OT 2016 Rio Olympics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'm watching synchro swimming (team), and I'm more interested in what they'r doing under the water than above. I did a synchro summer camp once as a kid and I'd rather watch the egg beater and sculling arms while they chuck people around above the water.

I'm watching synchro swimming (team), and I'm more interested in what they'r doing under the water than above. I did a synchro summer camp once as a kid and I'd rather watch the egg beater and sculling arms while they chuck people around above the water.
Same! I wish they would keep that underwater camera going to whole routine.

I am watching the synchro swimming and I actually do not understand what is happening,,, but I so enjoy watching these young women performing... Those opening land movements and the water tricks are so fantastic...

Anybody who understand this sport, how exactly are these teams scored? Thanks for any updates and info in advance...

Feigen payed a hefty fine/donation thing to get to leave the country (around 11k I think) and I feel certain US Swimming will suspend them all. Lochte and Feigen probably more so. I know Phelps was suspended 6 months in 2014 for a second DUI, and I would expect something similar or longer.

(edit: I'm in now way sticking up for them, just going off what I know)

I would think a longer period of time than Phelps got, but we shall see. It'll be interesting to see if Lochte loses some of his endorsement deals.

33c6314adf7ce38b544d43e90afd3fb5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read and heard Lochte's apology and it appears, he is still sticking to the guns cocked to the head, etc... story! After hearing Lochte's side, I was wondering were the security officers in uniform or plains clothes officers, hence, the mistake... I still kind of trouble with Lochte's lack of details in his apology and what he is actually apologizing for...he never mentioned anything about trashing a bathroom or fighting officers. His atoning for his behavior can amount to anything...

PS: I am still trouble by the swimmer big 11k payoff to a charity, so he can get his passport and travel back to the USA...(I hope, this is not extortion)

I am watching the synchro swimming and I actually do not understand what is happening,,, but I so enjoy watching these young women performing... Those opening land movements and the water tricks are so fantastic...

Anybody who understand this sport, how exactly are these teams scored? Thanks for any updates and info in advance...

Pay off the French judge, obviously. ;)

Seriously though, just like with any judged sport. Difficulty, execution. Judges are looking for height on lifts and throws. Synchronicity in leg and arm movements, quicker movements will be judged as more difficult. Close formation work is harder too, as there's less room to move. Also looking for uniformity on height out of the water, so if the legs are out, they all need to be at the same height. Finally, there's uniformity of angles (leg kicks and movements and such), and placement of difficulty throughout the routine, and not only at the beginning, overall impression, etc. Nt much different from cheer, just different skills. And 4 mins of doing a lot of this upside down while holding your breath. At least I can gasp my way through an entire routine while smiling. There's no way I could hold my breath for 30+ second spots

ETA - this is just my tv watching education, from many Olympics as a kid and now. I have very little personal involvement in the sport, and none recently as an adult

I read and heard Lochte's apology and it appears, he is still sticking to the guns cocked to the head, etc... story! After hearing Lochte's side, I was wondering were the security officers in uniform or plains clothes officers, hence, the mistake... I still kind of trouble with Lochte's lack of details in his apology and what he is actually apologizing for...he never mentioned anything about trashing a bathroom or fighting officers. His atoning for his behavior can amount to anything...

PS: I am still trouble by the swimmer big 11k payoff to a charity, so he can get his passport and travel back to the USA...(I hope, this is not extortion)
it probably is.

"I regret that you guys caught me in a lie and I forgive you for it. It's traumatic to be in a place where people speak weird non-English so of course I had to spread a slanderous, slightly racist lie. I'm just a young, impressionable 32-year-old."
– Ryan Lochte.

"I regret that you guys caught me in a lie and I forgive you for it. It's traumatic to be in a place where people speak weird non-English so of course I had to spread a slanderous, slightly racist lie. I'm just a young, impressionable 32-year-old."
– Ryan Lochte.

Yeah that's what I read as well.

Lol overheard people at the bar right now talking about how people are so angry at Gabby for not doing her hand over her heart but nothing about Lochte.

Back