All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If I remember correctly, I believe you said that your Charlotte location grew faster than you had anticipated it to. Do you think the same kind of growth will happen in Columbus? Are you doing anything different for Columbus because of the popularity of Charlotte?

Charlotte has been roughly on the path we expected/hoped. One of main things we have changed since the first "expansion" gym we opened is to make sure that we have room to grow in the facility.

Do you worry that continuing to send veteran coaches out to direct new locations will hurt Plano by no longer having those coaches?

That is certainly a concern. As I stated previously, this is probably the main reason our pace of growth is slow relative to some of the other "mega-programs."

On the flip side, we also feel that the career opportunities we are able provide our staff help us attract some of the top coaching talent in the world. Our system allows for professional growth and the potential for building a sustainable career. Also, a slow, controlled turnover at the top of our staff within a location gives the future "rock-star" type coaches the chance to advance and shine.

Last edited:
We anticipate giving the address and details about the facility within a few days. Regarding the teams, we don't know teams until after tryouts. (That is true at any of our facilities.) We will make the strongest teams possible from the people trying out.
so there is never any expectation of the number of teams that you can field based on some sort of market analysis and previous experience from the openings of previous locations? or would you say its more of a gamble and just hope for the best?

so there is never any expectation of the number of teams that you can field based on some sort of market analysis and previous experience from the openings of previous locations? or would you say its more of a gamble and just hope for the best?

The first year is difficult to predict, but we do have some expectations based on previous openings. We select the facility itself more on where we think the program will be in about the 3rd year than the first season. We go into a new city planning to be there a long time. Charlotte is the closest parallel to Ohio and we fully expect this year (their 3rd) to be easily their largest so far.

The exact age divisions and level are much tougher to guess, but I would be surprised if we didn't have at least 1 Worlds-division team. We will take the pool of athletes that try out and make the best possible teams out them, just like we do in every location.

The first year is difficult to predict, but we do have some expectations based on previous openings. We select the facility itself more on where we think the program will be in about the 3rd year than the first season. We go into a new city planning to be there a long time.

The exact age divisions and level are much tougher to guess, but I would be surprised if we didn't have at least 1 Worlds-division team. We will take the pool of athletes that try out and make the best possible teams out them, just like we do in every location.
I wish you much success

That is certainly a concern. As I stated previously, this is probably the main reason our pace of growth is slow relative to some of the other "mega-programs."

On the flip side, we also feel that the career opportunities we are able provide our staff help us attract some of the top coaching talent in the world. Our system allows for professional growth and the potential for building a sustainable career. Also, a slow, controlled turnover at the top of our staff within a location gives the future "rock-star" type coaches the chance to advance and shine.

Do you pick a location based on where your choice of director is willing to go? Or do you pick your director based on who is willing to go to the location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What made you guys choose Columbus Ohio?

Not an exhaustive list, but a rough list of reasons:
  1. Strong demographics that can support a large program and facility
  2. Strong overall cheer tradition in the area
  3. Affordability/availability of a suitable building
  4. The belief that our product is substantially different from the product available in the area.
  5. Director wants to move/live there.

Do you pick a location based on where your choice of director is willing to go? Or do you pick your director based on who is willing to go to the location?

Mix of the two, but there are a very limited number of people we consider for directorships at any given time, so where they want to go is probably more important.

4. The belief that our product is substantially different from the product available in the area.
How many cities did you guys start off looking at? Was there a close second or was ohio the obvious choice?

Can u explain number 4 more? What is it about your product that is different from what is already available?

How many cities did you guys start off looking at? Was there a close second or was ohio the obvious choice?
We have a running "short list" of about 4-5 areas that we are actively researching. Occasionally we will change out members of that list, but putting a gym in the Midwest has been on there for a while. It was in the top 3 when we opened Charlotte, but made it's way to #1 for 2016. (I am not going to share or even give hints about that list.)

Can u explain number 4 more? What is it about your product that is different from what is already available?

To fully answer that question would take hours, but I only have a couple minutes at the moment.

The short version is that we believe we have a fantastic year-round experience for the athletes and their families. Whether it is practices, show-offs, or competitions, the "on-the-mat" environment is generally a fun, rewarding, and positive experience for the athletes. We feel we have a great balance between effective, efficient, productive coaching and "hugs and high 5s". Athletes tend to leave practices tired, but with a smile on their face and feeling great about themselves and what they have accomplished.

To a lesser extent, but still important - there is value to feeling like you are part of a large community of like-minded athletes and families from across the country. It is fun to be a part of the CA Family.

I understand that most gyms feel they do all of this well. Many of them do, I'm sure. I am admittedly incredibly biased, but I believe we provide a world-class experience that is as good as anyone anywhere.

Last edited:
To fully answer that question would take hours, but I only have a couple minutes at the moment.

The short version is that we believe we have a fantastic year-round experience for the athletes and their families. Whether it is practices, show-offs, or competitions, the "on-the-mat" environment is generally a fun, rewarding, and positive experience for the athletes. We feel we have a great balance between effective, efficient, productive coaching and "hugs and high 5s". Athletes tend to leave practices tired, but with a smile on their face and feeling great about themselves and what they have accomplished.

To a lesser extent, but still important - there is value to feeling like you are part of a large community of like-minded athletes and families from across the country. It is fun to be a part of the CA Family.

I understand that most gyms feel they do all of this well. Many of them do, I'm sure. I am admittedly incredibly biased, but I believe we provide a world-class experience that is as good as anyone anywhere.
Thanks for answering. Can u give an idea of where in Columbus you guys are going to be located? East, west??

Thanks for answering. Can u give an idea of where in Columbus you guys are going to be located? East, west??

I'd like to know as well. I know there's an open gym in the Polaris area and one in the Galena area, but the east side is highly suspicious right now considering the timing. I'd also presume east side bc they say CA Columbus, not CA Westerville or Galena, or another suburb...unless they aren't being literal.

Edited for clarification.

Last edited:
Back