1st Year Cheer Dad Is This Normal?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Coed Level 6 stunting with coaches (excessively, every so often for fun is fine) teaches kids some of the WORST technique because they tend to start applying their coed flying skills to all girl.

Coed stunting feels different and young kids get used to that.

Then when it's time to stunt with peers, it's hard to get used to it again.

Last edited:
Her scorpion and heal catch need a lot of work to be clean and she does not have her needle. I don't want to push to hard on her. All she really wants to do is one man. If that was a sport she would be in it.

@amy1k Is exactly right. Partner-stunting with a very skilled adult coach is very different from stunting with a group of kids your CP's age. This was a difficult concept for me to accept at first. But it really is a completely different ball game when you have three 10-11 year-old bases.

If her scorpion and her heel stretch need work, then she really needs to be working on her flexibility and body positions. These are very important, even for partner stunting. My CP's stunt coach is one of the best in the country (well, at least I think so ;)). CP looks amazing when she is in the air. But he spends the majority of his time working on her flexibility and lines. He will spend an entire lesson just working on one or two counts (like going into the scorpion) until her hand grabs the right spot on her leg every time, her other arm is at exactly the right angle, and she doesn't shift her weight or turn slightly. And he does all of that either while standing behind her or laying on the ground balancing her over his chest. He only two-mans with her two or three times at the end of the lesson because she needs to work on things that will benefit herself and her team for the level she is currently at.

To put it bluntly, your daughter's two-man skills do very little for your daughter's team. If you are interested in helping your daughter and your daughter's team become more competitive, your money is better spent on lessons that will further her group stunting skills.

Ok help me were am I going wrong.
She has back tuck class 2 hrs a week
Standing back handspring 1-2 hrs a week
Jump class 1-2 hrs a week
Stunt class 2 hrs a week
Tumbling class 1-2 hrs a week
Team training 2.5 hrs a night 3 or more nights a week

We are no longer doing stunt class until they get a new coach.

I know now that the 45 minutes the gym spent explaining what All Star cheer was all about was insufficient to make an informed decision on something as time consuming as this. To be honest most of the time was spent talking about the cost, hair and makeup, uniform ware and shoes. The gym wanted to make sure we understood this was expensive. Our gym in in an effluent suburb, that being said time is more valuable than money for most of the parents there.

Please don't get me wrong my CP is no Olympic bound gymnast.
All I am trying to do as a father is reduce the sting of being the smallest girl in her class and soon to be the smallest girl in middle school from a liability to an asset. If All Star cheer gets me there than great if not I will move on to something else or back to gymnastics.

Stunt class 2 hrs a week

I know now that the 45 minutes the gym spent explaining what All Star cheer was all about was insufficient to make an informed decision on something as time consuming as this. To be honest most of the time was spent talking about the cost, hair and makeup, uniform ware and shoes. The gym wanted to make sure we understood this was expensive. Our gym in in an effluent suburb, that being said time is more valuable than money for most of the parents there.

All I am trying to do as a father is reduce the sting of being the smallest girl in her class and soon to be the smallest girl in middle school from a liability to an asset. If All Star cheer gets me there than great if not I will move on to something else or back to gymnastics.

How does the child have time for school? My gosh that's a lot of classes. A. Lot.

Stunt class 2 hrs a week

Cut out all the extras. Just too much for a young developing body. If you really feel she needs to do a tumbling class keep it to the 1 general tumbling class and skip the speciality BHS and tuck classes.

**will someone please explain what just happened?**

Stunt class 2 hrs a week

Did I read this wrong? Your CP on a youth 2 team is spending 4+ hours in the gym a night? Are these classes required? They spend 2 hours a week working on each individual tumbling skill?

I am so confused. Where is Ashton?

People tend to think that the more cheer activities you pile on, the quicker your kid will advance through levels.

Nope.

I bet if you poll Worlds team parents on this board, they'll tell you their child was NOT in almost 20 hours per week of classes when they were Youth 2.

Cut out all the extras. Just too much for a young developing body. If you really feel she needs to do a tumbling class keep it to the 1 general tumbling class and skip the speciality BHS and tuck classes.

**will someone please explain what just happened?**

Agreed. Cut out the extra classes and you probably won't feel so overwhelmed when the coaches spring an extra practice one you.

Just curious, have you asked your daughter what she wants to do? Because I don't really see how her size has anything to do with her being a liability in middle school. If you are trying to find a sport that will help build her self-confidence, then that is wonderful! But you should make sure that it is something she enjoys. I have heard many complaints from you about how stressful all-star has been on you, but I wonder if those are feelings your daughter shares or if she is enjoying it.

And it will probably help your daughter's self-esteem and your anxiety if you stop looking at and referring to her size negatively or as a liability.

Stunt class 2 hrs a week

It's really nice as a dad that you are trying to build up her self confidence! As an extremely small 15 year old who isn't growing anymore, it sucks sometimes. I love how dedicated you seem! However, that many classes is a lot for a 10 year old. She will likely get burned out if she keeps doing that many classes. I would talk to her and see which classes she enjoys most. Also talk to the coaches and see what they recommend. But it seems like you might be doing too many tumbling classes IMO. Kudos to you for helping your daughter turn her height into an asset!

Back