OT Books

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I read the 50 Shades of Grey series. Here's my take - There was an underlying story line that was entertaining. The sex scenes were initially part of the story and character development and then became gratuitous and seemed to just be the same thing again and again. Especially over the course of 3 books. They were okay - but no Harry Potter. :)

Oh god, don't even get me started on that series.....Take twilight, change the names and add a lot of....eh.....yeah. I don't see the fascination some people have with the series. The writing style isn't anything special and the books portray a fangirl fantasy, no real relationship content. Sigh. I've read the first two due to friends' insistence, but stopped.

Ok I've read both series multiple times and I cannot see the connection between twilight and 50 shades. It's just not there for me. What's the connection other than multiple websites saying there is one? I personally liked the 50 shades story line and I saw a real character development. IDK, maybe because I can relate to it on a few levels?

Aw. :( I am a huge potter fan so it is sad for me to see this. I hope that it was the genre that turned you off cause I know that the genre is not for everyone and not something else because it really is a good tale of love and friendship.

Its not the genre (like I said, I'm a librarian, if I have the desire to read any book I can read any book from start to finish)...I just flat out don't have the interest in reading Harry Potter. It didn't interest me when people started reading them in high school. It doesn't interest me now at 26. For one of my YA/Childrens Lit collection devolopment class projects I steered clear of the series. It just doesn't entice me. I have also not seen any of the movies and I never will.

Its not the genre (like I said, I'm a librarian, if I have the desire to read any book I can read any book from start to finish)...I just flat out don't have the interest in reading Harry Potter. It didn't interest me when people started reading them in high school. It doesn't interest me now at 26. For one of my YA/Childrens Lit collection devolopment class projects I steered clear of the series. It just doesn't entice me. I have also not seen any of the movies and I never will.

Guess it's not for everyone!

Lol I just wanted to add. I work with 2 other librarians. None of us have read Harry Potter. I'm the only one that has read the Twilight and Hunger Games series.

Ok I've read both series multiple times and I cannot see the connection between twilight and 50 shades. It's just not there for me. What's the connection other than multiple websites saying there is one? I personally liked the 50 shades story line and I saw a real character development. IDK, maybe because I can relate to it on a few levels?
If I'm remembering correctly, 50 Shades was originally a piece of Twilight fan fiction.

I've seen that I just don't see the connection between the two series.

It's Twilight fan fiction in an alternate universe. That kind of fan fiction exists. So in this, there's no supernatural stuff, and it all takes place in a different setting and the characters have different backgrounds. Christian is Edward, the main character is Bella. Her male friend is Jacob, you can see Edward's family in Christian's family, etc.

She changed the names and got the book published.

A book that was recommended last summer on the book thread that I read was "cinderella society" - even though I'm older than the target audience I really enjoyed reading it.

Other than that I also recommend all books by Sophie Kinsella - those are usually the ones I read during the semester next to all that uni stuff because it gives my brain a break.

I also really liked the Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke. Those books might be something for all those Harry Potter fans (even though I didn't like HP too much).

And my favorite author is "Rafik Schami" - a lot of his stories take place in Damaskus and even though I've never been there he has a way of writing that makes me feel like i've lived there for a couple of years. He is awesome at telling stories and you never know which parts are real and which are only an invention of his mind.

Latest posts

Back