1st Year Cheer Dad Is This Normal?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I didn't take it that way. The people on this forum take cheer very seriously, I suspect I came off as ether a noob, or someone who was not showing due respect.

Just so you know where I am coming from Saturday night I had 2 upset moms in my hotel room ranting that their CPs had been told by their coach that they were in 7th place and she did not think there score would improve. She turned out to be correct there scores did go down they came in 8th. We had kids crying I have to be up at 3:30am to pack the car do hair and makeup. Then my wife tears up confessing that the coach and owner 2 months earlier attacked her and accused her of creating drama. So being the good engineer I am I stayed up most of the night reading and trying to understand what is going on.
I had to ask do people really spend this much money to be aggravated or am I doing it wrong.

I will now bring what I have learned to the now 4 irate moms and do what I can to defuse the situation. It appears there was nothing wrong with the situation and talking to the coach or owner would change nothing. This is just how this sport is done.

Funny side note, I told my neighbor that my daughter was in competition cheer. He responded that his daughter was also in cheer but no longer, and he was glad. He did not expand or say anymore about it. I thought it odd he did not offer advice.

Thank again to all of you :)

When the coach said they may not improve, it was probably not a result of the kids itself but because of the competition they had that weekend. You can be the absolutely best you can be as a team and hit with no deductions AND still not win if the team standing next to you was also the best they could be and had higher difficulty. About two weeks ago my CP competed at a competition where they were 1 of 3 teams. The first team took the mat and they hit their routine, second team did the same thing, CP's team got up there and had a stunt fall (flyer to her knees). At awards, CP's team took 1st---overall they had the more difficult, cleaner routine DESPITE that fall so even though it may not have seemed like they should have won, they did.

As for your wife, it's very easy for new cheer parents to get wrapped up in cheer drama without even realizing it. I was a new to cheer mom when my CP turned 4 (she came from dance, after deciding it was too boring and has been OBSESSED with cheer ever since) and it's very easy to get wrapped up into a world that doesn't make sense. Almost everything you laid is status quo at a lot of gyms, but not all of it. Each gym has their own way of doing things---my husband recently retired from the Army and because of moving we've experienced 3 separate programs---and none of them were the same. I currently drive past 3 All-Star Cheer gyms to take CP where she does. For her passion and dream it's worth it, but it does require a heavy sacrifice from me, her dad and her sister (who has to get toted around).

To be honest, it does seem like your child is spending too much time at the gym and that time could be spent elsewhere. Obviously team practices are a must, but I'd probably lower everything else to a level appropriate tumbling class (she's beyond the BHS one she's in) and then open gyms if she feels like she's missing the gym. The jump class, the stunt class...etc, aren't really needed especially if she is stretching at home. Those are the fun things my CP likes to do over the summer when the sky is the limit as far as time goes, but once school is in it's game over.

I just want to echo what a few have said about competitions not being vacation---I have turned my fair share of weekends away into mini vacation but it's much harder to do for 2 day competitions. The same weekend I spoke about above, I actually had my Dancer Child (she's at an All-Star Dance Studio) performing in Orlando on a Friday while my CP was competing in Tampa on a Sunday. When we left Friday morning, we just left and hotel hoped the two cities. We did add an aquarium trip but OMG I was dragging by Sunday---comps are fun, but exhausting and it's very difficult for the kids to be well rested and ready to compete if they can't relax, rest and focus.

As for your gym situation, I'm curious why you won't be traveling with the gym to Orlando in April? Aside from that, it doesn't sound like the GYM is the greatest fit for your family. I appreciate the fact that you want to learn---sometimes that is a blessing and a curse, so balance is key---but if you don't trust this coach, find a new gym next season. Try outs are virtually around the corner. Some coaches scream, threaten, go ape poop crazy---but not all of them. If your child is at a gym where you don't feel like you can drop them off and leave, knowing they're safe and sound, then it's not the right gym for you.

Otherwise, welcome to Fierceboard!!!!

Last edited:
@Littlebear12 haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I think that one of your greatest concerns should be helping her to maintain the level of conditioning she was doing in gymnastics. If she has solid conditioning skills, everything else will fall into place more easily (with regards to skill acquisition).

Not sure how much gymnastics you were doing, nor that it matters. But when my CP quit competitive gymnastics at 10, she went from a VERY small child to an age appropriate height within a year. It was shocking to see, and some was obviously associated with age, but I remember being very weirded out by how much gymnastics appeared to have stunted her growth.

I went back and re-read and just saw the "take off warm ups outside" part.

I would definitely address that with the coaches as there is never really a reason for a kid to do that (there is generally more than enough time to take it off once inside the venue.) I have never found myself that pressed for time that I have asked kids to remove warm ups while still outside. Weird.

Wait. She's eleven and doing level 6 stunts??? I'm not very informed about different stunt levels, but level 6 is for 17+....it seems very strange that a new, eleven year old cheerleader would be participating in stunting at that level. [emoji51]
Perhaps because he is coming from a gymnastics background, he means Level 6 gymnastics tumbling?

I suspect I'm going to get flamed for this post but I'll do it anyway. on Monday are gym did a SurveyMonkey to ask which event the team wanted to go to. We had previously been told you were going to Orlando in late April now after the survey monkey that's been changed to Chicago on the 6th of April this poses a huge problem for us. My wife who is the president of the PTA for our entire school district had intentionally scheduled my daughter's school Daddy Daughter Dance so that it would not conflict with my daughters cheer competitions. we had a custom dress made for her anticipating her last dance. I asked my daughter with the what did she want to do go to the dance for go to the competition she wanted to go to the dance. I informed the director of the gym that she would not be going to Chicago as it conflicted with a daddy-daughter dance date he was gracious and said it was not a problem and that they could get someone else to take CP position and I was quite happy. I received a call tonight from my daughter very upset. Her coach called her out in front of all the other girls and told her that she was not needed and it should be replaced I really feel and she does that this was reprisal for her not being there for Chicago. she is one of five flyers on the team. The girls are repeatedly told that they can easily be replaced so if you tell a girl that she's not needed or can be replaced when she asked to not be there why should she be attacked for it. it is especially difficult for me to deal with these problems from a far as my job requires me to travel so I'm not at home to sort out the difficulties I'm dealing with with this over the phone from a Hotel. Posted from my phone

@Cheer Dad A good Coach knows the difference between burn out and pushing for greatness unfortunately they are millimeters apart and those who haven't got a single clue push past that point way too often but when a Coach stays with an Athlete and pushes them just a bit harder each time it is in my opinion what makes a good Athlete better

*Edit* At the end of the day it is our goal to win and for the Athletes it is the Same we do what we need to to get to that point not sure if you have ever tried to get a group of tween girls to work together never the less in synch but it is honestly like trying to convince a gaggle of cats to take a bath some nights :)

Wow. A gym just can't go changing dates on people and then expect them to go with it! Also they should never be mean to a child! I suggest changing gyms.

@Cheer Dad A good Coach knows the difference between burn out and pushing for greatness unfortunately they are millimeters apart and those who haven't got a single clue push past that point way too often but when a Coach stays with an Athlete and pushes them just a bit harder each time it is in my opinion what makes a good Athlete better

*Edit* At the end of the day it is our goal to win and for the Athletes it is the Same we do what we need to to get to that point not sure if you have ever tried to get a group of tween girls to work together never the less in synch but it is honestly like trying to convince a gaggle of cats to take a bath some nights :)
I have worked with tween/teenage girls and I'd rather give the cats a bath.

**That will be 5 cents please**

I suspect I'm going to get flamed for this post but I'll do it anyway. on Monday are gym did a SurveyMonkey to ask which event the team wanted to go to. We had previously been told you were going to Orlando in late April now after the survey monkey that's been changed to Chicago on the 6th of April this poses a huge problem for us. My wife who is the president of the PTA for our entire school district had intentionally scheduled my daughter's school Daddy Daughter Dance so that it would not conflict with my daughters cheer competitions. we had a custom dress made for her anticipating her last dance. I asked my daughter with the what did she want to do go to the dance for go to the competition she wanted to go to the dance. I informed the director of the gym that she would not be going to Chicago as it conflicted with a daddy-daughter dance date he was gracious and said it was not a problem and that they could get someone else to take CP position and I was quite happy. I received a call tonight from my daughter very upset. Her coach called her out in front of all the other girls and told her that she was not needed and it should be replaced I really feel and she does that this was reprisal for her not being there for Chicago. she is one of five flyers on the team. The girls are repeatedly told that they can easily be replaced so if you tell a girl that she's not needed or can be replaced when she asked to not be there why should she be attacked for it. it is especially difficult for me to deal with these problems from a far as my job requires me to travel so I'm not at home to sort out the difficulties I'm dealing with with this over the phone from a Hotel. Posted from my phone

I honestly don't think you have anything to fear with being flamed for this. If anything, I respect your unfiltered honesty especially knowing where you're coming from. I will say, replacing an athlete before a competition is common though I don't really agree with how the coach did it. Is this competition the last one of the season? If so, I can understand the coaches sentiment (again, not how he did it) because at this point your daughter's season would be over and done. Out of state competitions are often a huge deal and they don't want to travel and spend thousands to do poorly.

I do disagree with the changing of dates especially for an out of state competition (I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you're from either a southern state or Texas) unless your original contract stated to be flexible. We have a gym in our area who has this rule with their older teams. But, you had already said you weren't going to Orlando or did I misread that earlier?

When you get back home I would likely sit down with your daughter and discuss commitment. AS Cheer is a team sport that involves a lot of sacrifice, dedication and time. If she is not willing to put her team first, this may not be the sport for her long-term. My best advice would be to finish out this season with as little drama as humanly possible and find a different gym next season or reflect on if this is really a sport your family wants to be apart of and go from there. Good luck!

@Littlebear12 I have never heard of a gym changing competitions like that. Unless it's a worlds team chasing down a bid there is no reason for it. At least you told them she wasn't available that date. I suggest looking for a new gym. What area are you located? We can definitely suggest some for you.

I feel like if a gym makes a huge change like that, they should be prepared to have some who can't accommodate the change. It would have been easy for the coaches to tell the truth in this matter, "We will need to replace so and so for Chicago.. She has a prior commitment". Seems like vindictiveness to do anything else

ETA: or maybe they are trying to guilt trip her out of her decision?

Back