1st Year Cheer Dad Is This Normal?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I must say the top 3 teams out classed our team. I didn't even know they could do some of the things the top 3 did a youth 2 level. I think our first 2 competitions were small venue so we placed first, but now in competitions with 400 plus teams we in the bottom half. My question is this. We won a paid bid to world in Orlando in our first competition They were grand champions and competed against 14 teams. Why send a team to worlds from a small competition when they will be competing against teams that won their spot in a large regional competition?
Because you aren't competing against other teams, per se. You are competing against a score sheet. Unless I'm wrong and they do comparative scoring at the Summit---someone correct me if they do.
What I mean is that a score of 98.7 is a score of 98.7 regardless of who you are competing against. Make sense?

I think its call "The One" it is at Universal Studios in Orlando end of April.
I had no idea there were so many different competitions

Because you aren't competing against other teams, per se. You are competing against a score sheet. Unless I'm wrong and they do comparative scoring at the Summit---someone correct me if they do.
What I mean is that a score of 98.7 is a score of 98.7 regardless of who you are competing against. Make sense?
Not really sorry I am trying Their first competition they got a 95.4 but I don't know what that means

Not really sorry I am trying Their first competition they got a 95.4 but I don't know what that means
It's not like a ball sport where one team has to score more points than another.

You have a rubric (putting it in school terms) where you can earn so many points. That is your raw score. For simplicity sake, let's say the potential raw score is 100. If you do every skill to the hardest level allowed absolutely perfectly, you can score 100 points. Let's say, though, one of your stunts fell to the ground. That would be a deduction (pretend it's 5 points). Also, someone fell to their knees during their tumbling pass. That's another deduction of 5 points. Now, your team is down to 90 points.
Team B has much less difficulty than you do, so their maximum score is only 85. If they perform it perfectly, the most points that they can score is 85 so even though it was a "better" performance, they still scored less than you and you would still win.

I'm COMPLETELY making up these numbers. They will NOT reflect the numbers on a level 2 score sheet.

Does that help more?

It's not like a ball sport where one team has to score more points than another.

You have a rubric (putting it in school terms) where you can earn so many points. That is your raw score. For simplicity sake, let's say the potential raw score is 100. If you do every skill to the hardest level allowed absolutely perfectly, you can score 100 points. Let's say, though, one of your stunts fell to the ground. That would be a deduction (pretend it's 5 points). Also, someone fell to their knees during their tumbling pass. That's another deduction of 5 points. Now, your team is down to 90 points.
Team B has much less difficulty than you do, so their maximum score is only 85. If they perform it perfectly, the most points that they can score is 85 so even though it was a "better" performance, they still scored less than you and you would still win.

I'm COMPLETELY making up these numbers. They will NOT reflect the numbers on a level 2 score sheet.

Does that help more?
yes thank you that was what I thought was going on

Does the coach tell the judges what routine elements are going to executed before they go on, or does the judges add up the value of all the routine elements as they see them.

Back