All-Star Cea Chicago

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

She was caught so off guard that she broke her apartment lease that she split with two other ICE people a couple weeks prior to her being fired.

Just to clarify Kaley has not broken her lease and, in fact, Eric and Cody still live there and were taking care of her dogs until a few days ago. At this point if they leave she has triple the rent to pay. Please get your facts straight before you spread that kind of non-sense. Rent in downtown Chicago is not cheap, btw.

This situation sucks for everyone involved. Both of Kaleys teams were contenders for NCA wins, does anyone really believe that's the sign of a coach who wasn't committed to her team?

Can we discuss how many athletes were taken from both Frost and Pa55ion to help make Lady Lightning and Thunder successful? Maybe that's the reason she was a little off this season.

Why can't a child commit to her coach and her team? Why can't a family chose to stick with their coach over their team? Why is that lack of loyalty?

Honestly I think staying loyal to your coach when you don't know what is going to happen shows more loyalty than sticking to a gym that you know is successful and has all the tools to continue as such.

There is no set location for this season and there is no set location for next season. All we have today is Faith, Pa55ion, and the love for our coach who has made our children's dreams come true.

Anyone who knows Kaley can attest to her love for her kids. Bottom line, end of story. It's what she lives for and there aren't many coaches like that here in Illinois. And for the record she did not ask one athlete to leave with her. These kids did so because of the loyalty they have for her and the love they share as a team. That's going to make them more successful than we can imagine.

Looking at the situation as a glass half full. ICE got rid of a coach that was leaving eventually. CEA got a coach looking for a gym. Kaley got out of a gym she was looking to leave. The new CEA athletes (former ICE athletes) aren't being forced to finish a season unhappy. ICE athletes that stayed aren't being forced to work with kids who want to leave and can move on and prosper. The only ones who seem like they'd be miserable are those that want to leave but either can't afford to do so or those that are being forced to stick it out which may turn in to a valuable life lesson as others have previously mentioned. See the whole thing is a good thing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No one to doubles, no standing doubles, no double punch doubles (or single doubles) was the final compromise.

The original proposal included banning standing fulls as well.

It did produce this gem of awesome (at 1:12) though, courtesy of Holden Ray:

(Worlds 2012 was kind of the YOLO Worlds and people threw craaaazy passes. and threw the District 12 hand gesture like it was a gang sign)

My favorite from Worlds that year was Rockstar Beatles voice over "it might be the last year to do a double twist" during their last pass. It had me cracking up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Just to clarify Kaley has not broken her lease and, in fact, Eric and Cody still live there and were taking care of her dogs until a few days ago. At this point if they leave she has triple the rent to pay. Please get your facts straight before you spread that kind of non-sense. Rent in downtown Chicago is not cheap, btw.

This situation sucks for everyone involved. Both of Kaleys teams were contenders for NCA wins, does anyone really believe that's the sign of a coach who wasn't committed to her team?

Can we discuss how many athletes were taken from both Frost and Pa55ion to help make Lady Lightning and Thunder successful? Maybe that's the reason she was a little off this season.

Why can't a child commit to her coach and her team? Why can't a family chose to stick with their coach over their team? Why is that lack of loyalty?

Honestly I think staying loyal to your coach when you don't know what is going to happen shows more loyalty than sticking to a gym that you know is successful and has all the tools to continue as such.

There is no set location for this season and there is no set location for next season. All we have today is Faith, Pa55ion, and the love for our coach who has made our children's dreams come true.

Anyone who knows Kaley can attest to her love for her kids. Bottom line, end of story. It's what she lives for and there aren't many coaches like that here in Illinois. And for the record she did not ask one athlete to leave with her. These kids did so because of the loyalty they have for her and the love they share as a team. That's going to make them more successful than we can imagine.

My facts are straight. Let me know where I said they weren't living there anymore - takes time to get a new place. The wheels were put in motion before she even got fired from ICE.

I have no ill will towards any of you or Kaley, and wish you all the best of luck. Everyone's going to have their own opinions but I'm not going to sit here and read a bunch of BS and trashing of ICE on this thread like you don't want to read it about Kaley either. The point of my post was for timeline purpose -- that it wasn't like she went in one day and surprise, all this happened. It wasn't a blindside.

As someone who took the same action and followed their coach to IA when nearly the same thing happened, believe me, I know where you're coming from. So again, good luck!

Last edited:
You could have invested $4k in a gym that goes under mid season...I'm not sure there is any type of guarantee that our (the paying consumer) investment is safe. At least in this scenario there still is a gym and other teams available.
Uh oh! We obviously need this regulated too, right @catlady ? :rolleyes:

You do realize there are laws in place for these situations, you are considered an unsecured creditor. In those situations you may or may not get anything back but, laws are in place to pay off people by priority when the assets are sold off.

There are other sports as mentioned earlier in this thread that have rules in place by their governing body, this is not a new concept I pulled out of thin air. While in this particular scenario everyone may be happy, love the fact that the majority of their team is no longer there, parents don't care about lost money in uniforms/comp fees and they others were placed on other teams or had to quit, fabulous, it worked out for them. But, to pretend this scenario and others like it don't bring up valid concerns on ethics and consumer protection is insane.

ETA: @BlueCat I respect your opinion and realize many aren't fond of more regulation by the USASF.

Last edited:
You do realize there are laws in place for these situations, you are considered an unsecured creditor. In those situations you may or may not get anything back but, laws are in place to pay off people by priority when the assets are sold off.

There are other sports as mentioned earlier in this thread that have rules in place by their governing body, this is not a new concept I pulled out of thin air. While in this particular scenario everyone may be happy, love the fact that the majority of their team is no longer there, parents don't care about lost money in uniforms/comp fees and they others were placed on other teams or had to quit, fabulous, it worked out for them. But, to pretend this scenario and others like it don't bring up valid concerns on ethics and consumer protection is insane.
Yes, I do.

Yes, in theory you could get money back but there is no guarantee. So again it still is a risky "investment". As someone who's been involved in a bankruptcy situation with regards to a business I can say we saw no refund. My family lost a lot of money (contractor for addition on home) and got nothing back because you cannot get blood from a stone. They sold equipment for pennies on the dollar and once subcontractors were paid there was nothing left for the customers. So my point remains, you could easily invest 4k in a gym and it could close and you could see nothing of that money. Cheer gyms for the most part have very few sellable assets especially if the location is leased.

Eta: I personally would be wary of paying any gym 4k upfront. I'm much more comfortable with our gym model which is more a pay as go (ie monthly) model. The comp fees are paid in advance but over a number of months and tuition is drafted monthly.

Last edited:
Looking at the situation as a glass half full. ICE got rid of a coach that was leaving eventually. CEA got a coach looking for a gym. Kaley got out of a gym she was looking to leave. The new CEA athletes (former ICE athletes) aren't being forced to finish a season unhappy. ICE athletes that stayed aren't being forced to work with kids who want to leave and can move on and prosper. The only ones who seem like they'd be miserable are those that want to leave but either can't afford to do so or those that are being forced to stick it out which may turn in to a valuable life lesson as others have previously mentioned. See the whole thing is a good thing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
After almost 40 pages, I've been trying to organize my thoughts and feelings on this and your post pretty much sums it up.

There's still so much of this story that we don't know, and shaming whoever is involved is just going to make this more difficult for everyone. Wishing ICE/CEA, parents, coaches, and athletes the best in all this madness.

Last edited:
Yes, in theory you could get money back but there is no guarantee. So again it still is a risky "investment". As someone who's been involved in a bankruptcy situation with regards to a business I can say we saw no refund. My family lost a lot of money (contractor for addition on home) and got nothing back because you cannot get blood from a stone. They sold equipment for pennies on the dollar and once subcontractors were paid there was nothing left for the customers. So my point remains, you could easily invest 4k in a gym and it could close and you could see nothing of that money. Cheer gyms for the most part have very few sellable assets especially if the location is leased.

Eta: I personally would be wary of paying any gym 4k upfront. I'm much more comfortable with our gym model which is more a pay as go (ie monthly) model. The comp fees are paid in advance but over a number of months and tuition is drafted monthly.

I never really thought about this side of the cheer industry. I also pay monthly with comp fees figured into that monthly fee, with a contract clause that the full amount of money is still owed for the season even if an athlete quits. No idea if it's enforced though. But @catlady is right, we are paying up front for services not rendered, and I have no idea what our consumer rights are. We aren't guaranteed a certain team, a certain coach or even a certain number of competitions in our contract, so I guess there are a lot of inherent dangers in this model. Not sure more USASF regulation is the most desirable solution, but it does seem like some sort of protection should be there?

I never really thought about this side of the cheer industry. I also pay monthly with comp fees figured into that monthly fee, with a contract clause that the full amount of money is still owed for the season even if an athlete quits. No idea if it's enforced though. But @catlady is right, we are paying up front for services not rendered, and I have no idea what our consumer rights are. We aren't guaranteed a certain team, a certain coach or even a certain number of competitions in our contract, so I guess there are a lot of inherent dangers in this model. Not sure more USASF regulation is the most desirable solution, but it does seem like some sort of protection should be there?

Lol, thank you, I was starting to believe I was the only one that didn't like losing money.

Ultimately, this scenario brings to light employee, employer, athlete, and consumer rights. Since they are all involved, the USASF as the governing body, should get advice from legal to best protect all parties involved. I don't have the answer but, legally and ethically, I know there is one.

I don't understand the concept of being able to live of a salary only coaching. Would someone care to explain? Is it per hour? A pre-negotiated amount payed monthly?

The salary here in Sweden is basically non-existent so I'm really curious how it works. :p

Back