cheerleading on a L5 team is what she wants, but the nice part about all of this is, she is at a gym, where this is not going to happen until she is around 15 and ages off a Jr level team, so she is 11, and have plenty of time to enjoy her social life and do all the things that 11 y.o. wants to do...I remembered, before joining this gym, when I am asked, if she wants to crossover to other teams- (mind you, there were girls at this gym on 3 different teams, when I stop and told the coach, um, let me ask my daughter what she wants... In the past, I had coaches, who will get upset and try to shame me...by saying, you the parent, why you need to ask the child... I will simply say, hey, this is her life!)
Thus, I think that this is the scenario that is happening today... some parents get overzealous and their egos get puffed up--and they want to be able to bragged about how their child started on L5 at age 6 y.o., etc... and forget that this child must be allowed to experience some fun and not always be in training mode...

Thus, I think that this is the scenario that is happening today... some parents get overzealous and their egos get puffed up--and they want to be able to bragged about how their child started on L5 at age 6 y.o., etc... and forget that this child must be allowed to experience some fun and not always be in training mode...

Yes. Everyone wants to be the one to say (example) "My kid has been a Twinkle since first grade."

No one wants to be the one to be like "Nah. My kid has been on Whatever WC Y1 Team for 2 seasons and we're still working the walkover to cartwheel. We're good."

Cheer is not a race to L5 but it is repeatedly treated that way.

Yes. Everyone wants to be the one to say (example) "My kid has been a Twinkle since first grade."

No one wants to be the one to be like "Nah. My kid has been on Whatever WC Y1 Team for 2 seasons and we're still working the walkover to cartwheel. We're good."

Cheer is not a race to L5 but it is repeatedly treated that way.

Wow, I am a mom with a daughter who is talented without working on it hard and I have to pull her back if she wants to go to the gym too much (primarily, even the kids are putting pressure on each other too and everybody think they are going to fall behind, if they are not in the gym), I will actually make her call friends and hang out doing the weekends, she is not competing... She is on a L5 team, but she will enjoy all of the other things in life, like friends, movies, parties and extra-curricular activities because these things are important too and makes for a whole child... However, oncecoolcoachnowmom, Most tiger moms, will tell me in my face that I was blessed with a talented child and I should exploit those talents while she is young... but I tell them that I want a child who can laugh about and tell me about falling down learning how to skate and what happened at a party over a child telling me about arabians, whips and double fulls she practice on in her 2 hour private class... I feel like, she is destined for the tumbling, but she will never get back missing a school dance and/or experience being an anchor on her track and field relay team, etc...
Oh, btw, at WC, I was told they will not put a child on Twinkle unless he/she is older than 8... regardless of the skills...

Last edited:
Most tiger moms, will tell me in my face that I was blessed with a talented child and I should exploit those talents while she is young.

Yes. She totally needs one of those parent-run instagrams on which she promos bows and workout apps. With mom-coordinated meet-ups at major comps. #sarcasm

Other point re: cheerleading and school conflict.

School needs to be the priority.

Brace yourself kiddos, most of you won't be getting bills paid by cheer.

"I have a double" is not a resume item.

Or "I didn't take the SAT because of NCA but I have 20,000 instagram followers and a MEAN ball-up 360." doesn't cut it on your college app.

Or "Jeez, you know I have a 2.75 because I missed 3/5 days of school per week for comps, but I can serve you some FIERCE CENTER PREP CHOREO."

#no #getyourlife

Last edited:
I agree with your statements, however, my daughter expressed an interest in going to the Olympics at around age 4 after watching gymnastics on TV, so I enrolled her into a tumbling class and was told by a coach, she had something there... my daughter practiced in the beginning for about 4 or 5 hours a week on a team and every year for the next 4 years, these practices increased... when my daughter was 8, in gymnastics, she was required to be in the gym for more than 16 hours, which she balked at and wanted to do cheerleading instead... I have to disagree that cheerleading requires a child to decide early on what they want to do, there are other sports that required the participants to commit more time at a younger age... My daughter is doing cheerleading and practice only 6 hours a week, and 1 hour for private tumbling, which is half of the time, had she stayed in gymnastics... When talking to the parents of my daughter's friends, who are still doing gymnastics, they practice at least 20 hours a week and are not able to enjoy movies, roller skating, etc... with friends, but on the other hand, my daughter have been able to enjoy movies, roller skating, etc...

Gymnastics didn't require her to be there. You and her and her coach did. Lots of people go to gymnastics once a week for one hour. My point was that most sports start off their lower level, younger age kids at once a week, one hour classes. You can choose to do more, but it's not mandatory. Also, increasing hours over the next 4 years is different. I'm talking about walking in the door and saying, "Hi. My child would like to cheer. She's 8." And the gym says, "ok it's 3 days a week, we go to 8 competitions a year (3 in other states), it's $3000 per year and the uniform is $400. Here, sign this 12 month contract. Oh, and she can never be absent or it will ruin 20 other kids' lives forever." On day one. Before the kid has ever even walked on a mat.

I don't know if you misunderstood my post but I did not say that cheer is the only sport that has young kids there for lots of hours. What I don't like is that cheer requires it from day one, at the lowest levels. Yes, there are some kids who are competing at higher levels that should be there more hours. I was saying that I don't think someone in their first year of allstar, on mini 1, should be there 6-10 hours a week. As soon as you decide to do allstar...boom. It goes right to multiple days per week, the team comes first before all else, thousands of dollars per year, multiple travel comps activity. That's absurd for a 6 year old in their first year of something (and before anyone says it, no I don't think prep is a good bridge for this. I. Do. Not. Think. 6-year-olds. Competing. At. Level. 1. Need. To. Practice. So. Much.)

I think you are very fortunate that she is able to do all those other things. Because judging from my experience and other people posting on here these kids don't even have time to have the flu or go to school, let alone do other sports. For the record, I don't like this over commitment in any sport. Unless you are an Olympic hopeful (and I don't mean Mom is hopeful), or a high school aged athlete who is looking at a full ride to college, 20 hours a week of any sport is silly.

The lengths people will go to just to be able to brag astound me. What's really funny is that people are so obsessed with being able to say their kid was level 5 by age 8, and no one cares. No one. All that bragging and all anyone is thinking is "Ugh. I gotta remember to bring headphones next time." :rolleyes:

*** Also, anyone who is letting their child miss (or even postpone) things like SATs and ACTs for cheerleading needs their head examined.

Last edited:
The lengths people will go to just to be able to brag astound me. What's really funny is that people are so obsessed with being able to say their kid was level 5 by age 8, and no one cares. No one. All that bragging and all anyone is thinking is "Ugh. I gotta remember to bring headphones next time." :rolleyes:

Previously, my only exposure to this sort of bragging was from a coaching perspective. Easy to ignore as I was rarely in the parent area anyway. However, my son coming into our lives has exposed me to the Soccer Parent version of this way more than I'd like.

"My son lead his 4 year old team in goals last year."

"Is your boy trying out for Elite Travel? We made elite travel last season at age 5."

Ma'am. My son did not sit down and pick grass last week. That is our greatest accomplishment. Kindly leave me to my iPad.

@Just-a-Mom I completely agree with most everything you said. Especially about the mini aged athletes being in the gym 10 hours a week. Our mini level 1 practices 4 hours a week with one extra hour of required tumbling. A few of the girls also do privates but I would say theta unless they are a cross over, our minis are in the gym for 7 hours at the most. And that's with taking every extra tumbling class available, which only one or two of them do. With the mini aged athletes that I do private lessons with, I won't do more than 30 minutes at a time. It's a waste of their parents money because they don't have the ability for focus for an hour.

After reading many of the mom's comments to my post, it's small wonder that cheerleaders are some of the brightest and most well-mannered kids anywhere. One of my problems (if is it a problem), is that I love cheer as much as softball so it's difficult for me to ever get on a child because of a cheer conflict in the schedule. Many of my former students have gone on to receive college scholarships for their pitching ability in softball, but if any one of my softball/cheer students tell me they would rather cheer in college, I'm all for that and I try and help them achieve their goal through other financial aids if needed. Two years ago one of my students went to the Coast Guard Academy and did both sports! It's unfortunate that cheerleading doesn't offer as many 'rides as other sports, for whatever reason, because I think it takes incredible athleticism, passion and commitment to be a top cheerleader. As I said in the beginning, I just wish some coaches would learn to share a bit of time, but in all honesty, I think I can see both sides of the picture.

Previously, my only exposure to this sort of bragging was from a coaching perspective. Easy to ignore as I was rarely in the parent area anyway. However, my son coming into our lives has exposed me to the Soccer Parent version of this way more than I'd like.

"My son lead his 4 year old team in goals last year."

"Is your boy trying out for Elite Travel? We made elite travel last season at age 5."

Ma'am. My son did not sit down and pick grass last week. That is our greatest accomplishment. Kindly leave me to my iPad.
I first read this as "my only exposure to the SPORT of bragging" & thought yep to some people bragging is a sport! :rolleyes:

I straddle the soccer and cheer worlds. Here, cheer has nothing on soccer! Soccer skills are less defined than cheer so it's easier for parents to say their kid is the next superstar. I became team photographer so I didn't have to sit on the sidelines. :)

This is one reason why we took a break this last season . DD wants to try so many things I thought it best to take a year off (maintain tumbling) . Even at that we still didn't get in all the other things she wants to try :( But I do try to make her narrow things down, yet if you don't try you'll never know if you really would prefer one over the other. We are a small town with a small gym, for the most part the last comp. ends right when ball starts and the gym is pretty much empty during the entire summer. This did/does bother me, DD would complain and ask why she had to go to practice if no one else was . Cheerleading is a team sport and what was the point of working as a team when no one else was their .

My thoughts...and some food for thought...

I have no problem with the above example of a child needing to choose between elite soccer and elite cheer as a teenager. I think that is the reality of life, we can't do everything. What I do worry about is the trend I have seen in cheer since we began... And that is that the little ones are having to choose to forgo all other sports/activities due to the commitment to cheer.

My feeling is that when a child is in elementary school (and before) he/she should be doing as many things as possible...working all muscle groups and seeing what is out there. I feel like the increasing trend is for 7-year olds to be in the gym with a commitment to their team and a couple of privates and classes ...all because heaven forbid they don't have their full by 8 and don't make the worlds team at 12! (And ok...before you chime in and say that your 7-year old Suzy is just the most uber passionate cheerleader and demands that she be at the gym 6 days a week... I get it! The thing is, and I speak from experience, is that the best thing for Suzy? )

I have watched cheer become a year-round, majority of the week, commitment. Again, I get that it is necessary to keep your skills up, but again, 4/5/6 days a week at 7? What ever happened to cross training? What is this level of repetitive activity doing to our kids growing bodies and bones? And does the "team" (choreographed) aspect really need to be year round? Let's think about how often routines are changed over the course of a season. Or what about those half year teams that seem to manage just fine in the shorter amount of time?

Important to note: Cheer is not the only sport where this is happening. I just think that having our kids "specialize" at younger and younger ages, is going to backfire in the long run.
My daughter has tried a few sports, but hates anything with a ball. She enjoyed gymnastics but we moved way too much for her to do it seriously. She has done rec cheer but is bored. All Star is her thing.

My son is 7 and we've tried a few sports with him. He turned down baseball to cheer. He also is in boys gymnastics. He wants to give football a go this fall and if we can work it with cheer he will. If not, he will be presented the option at the end of the Cheer season to stay with gymnastics and then do football.

I agree, kids are kids and should have an opportunity to explore to find their niche!

Back