All-Star Advice Needed

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think, it would be a good choice to resign as a captain but still remain on the team. If you explain yourself to everyone the way you did here, I think everyone will understand...

I think, it would be a good choice to resign as a captain but still remain on the team. If you explain yourself to everyone the way you did here, I think everyone will understand...
I think I may have to do an awkward speech on why I am resigning and letting every one down -_- hopefully the coach wont wring my neck if I choose this.

I know it'll feel real awkward. But you'll feel so much better afterwards!!
You should talk to the coach in private first though...

And: You're not letting them down, if you choose to not be captain now! It would be letting them down if you tried to do everything and never managed anything properly because it was all too much, especially if you knew in advance that it would probably all be too much.

I think I may have to do an awkward speech on why I am resigning and letting every one down -_- hopefully the coach wont wring my neck if I choose this.

You wont be letting them down! If you think you won't have the time, that means you wont be able to be the best captain you can be, and letting someone else get the chance to shine is in my opinion what is best for the team if you feel that you will be stressed out. In my experience, when i am stressed out i make mistakes which utlimatly is bad for the team. I know i would want my team captain to think like this.

When does your high school cheer end? You also need to think about when competition season for allstar comes around. With a level 5 team I'm assuming that you will be practicing more and traveling in the competition season months.

Don't mean to add more stress but it should definitely be something that plays into your decision.
Best of luck!

Being captain and doing allstar is very stressful at times, but you have to split up the work equally between all of the 3 captains . You're probably feeling overwhelmed because its the beginning of your captain duties and you don't have a rhythm yet to do things, but take a step back for a second. You have two commitments, both of which will work with you if you talk to them and be up front about your schedules. Its all about time management and balancing both teams without favoring one. While it sucks to miss choreography, you said it yourself that they'd be okay with you missing..... therefore you'd make that sacrifice for your first high school camp! A big sacrifice, but one that could be totally worth the experience (captain or not, wouldn't you still have to miss choreo and go to school camp? they're usually mandatory..)! Whether you choose to stay captain or not, things won't always turn out perfect scheduling wise, but with both commitments you gotta take it maturely and make it work. Talk to the coaches and give each your set schedule of mandatory practices/camps/competitions that you already know ASAP for both programs so they will be less likely to schedule things at the same time and realize that with being a captain its not always going to be glory and fun all the time. You gotta prioritize and realize that you CAN balance both, but you may have to do captain duties/ allstar practice instead of going to someone's pool party, going to non mandatory all star events, etc.
Without sacrifice comes no reward.....

As for the routine making/music mixing/team bonding, delegate delegate delegate! You'd be surprised at who will step up and have talent in doing that stuff. Also, once you figure it all out in the first routine you will have a rythym and it gets way way easier! Music editing is really easy once you learn, and choreo can be super simple yet great! I've been in your spot before and it can get overwhelming, but I 100% am so glad that I stuck with being captain, varsity cheer and allstar cheer all at the same time. It was busy and tiring and stressful but it was also so many amazing experiences and my best year of high school!

Make sure that you think over your situation and the pros and cons of staying captain vs. giving it up. so there are no regrets for whichever one you decide! Good Luck!

I'd say talk to your coaches and ask them if you could drop your position as captain, simply because you bit off more than you could chew for your freshman year. It's not quitting the team, so you should still be allowed to try and. Plus, you're only a freshman- your still have three more years of high school left, which means three more opportunities to be captain again :)

It seems to me like you would be letting them down more by not being able to give the squad your all as a captain than you would be by resigning your position. I would say talk to the coach and see if they could find another captain but remain on the team. As for missing choreography, I know it will be frustrating but it's not impossible. I'm sure you can pull off whatever you set your mind to.

This is exactly what im going through. Except at my school you don't try out to be captain, the coaches pick you. Im completely overwhelmed right now, but my mom wont let me not be captain. She's all 'it looks good for college'. At least its not my freshman year and I dont do allstar right now. I can't imagine how you feel! Im sorry! But I think you should resign if thats going to make you feel better! Its better that you're less stressed out!

Back