All-Star Best Scorpion

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mackenzie..she used to cheer for trilogy all stars. she was always an amazing flyer

mackenziei.jpg

prettyyyy

some of these flyers dont know how to pull a real scorp..they're just doing a scale and turning their backs. that's not a scorpian. in your scorp your knee should be to the back, not the side.

While all these pics are very impressive and these kids are obviously very flexible, does anyone stop and think about the damage they could possibly be doing to their spines, joints and ligaments as they grow and get older? I would love to hear from PT's and older cheerleaders that used to be this flexible and are now either still this flexible or have developed damage from stretching so much over the years.

I don't mean any disrespect or to take away any of the impressiveness of these kids. I just would hate for them to have back issues or hip pain when they are older because of all this stretching when they were younger.

she looks like she is a dancer, so for that it would be really pretty, but for cheer it is a bit too much. while i love straightleg scorps i would prefer one slightly bent.

I agree!! For dance--especially ballet, I think the extreme flexibility looks beautiful, but like you said for cheer it is a bit too much. For cheer, I think "athletic" and the extreme flexibility somehow takes away from the athleticism. If that makes any sense...

I agree!! For dance--especially ballet, I think the extreme flexibility looks beautiful, but like you said for cheer it is a bit too much. For cheer, I think "athletic" and the extreme flexibility somehow takes away from the athleticism. If that makes any sense...

I completely agree with you and you made complete sense to me. Hahha but I don't think I can really explain it any different.

The pics of the needles or straight leg scorps are technically a "middle split" which is a scale with their torsos twisted. By looking at the pic above that you are referring to XTREMElyfierce, if the flyer were to twist her body and face the camera, it would be a scale. In order for it to be a true straight leg scorp (by definition) the knee needs to be facing backwards and her hip needs to be open to the back. It is hard to explain, but I will try:

My cp had problems with trying to pull her front heel stretch. She would always end up "popping her hip out" which would in turn make the leg turn out to the side. I think when many flyer try to pull their scorp really high they end up inadvertently popping their hip out which ends up turning their knee outward (or to the front).

You will really notice this hip popping action if you are laying down flat on your back and you have someone stretch your leg up into a front heel stretch. You will find that your hip will automatically want to pop out especially since most people are more flexible in the hips as opposed to the hamstrings (where the front heel stretch really stretches).

I hope this makes sense!!

The pics of the needles or straight leg scorps are technically a "middle split" which is a scale with their torsos twisted. By looking at the pic above that you are referring to XTREMElyfierce, if the flyer were to twist her body and face the camera, it would be a scale. In order for it to be a true straight leg scorp (by definition) the knee needs to be facing backwards and her hip needs to be open to the back. It is hard to explain, but I will try:

My cp had problems with trying to pull her front heel stretch. She would always end up "popping her hip out" which would in turn make the leg turn out to the side. I think when many flyer try to pull their scorp really high they end up inadvertently popping their hip out which ends up turning their knee outward (or to the front).

You will really notice this hip popping action if you are laying down flat on your back and you have someone stretch your leg up into a front heel stretch. You will find that your hip will automatically want to pop out especially since most people are more flexible in the hips as opposed to the hamstrings (where the front heel stretch really stretches).

I hope this makes sense!!

yesss that made total sense! thank youuu :)

Back