All-Star Cea Chicago

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I thought this was in the works since the summer? Couldn't they have found a place further away? And not use the same team name? I mean, that just blows my mind that they're using the same team name and the same team Twitter account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel after reading everything, I don't really have too much of an opinion either way at this point, but using the same team names is the big ewww to me.

I'm about to get defensive. And it's long so if you want to keep reading about ICE/CEA skip this post.

Never once did I say that I thought pushing through misery is the greater teacher. I said it taught me great life lessons and provided me with mental strength - coping mechanisms and ways to sit back and reflect on things that happened to move me forward. And never once will I ever compare someone's mental health story with someone else's because they are both valid and both important. I was just saying that sometimes its good to push through the disappointment.

Let me also say that no one in my family "stood on the sidelines" while I was at that gym. Maybe I'm presenting it like it was awful but you are assuming a lot about my situation.

Not that it's really your personal business, though I know I wrote that stuff on a public forum so I guess it's fair game to anyone,but there are really two things you should keep in mind before you decide to stick with your opinion about me and my family.

1. I was in that gym for 8 years and the second to last year is when things really started to going down hill. My last year there, promises were made by the staff that things would get better from the previous year, they didn't. I decided that year was going to be my last and that I would finish it out no matter what - for my friends. My gym had a very large percentage of fairly underprivileged kids who really didn't have a great home life, who lived in the inner city or the outskirts where money is tight, there were foster kids who were beat down by the system and saw hard times, lots of kids with emotional and behavioral issues, etc. About 3/4 of the program was that. My parents were actually coaches my first 6 years there when things were ok. They both quit their last seasons after being treated poorly because they tried to fix what was happening - the behavior issues, the money issues, the security - and they were met with complete disrespect by the owner day in and day out. My parents were so committed to this gym, you have no idea. They bought the gym it's gymnastic mats because the gym literally had no tumbling mats. My dad built stunt stands for flyers, those boxes you jump up on like you see in crossfit, training tools for bases. He worked with our tumbling coach to get conditioning stations in place and then built all the equipment we needed for them because our gym couldn't afford to buy any. My parents got certified up to level 4 even though our gym only went up to level 3. They got their judges certification so they could be better coaches for these kids. They did this for free. All of the equipment my dad built he did it out of his own pocket. My parents are not that well off either. They tried to change it and fix it, they did not stand on the sidelines but you can only take so much until it beats you down. They finished their seasons and then resigned. The last two years they weren't coaching, they were still involved with the gym. They would drive kids too and from practices, they would buy kids food if their parents didn't send them with food, always on the buses, always team chaperones, always there for the kids. At the same time, they were there with me, so I always felt safe even if something was happening. They tried their best and the gym eventually crumbled, then merged, then crumbled again, and was eventually bought out. But they were there the entire time I was there. Not on the sidelines. Caring about some of these kids' cheer lives more than their own parents did. For you to assume they did nothing and are guilty of whatever you think they're guilty for is really hurtful to me. My parent's sacrificed so much for other people's kids. To me, that's the real Suzie's Mom and Suzie's Dad. (For those of you not up to speed, hi, my name is Suzie.) It's not their fault that kids (and adults) misbehaved. It broke their hearts to have to quit coaching because they loved it and loved the hard-to-love kids on my team. They left the cheer world when I switched gyms. I made the absolute most of my last two years of eligibility at Gym B. I loved it and I worked hard at it and for it.

2. Cheering at the only other gym in the area that was worth going to wasn't an option until I was 16 and could fundraise the $$ to cheer myself, which I did. I fundraised it all. My area is not like many other areas of the country where you have multiple gyms to choose from. Even now, I think Syracuse only has 2 gyms. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) And if you're a very strong level 5 athlete and want a good Worlds contender team, then you drive out of state - MA of NJ or just leave home and live with someone else. So you can't just "find another gym." Sometimes it's a matter of you cheer or you don't cheer. Maybe you wouldn't let your kid cheer at all if you couldn't afford Gym B and you won't enroll your child in Gym A, that's your prerogative. But to criminalize people who want to cheer so bad and can only afford Gym A and will put up with the stuff that happens there just so they can cheer isn't right IMO. We don't have options.

Yes, looking back there are moments that stick out that I say "why was I still there at that point" or "how did my parents trust me enough to be in that situation". But if I was in any real, immediate danger my parents would've pulled me. If they weren't constantly in the gym and knew all the kids and parents themselves, I definitely wouldn't have cheered at all. They were more committed to my cheer than a lot of parents are to any of their children's activities. And they were more committed to my team mate's cheer than their own parents.

You don't have to apologize if you still feel that my parents and I are awful people for some reason or another but at least get your facts straight first.

Whoa. I know you aren't directing this at me but none of this was presented in the initial scenario. So, as a parent I'm assuming someone thought "Wow, if that was my kid, I would have pulled them from that horrible and sometimes illegal environment".

Hearing the whole story it makes a lot more sense why you (and your parents) decided to stick it out. You ALL had a lot of time, money, energy, and love poured into that situation. Even now, it's clear to me that this place meant a lot to you.

From an outsider knowing only what you put out here, I would just say it may have helped to hear a little more about the story before you assume people were judging you. I certainly wasn't, I was just saying "given the limited set of facts, I wouldn't keep my kid or my money there."

@Eyes On The Prize I'm quoting you directly for what my comments were specifically aimed at,

"Coaches doing drugs with athletes in hotel rooms, athletes sleeping together, the owners pocketing money from the gym and saying we can't afford to attend comps, coaches sabatoging the success of other teams in the gym out of jealousy, team mates being arrested and thrown in jail hours before a competition, athletes breaking into the gym and stealing money."

The four things in bold specifically involve illegal activity and at no point do I think it's okay to be involved with it. I realize the position you were in was unique to your area, but you're right---I wouldn't have let my child cheer if this was her only option. Cheer is not worth being associated with any form of illegal activity that could potentially ruin her life forever. No lesson or moral or value would ever be worth a high enough pro to outweigh the con and that seems like our fundamental difference.

And for what it's worth, I don't think you are a horrible person.

I'm not looking at this particular situation and I'm not going to get into who's right and wrong because, I don't think any of us truly know. I am, however, looking at this from the potential of a similar situation happening to me as a consumer. The problem I see, is that I'm not protected from loss. We can debate what should have happened in this situation until the cows come home but, I would like to see something implemented in the future so, we aren't left with uniforms, comp fees, and plane tickets that can't be used.

When it's your $4,000 plus dollars we will talk.:deathdrop:
So you choose to protect your own interests by giving absolute power to the owners, while disregarding the lives of coaches who may get the short end of the stick. Hmmmm....no need to talk about it, I think I got you.

I don't think a USASF rule will give you anymore protecting because let's be real---how many rules are constantly violated anyway? However, what do you think about contracts stating that in situations such as these, the gyms refund the consumer?

The USASF prohibits World's athletes from gym jumping so, they can prevent their consumers from being ripped off, as well. You and I both know a gym that has already paid for and received uniforms, and paid for non refundable comp fees, is not going to be able to refund you your money, they would have to file bankruptcy in most cases. We are talking about highly desired coaches when the majority of the team follows them. ANY gym owner would be happy to get that talent at the expense of forfeiting the ability to start up new teams mid season.

So you choose to protect your own interests by giving absolute power to the owners, while disregarding the lives of coaches who may get the short end of the stick. Hmmmm....no need to talk about it, I think I got you.
Hmmmmm, I choose to protect the interests of tens of thousands of consumers over the interests of a highly desired coach that any gym would be willing to wait to start new teams until next season for.:rolleyes:

So, as a paying consumer, it isn't ridiculous to have invested $4,000 plus for a team that no longer exists at your gym?
You could have invested $4k in a gym that goes under mid season...I'm not sure there is any type of guarantee that our (the paying consumer) investment is safe. At least in this scenario there still is a gym and other teams available.

I don't know enough details to really comment on the gym opening. However, some have suggested that USASF should make some new rules to regulate gyms/coaches/athletes in these type of situations. I have some philosophical objections to that, but, more pointedly, I have some practical objections. USASF has enough difficulty handling the tasks and regulations we already give them. If/when they can efficiently handle what is already on their plate - THEN we can talk about other things they should try to control.

I don't know enough about the details to really comment on the gym opening. However, some have suggested that USASF should make some new rules to regulate gyms/coaches/athletes in these type of situations. I have some philosophical differences with that, but, more pointedly, I have some practical differences. USASF has enough difficulty handling the tasks and regulations already in place. If/when they get to the point where they can efficiently handle what is already on their plate - THEN we can talk about other things they should try to control.

A thousand shimmies!

Hmmmmm, I choose to protect the interests of tens of thousands of consumers over the interests of a highly desired coach that any gym would be willing to wait to start new teams until next season for.:rolleyes:
And what about the average coach? What about the spiteful gym owner. Cheer gyms are certainly not a utopia of goodness and wonderful people. There are many good ones and just as many that are shady.

Ohhh wait! Almost forgot the :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You could have invested $4k in a gym that goes under mid season...I'm not sure there is any type of guarantee that our (the paying consumer) investment is safe. At least in this scenario there still is a gym and other teams available.

Uh oh! We obviously need this regulated too, right @catlady ? :rolleyes:

One question as I keep seeing it discussed about how this coach needed a job right away for income. Is it common for cheer coaches to not have another job? Every single cheer coach I have had/had contact with has had a regular day job, too. So that wouldn't necessarily be a factor.

Also, the snark from some people in this thread is crazy.

ETA: Besides gym owners.

I know quite a few coaches whose sole job is coaching. No other "outside" job. I think it really just depends on the individual and the gym. But looking back on my CPs 8 seasons cheering I would say the majority of her coaches have not had other jobs.

Whoa. I know you aren't directing this at me but none of this was presented in the initial scenario. So, as a parent I'm assuming someone thought "Wow, if that was my kid, I would have pulled them from that horrible and sometimes illegal environment".

Hearing the whole story it makes a lot more sense why you (and your parents) decided to stick it out. You ALL had a lot of time, money, energy, and love poured into that situation. Even now, it's clear to me that this place meant a lot to you.

From an outsider knowing only what you put out here, I would just say it may have helped to hear a little more about the story before you assume people were judging you. I certainly wasn't, I was just saying "given the limited set of facts, I wouldn't keep my kid or my money there."

No no, not directed at you but thank you. I realize that what I said previously left out a lot of info but it wasn't important to my initial post of sticking through with a commitment unless you were physically or mentally being hurt. I honestly figured id get some sort of backlash from @SL&AM so I was like "well, I'll just wait and see to avoid oversharing" because I don't really like talking about that gym. (There are still conflicting feelings and the last moments I had there were confusing. Plus the owner passed away a few years ago from very aggressive cancer and it feels weird to be mad at a dead person or to speak ill of her when for a few years she was a very positive part of my life.) So it is what it is. That situation, along with the ICE/CEA situation have lots of grey areas and lots of emotions tied to big decisions, so right and wrong get all mucked up. The "right" decision is different for everyone. I see both sides but one side tugs more at my moral compass than the other.

@SL&AM hmm alrighty then

Back