All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Does CA currently use alternates for their World teams? If so, how does it work? Also, how does being an alternate work when it comes to tuition?

I am amazed with the synchronization of your youth aged kids and below their flawless technique is just an added bonus. What techniques/methods do you use for that age range when attention spans are sorter, focus isn't quite there yet, and many of them don't like to count throughout the routine.

Does CA currently use alternates for their World teams? If so, how does it work? Also, how does being an alternate work when it comes to tuition?

We often end up with alternates on our older, higher level teams. We don't typically set anyone as "alternate" until later in the season. When that does happen, we will typically try to offer them a full-time home where they are in the routine and let them basically cross-compete with their original team (as alternate). That is case-by-case and depends on the needs of other teams and the wishes of the athlete. We try to give all of the athletes as much notice as possible that they are potentially in this situation, hopefully giving them time to correct any issues they may be having or learn/re-gain the skill set they need.

All of that being said, the teams and coaches usually handle these case-by-case. There is no absolute standard on a timeline for this or requirements for how it is handled. Generally, the athletes expected to fully participate in workouts and assuming they are in good standing, will receive any prizes the team gets. There is typically no change in their tuition.

All of that being said, our goal is to get every healthy athlete on the floor as much as possible.

For what it is worth, I started my cheer career as an alternate at Baylor University.

Last edited:
I am amazed with the synchronization of your youth aged kids and below their flawless technique is just an added bonus. What techniques/methods do you use for that age range when attention spans are sorter, focus isn't quite there yet, and many of them don't like to count throughout the routine.

I haven't coached that age group in a very long time, but I can remember how challenging that can be. I don't think there is a single set of magic guidelines for making it work, but I think a lot of it has to with the coaches' expectations of the athletes. If you expect the youth athletes to learn/perform like juniors or seniors, they often will live up to that.

How many competitions does a regular CA team attend, not including Worlds/summit? Of those events how many require travel/hotel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How many competitions does a regular CA team attend, not including Worlds/summit? Of those events how many require travel/hotel?

It varies significantly by gym and even by team, but they typically compete at 5-6 events, not counting Worlds, Summit, or Blue Debut. I would guess that a couple of those involve significant travel that would usually require a hotel stay.

It varies significantly by gym and even by team, but they typically compete at 5-6 events, not counting Worlds, Summit, or Blue Debut. I would guess that a couple of those involve significant travel that would usually require a hotel stay.

Thank you Blue Cat. So the average team attends 5-6 events.

Thank you Blue Cat. So the average team attends 5-6 events.

That is around the median for our teams - if you don't count Blue Debut (our showcase event) and the events that require bids. It can vary depending on the team's situation. Entry fees have skyrocketed in the last few years, so we are very careful with where we go to make sure that we are getting a good value for our entry fee dollars.

That is around the median for our teams - if you don't count Blue Debut (our showcase event) and the events that require bids. It can vary depending on the team's situation. Entry fees have skyrocketed in the last few years, so we are very careful with where we go to make sure that we are getting a good value for our entry fee dollars.

Will your non-Texas gyms be traveling for Blue Debut or "teleconferencing" in like they did last season?

If not, will this ever be part of the plan?

Will your non-Texas gyms be traveling for Blue Debut or "teleconferencing" in like they did last season?

If not, will this ever be part of the plan?

Charlotte and Columbus will have their own Blue Debuts. Columbus is the same day as the Texas gyms, but Charlotte's will be later.

Having everyone together for BD would be a fantastic experience, but I don't see them traveling in for it primarily because of the cost involved. At this point, we want all of our gyms competing at NCA, so asking them to ALSO fly in for Blue Debut is a little much.

Of your 5-6 events how many would you say are 2 day events?

Can I just say that I've spent the past three days reading this thread in its entirety and Cheer Athletics as an organisation never ceases to amaze me. I'm from the UK so had only really heard of Cali Allstars SMOED from the youtube series but from reading this (lengthy) thread I've really seen how Cheer Athletics has grown while still maintaining their personal ethos of every athlete counting as much as their peers.

You've gained another massive fan @BlueCat and I wish you every success! Now if you are ever in desperate need for the heavily sought after decent level 2/ropey level 3 21 year old stunter who can do an ugly roundoff and did a back walkover that one time I SUPPOSE I could do you a favour and take a trip over ;)

I saw that CA is offering tutoring. Is this service provided by coaches? Is there a cost associated? I think this is a great idea- just curious how it works.

We have some coaches that have a strong enough academic background and will be involved, but it won't be limited to people who coach teams necessarily. There is a cost involved and it is similar to a private lesson. We are definitely excited to see how this service goes.

For more specific information, contact Cameron Jones at [email protected].

Back