All-Star 2013-2014 New Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Am I the only one that thinks saying that stunting/tumbling in t-shirt is unsafe is a little silly? I've basically only ever tumbled/stunted while wearing a t-shirt and I've never seen it get in the way. Last week I tumbled/stunted while wearing like a million of layers and everything went fine.

Back on to the topic of people saying crop tops got differently on different people...We (mainly my sister, my roommate and I) are pushing to get new basketball uniforms since ours are old and not that cute (sorry coach). And we want crop tops similar to U of L or UNC but our coach says no because some people have longer torsos and some have shorter so they wouldn't look the same on everyone :/ I disagree, I think if you have a uniform rep come and size everyone they will look just fine, but she's not having it. Sigh.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
I said that too, until I saw a child get a spiral fracture of the finger when she got it caught in her flyer's tee during a double down.

Am I the only one that thinks saying that stunting/tumbling in t-shirt is unsafe is a little silly? I've basically only ever tumbled/stunted while wearing a t-shirt and I've never seen it get in the way. Last week I tumbled/stunted while wearing like a million of layers and everything went fine.

Back on to the topic of people saying crop tops got differently on different people...We (mainly my sister, my roommate and I) are pushing to get new basketball uniforms since ours are old and not that cute (sorry coach). And we want crop tops similar to U of L or UNC but our coach says no because some people have longer torsos and some have shorter so they wouldn't look the same on everyone :/ I disagree, I think if you have a uniform rep come and size everyone they will look just fine, but she's not having it. Sigh.

I've had many issues with it. Keep in mind I only stunt level 2/3, and tumble only level 2. Can't imagine what its like in the higher levels!
For stunting, i was basing a basic half up to extension and the flyer's shoe got caught in my shirt and when she went up i nearly got thrown back because of it. We fell, obviously. Although a tighter fitting shirt might be better, just not for me i guess. I hate stunting with a t shirt...
For tumbling, I've seen a girl do a basic, round off handspring full, nothing crazy like a whip double or something, and her shirt flew into her face during the back handspring rebound part, and her full was all janky because of it.
Full tops pose a new issue that I've had. I was on a rec team. And I was competing. My top was normal, not incredibly short, not incredibly long, it fit. But when i was competing, it starts rising up. We got a warning because of it, and luckily it was early in competitions, or else we would've gotten a 2 pt deduction (this was back in 09 though).
Unless full tops start making some sort of waist band on the bottom of the uniform top, i just won't like it...

I've had many issues with it. Keep in mind I only stunt level 2/3, and tumble only level 2. Can't imagine what its like in the higher levels!
For stunting, i was basing a basic half up to extension and the flyer's shoe got caught in my shirt and when she went up i nearly got thrown back because of it. We fell, obviously. Although a tighter fitting shirt might be better, just not for me i guess. I hate stunting with a t shirt...
For tumbling, I've seen a girl do a basic, round off handspring full, nothing crazy like a whip double or something, and her shirt flew into her face during the back handspring rebound part, and her full was all janky because of it.
Full tops pose a new issue that I've had. I was on a rec team. And I was competing. My top was normal, not incredibly short, not incredibly long, it fit. But when i was competing, it starts rising up. We got a warning because of it, and luckily it was early in competitions, or else we would've gotten a 2 pt deduction (this was back in 09 though).
Unless full tops start making some sort of waist band on the bottom of the uniform top, i just won't like it...
Idk. I just see tshirts/full tops causing injuries as a freak accident. I'm sure more tumbling passes and stunts have been safely completed while wearing full tops/tshirts than ones that have been interrupted because a shirt got in the way.

Idk. I just see tshirts/full tops causing injuries as a freak accident. I'm sure more tumbling passes and stunts have been safely completed while wearing full tops/tshirts than ones that have been interrupted because a shirt got in the way.

Also, I feel like a full top and a tshirt are two completely different things...When have you ever seen someone's full top fly up into their face while tumbling. Tshirts are meant to be "looser" fitting. If you don't like it flying around, get a smaller size. These examples, the only way I can imagine them being a big deal is if the girl was wearing a tshirt that is way to big for her and thats just silly. I have competed 14 years and practiced in tshirts all my life and I promise, I have never had a problem. I compete college level skills in a full top now, never once have I had a problem.

I wore a crop top my entire time through all-star and than once I went to college we had full tops. Never had an accident due to the uniform but I do not like how full top uniforms tend to ride up ... Then you have some girls with mid sections showing and others who don't and it is very distracting IMO

I see what you're saying. Just my opinion that i'd rather have crop tops

BUT i agree that youths and below should have full tops. But juniors...
theres such an overlap, (10yr olds - 18 can be senior, and anyone under 14 can be junior) that i feel like juniors should maybe be allowed to have crops? Just depends. I would hate for a crossover (on a junior and senior team) to have to buy two versions of a uniform, for example.

Regarding the debacle on here about crops and fulltops.

In all honesty we can hoot and holler on what we like or dislike. Can we change it though? No.
At the end of the the day the gym owner decides whats best for his or her gym.

I do respect the new junior level rule in a couple years for them wearing full tops and when a senior athlete they can have a crop top. FULLY respect that. Senior levels are older and it looks more appropriate for a senior level athlete to wear a crop. Its almost like a right of passage lol. Yes this industry will ALWAYS have haters that know nothing about us. From crop top uniforms looking too "skeazy", to calling our girls this and that and to saying cheer is not a sport. We all ignore what they do in their lovely 1.5 pound ball sports. So they should ignore us. We have survived with crops and full tops this whole time and it does NOT effect the talent of the athlete. We as parents/coaches need to respect the gym owners decision but lets not cause a giant debate over a uniform. Its a uniform. The athlete is what we need to focus on.

I've seen the same from getting caught in a crop top uniform, soffe shorts, a sports bra, and a shoe lace.
Yes, but if wearing a tank that fits close to the body rather than a tee can prevent an injury why not do it? It covers and is less likely to get in the way and cause a problem. I watched a girl tumble completely out of a tee this week at out gym. It could have been bad had she gotten tangled in it.

I would hate for a crossover (on a junior and senior team) to have to buy two versions of a uniform, for example.

Our girls that cross bought a plain white $20 Leo that goes under their crop. You can't tell a difference at all. But I designed the uniform so we could do that easily..

and for people getting caught funny in another athletes cut shirt, i understand, i have been in that situation before. But it was not because of my shirt. The stunt was not executed correctly therefor causing multiple incidents to happen after.Its all on proper execution of a stunt. If that girl injured herself in a double down getting caught in a shirt, its because she double downed too low to the point of where she was still twisting in the "catching area". Correct? i could be wrong but thats a common mistake of getting caught due to twisting. Bases do not pop the cradle properly.

Yes, but if wearing a tank that fits close to the body rather than a tee can prevent an injury why not do it? It covers and is less likely to get in the way and cause a problem. I watched a girl tumble completely out of a tee this week at out gym. It could have been bad had she gotten tangled in it.

If a tshirt is so big that it flys off when tumbling, the athlete needs to be wearing a smaller tshirt. Problem solved.

That sounds like a fit issue, not a tank or tee issue.

That sounds like a fit issue, not a tank or tee issue.
I have seen even tees that fit fly up in faces ect. I just think that something with some stretch and that is more fitted is all around safer. Just from observation I see many more "wardrobe malfunctions" that lead to busted tumbling or stunts coming down when people are wearing tees vs tanks. Our gym doesn't allow just a sports bra, so I cannot speak to that. YMMV

Back