All-Star Cea Chicago

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of one coach who has a day job and I'm not coming up with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
A lot of our coaches at MT have full time day jobs. At our previous gym it was the same way except for the Director and a few others. I guess I am getting old, because I get tired just thinking about their schedules LOL.

Am I the only one that took this to mean that CEA is able to pay their coaches enough to where coaching can be their full time job, and a day job isn't necessary to supplement income? Which to me would be goals

Assuming that's what this meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is a different concept between what is typically meant by full time vs cheer full time vs only choosing to work cheer because that is what you want to do.

When we think of full time as 40 hours a week plus benefits typically that is not what is offered in the cheerleading world, except to very, very, very few. Such a wage would truly be a living wage and would not necessitate working another job. There are many that are paid well but not necessarily at a full time/40 hour a week. Many do outside clinics, camps, judging, etc. to help supplement their industry income.

Many coaches (if not married) choose to room with each other to cut down expenses. Some of the larger gyms will actually buy or rent a house or apartment to put some coaches in cutting their expenses, buy cars, pay insurance, etc. Many of these coaches don't do anything else because they don't want to, not necessarily because they are getting a full time wage or salary. Many struggle financially which in part plays a big part in gym hopping especially among tumbling coaches. When I coached in NC (2004 - 2009) I was considered full time tumbling director, worked 6 days a week (7 if a competition weekend) and made less than 1000.00 monthly. That included privates. Well my rent was 900.00 monthly so you can see how that worked out and why I am no longer in that area.

Where CEA had helped their coaches more than many gyms in that area was in the area of private lessons, allowing them to contract them however the coach wanted directly with the parent. Knowing you were walking out of the gym each day with money that you earned for private lessons in your pocket was a great incentive for those coaches. The ability to make substantial amounts on private lessons typically offsets a low hourly wage or salary and makes it an acceptable proposition. Now again that has been years ago and I don't know if that is still their policy, especially since there is a movement industry wide to try to take that ability to be independent contractors away from coaches for liability, tax and insurance purposes.

Last edited:
I don't understand the concept of being able to live of a salary only coaching. Would someone care to explain? Is it per hour? A pre-negotiated amount payed monthly?

The salary here in Sweden is basically non-existent so I'm really curious how it works. :p

My last two positions in the cheerleading industry have been salary positions. The owners and I negotiated what my responsibilities would be and what I would be paid, and if there was any areas for me to be able to increase what I made through private lessons, clinics, camps, etc. Because I learned (finally) the discipline of budgeting I have been able to just do what I love. I do have other areas for income that I tap into time to time, but I am able to live full time in the industry. We have three other coaches at my gym that are full time as well.

I have no idea how or what CEA pays their coaches as I don't think it's my business, however I do know that two of the ones that coach there every day and are involved in Droplet's teams are also in college. I would assume that would make it impossible for them to work otherwise between going to school during the day and working late at the gym.

None of our cheer coaches have day jobs, but two of our tumbling coaches have day jobs. One is a police officer and the other is a teacher.

I'm surprised so many coaches work at some gyms. I can't imagine our coaches having time for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At css, almost all our coaches that are not in school work day jobs outside of cheer. One coach does all the gyms accounting as her "day job" but other than that, the majority of coaches have a main source of income that is not through the gym

im kinda surprised that many coaches have full time day jobs, i mean just from personal experience and what not, its kinda hard these days to find any form of 9-5 job, unless they've been doing it for 10-20 something years.

im kinda surprised that many coaches have full time day jobs, i mean just from personal experience and what not, its kinda hard these days to find any form of 9-5 job, unless they've been doing it for 10-20 something years.

We have quite a few with full time day jobs at our location. I know I personally Coach two teams, work a 40 hour a week day job, and go to school full time (18 credit hours a semester). I am not saying I have a life at all, but it can be done haha.

True. I live outside of Orlando. It takes me 20 mins to get to parts of Orlando, so I say I am from Orlando. Everyone knows Orlando. If I say where I actually live no one would know where I was talking about. There are so many suburbs around Orlando, it is easier to just say Orlando.
I think if you're less than an hour from a major city, it's safe to say you're "from" there. It's a point of reference.

Hypothetical: coach is fires/resigns. Needs to find a new job asap, as everyone would. Has this dream of running her own gym. In comes the opportunity from an established gym, to open an affiliate in your state, they will help start it off, find space etc. The coach knows theres a good chance of good high school cheerleaders coming on for a quarter team. Though if you wait too long they will be going elsewhere.. Why would they just sit around on their butt for months when the opportunity presents itself? I don't think alot of unemployed people would say no to an amazing job offering.

Yes everything that has unfolded is unfortunate, but I can't say I blame or don't understand the coach's actions tbh.
Just hard to believe these events would align as a big coincidence, imo.

We have quite a few with full time day jobs at our location. I know I personally Coach two teams, work a 40 hour a week day job, and go to school full time (18 credit hours a semester). I am not saying I have a life at all, but it can be done haha.

Yea, I don't think it's that ridiculous. I work 40 hours a week as a restaurant manager, intern for 10 hours a week, and attend college full time. I make a decent amount at my job but paying bills leaves me with almost no savings for the next month. I can't imagine coaches are making a lot more than minimum wage (unless they are really, really good), so paying bills must be a pain!

Also, it's a cool idea to have a "coaches house/apartment." Like the Real World, but cheerleader style?

I don't know if this is already stated or not, but if so please, please forgive me (its hard reading 41 pages). While this may be an odd location, and not a lot demographics, revenue etc for another gym to be here, especially with two already "suffering", this is CEA we are talking about. A foundation that already has nine locations throughout NC. Not to mention I think the owner was just on Say yes to the dress, and this may be just a conspiracy of mine (facts have yet to be proven) but maybe that has something to do with sudden new location? Maybe some how the Say yes to the dress people has endorse the business to allow it to be successful in Chicago. To have a nine location gym the owners must be pretty smart people. I'm sure they wouldn't locate in an area that wouldn't be successful and would hurt them financially.

What I would be more concerned about are the other gyms that could possibly go out of business because of the new gym "Big and bad" " ever so famous gym" has arrived.

I've heard some not so good things about Cheer extreme owner lately, can anyone tell me if its true or not? (please just inbox this part, don't feel its appropriate to publicly post that kind of stuff)

I don't know if this is already stated or not, but if so please, please forgive me (its hard reading 41 pages). While this may be an odd location, and not a lot demographics, revenue etc for another gym to be here, especially with two already "suffering", this is CEA we are talking about. A foundation that already has nine locations throughout NC. Not to mention I think the owner was just on Say yes to the dress, and this may be just a conspiracy of mine (facts have yet to be proven) but maybe that has something to do with sudden new location? Maybe some how the Say yes to the dress people has endorse the business to allow it to be successful in Chicago. To have a nine location gym the owners must be pretty smart people. I'm sure they wouldn't locate in an area that wouldn't be successful and would hurt them financially.

What I would be more concerned about are the other gyms that could possibly go out of business because of the new gym "Big and bad" " ever so famous gym" has arrived.

I've heard some not so good things about Cheer extreme owner lately, can anyone tell me if its true or not? (please just inbox this part, don't feel its appropriate to publicly post that kind of stuff)

I doubt that episode had anything to do with it. Quick timeline; ICE Coach K was planning to branch out with her own gym next season, ICE caught wind and terminated her, Coach K's plans happened 3-4 months before schedule. The majority of Coach K's teams stayed loyal to her and not the ICE program...CEA Chicago now has functioning teams that are set to compete in less than 2 weeks.

As for the rest, there are always rumors and gossip, especially where CEA is concerned; I wouldn't pay any mind to what is and isn't true, because it likely doesn't matter and/or effect you.

I doubt that episode had anything to do with it. Quick timeline; ICE Coach K was planning to branch out with her own gym next season, ICE caught wind and terminated her, Coach K's plans happened 3-4 months before schedule. The majority of Coach K's teams stayed loyal to her and not the ICE program...CEA Chicago now has functioning teams that are set to compete in less than 2 weeks.

As for the rest, there are always rumors and gossip, especially where CEA is concerned; I wouldn't pay any mind to what is and isn't true, because it likely doesn't matter and/or effect you.

Thank you and I can definitely see where some ethic policies might have people questioning Cheer Extreme and their intentions, but so as long as these students CHOSE to go with coach K I don't see what the big deal was. It would be different if CEA went to ICE and disturbed practice or intentionally advertised at a comp saying they were opening a new location bigger and better come join us, but they didn't do that so I don't see what the big stink is about. I also don't understand why ICE wouldn't be supportive of one of their former coaches wanting to have her own gym? Isn't that many all star coaches dream any way to have their own program? I'm not understanding what's the big stink about that either. I'm sorry, but If I wanted my own gym one day I'd want my former trainers, and co-workers to be supportive of me not against me. That's very ignorant it seems. (rhetorical question)

The reason why I think that the TV show had something to do with it is because it all seemed to happen within the same time frame, and this is also very sudden. Most current gyms who have wishes to open up a new location make some sort of pre-announcement about it, and lots of advertising especially on Social Media months before its Grand opening. This is my first time hearing of this new location, and I follow the CEA pages on Facebook, and check their sites every now and again either I must have missed something or they just literally decided to suddenly open a new gym, but like I said just a conspiracy unfortunately I don't have enough facts to back that up.

Back