All-Star Cheerleaders Season 2!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

...There is a lifetime to get a degree, to do freshman year, to wear a suit and go to work, to pay off student loans and mortgages and insurance. But you're only able to be an athlete for a finite period. Your body can only do what it does for a limited amount of time. We all agree that cheer teaches life lessons beyond the mat; life lessons don't stop when high school ends, and life lessons don't have a geographical boundary. Live and let live, a good heart wins.

Preach!! :cheering: ♥

Just to clarify: i never judged anyone , i just could not imagine doing it, let alone money wise.No judgement intended whatsoever. I bet it is a great experience though

While in my twenties I spent years living in foreign countries. I moved by myself for my job. I had no host family to ease me into my new way of life. Nor did I even speak the language. I was a female in a male dominated field of work which further complicated matters. Not all countries are as liberal as the US when it comes to gender roles. It was difficult at times and you definitely experience culture shock. I felt all alone because, well...I was alone. But, I wouldn't change a thing. Though my job took me to these countries what I hoped to gain from the experience had nothing to do with work. And, I wasn't disappointed.

These athletes are young and dare I say brave to make these moves. There will be difficult moments for sure. But, they will walk away with having had such a rich experience that they'll be telling their Grandkids about it fifty years from now. If you have the talent and the guts, and the opportunity I say go for it. You don't have many opportunities like this in your lifetime. Make the most of it and you'll take away beautiful memories.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
The difference in your story is that you as a young adult moved for a paying job. This is in no way though passing judgement on any of the athletes who choose to move solely for cheer and have the means to (as @BowCat said above).

What's more annoying: an upfront announcement, or pages of speculation about why athlete x wasn't at gym A's tryouts and why athlete y isn't cheering and blah blah blah?

What's more annoying: an upfront announcement, or pages of speculation about why athlete x wasn't at gym A's tryouts and why athlete y isn't cheering and blah blah blah?

i said previously that i don't mind the actual announcements, especially considering the thousands of crazy fangirls tweeting at them asking what team they made. but it can probably be said in 140 characters or less. it's the formal announcements with paragraphs, sending your farewell into CU, of your thanks and that you "hope everyone can forgive you." it does not require a 3 paragraph explanation. you shouldn't have to explain yourself to anyone. who cares if they don't "forgive you?" live your life.

i think my frustration may even be more with the "fans" who feel they are entitled to information and owed an explanation. they actually have resentment that so and so isn't cheering on their favorite team. HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY HAVE A LIFE WITHOUT CHEERING ON *INSERT TEAM NAME HERE*?! it's insane. and the farewells are just feeding into it.

The difference in your story is that you as a young adult moved for a paying job. This is in no way though passing judgement on any of the athletes who choose to move solely for cheer and have the means to (as @BowCat said above).
I don't see where the huge expense comes into the picture. The athlete that moves out of state (or out of country) eats regardless of where they live. Likewise, clothes are necessary no matter where they live. At home they probably drive a car so they must pay gas, insurance, maintenance. Those expenses won't exist any longer. The expense to cheer would exist whether at home or out of state. School is no different. The only added expense would be any monies paid to the host family for housing an athlete. I'm not even sure they pay anything to the host family. After all, foreign exchange students don't pay host families. In addition SMOED has numerous fundraisers that are very successful. So, where is the huge expense involved ? Heck, they may save money by moving out of state..ha! ha!

The one added expense I can see is the cost required to fly the athlete home for the holidays. Otherwise, I don't see a huge expense involved. I'm sure there are costs that I've overlooked. But it's not like the athlete has to pay for an apartment, buy a car, attend private school etc. It's more like spending a weekend at a friends house. A very long weekend. And in exchange for the athlete's personal sacrifice they have grueling practices and priceless memories.

I don't see where the huge expense comes into the picture. The athlete that moves out of state (or out of country) eats regardless of where they live. Likewise, clothes are necessary no matter where they live. At home they probably drive a car so they must pay gas, insurance, maintenance. Those expenses won't exist any longer. The expense to cheer would exist whether at home or out of state. School is no different. The only added expense would be any monies paid to the host family for housing an athlete. I'm not even sure they pay anything to the host family. After all, foreign exchange students don't pay host families. In addition SMOED has numerous fundraisers that are very successful. So, where is the huge expense involved ? Heck, they may save money by moving out of state..ha! ha!

The one added expense I can see is the cost required to fly the athlete home for the holidays. Otherwise, I don't see a huge expense involved. I'm sure there are costs that I've overlooked. But it's not like the athlete has to pay for an apartment, buy a car, attend private school etc. It's more like spending a weekend at a friends house. A very long weekend. And in exchange for the athlete's personal sacrifice they have grueling practices and priceless memories.

Lol you're forgetting the price of exchange. Especially if it's someone out of the country. Most currency compared to the US you are spending more to change your $$ for example Canadian money to US money.

Last edited:
Lol you're forgetting the price of exchange. Especially if it's someone out of the country. Most currency compared to the US you are spending more to change your example Canadian money to US money.
What is the exchange rate between New Zealand and the US ? Ha! Just wondering.:)

My two cents: I don't care if people move across the country or the world to be on a team. I've uncovered what does bug me is the whole big announcements and big deals made about it, adding more to the whole cheerlebrity craze.
And how does CheerUpdates know all of this stuff? Is he like bffs with every cheerleader on a worlds team with over 25k twitter followers? I'm curious to know how much the athlete themselves put into what CU posts. Do they contact him and give him the scoop or does he somehow find out this stuff and just posts it without their consent?
DJ has a knack for getting people to open up to him. Back when cu first started I don't know how much authorization he had to reveal stuff but do know recently he has been working with people and making announcements for them. As I have previously said I am sure he knows more than he is allowed to reveal but an sure has slipped up on occasion.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Coming soon, Cheer Dad's gofundme retirement account. Stay tuned

Reactions: Ems
@Edie I shimmied you because I think you're awesome, also your use of 'trite.'

Also- there's one point of 'contention' (I hate to use that word because it's argumentative, but I can't think of the right/better one right now). You're Australian, and maybe this is a generalization, but many of the Aussies I've met/spoke to have a healthy dose of travel joy. Even in my own travels to other countries, I've met several who speak of gap years they used to travel/work. It seems like a very cultural thing, which I might guess has a large influence on your point of view (I don't mean that negatively- on the contrary, it's a spirit I wish we Americans had!).

I don't know if I'd compare my trip abroad to Ireland (and the subsequent backpacking), to 'X' teen cheerlebrity uprooting to cheer at another gym solely for the 'experience.' I'd compare it more to YOUR trip (dream plus actual life changes and cultural experiences), or anyone going to work in a different country for their year.

It's 85 cents US to get a dollar NZ currency. Or $1 USD=$1.17 NZ dollars
Maybe the gym will accept payment in NZ $.:)

Fortunately most everyone on SMOED lives in the continental US where the exchange rate just happens to be $1 to $1, with no cost to exchange.:):)

I have read the comments and responses on this thread and the backlash of people stating Fierceboarders are judgemental and I have to disagree with that opinion. I didn't see any post in this thread as being judgemental at all. Everyone is stating their personal opinion on a subject or questioning certain statements or actions because they are curious. Our society is using the word "judgemental" entirely out of context in response to someone who has a different opinion. That's all. There has been nothing nefarious or scandalous stated on any of these posts. They're just opinions folks - everyone has them and are entitled to voice them.

My two cents: I don't care if people move across the country or the world to be on a team. I've uncovered what does bug me is the whole big announcements and big deals made about it, adding more to the whole cheerlebrity craze.
And how does CheerUpdates know all of this stuff? Is he like bffs with every cheerleader on a worlds team with over 25k twitter followers? I'm curious to know how much the athlete themselves put into what CU posts. Do they contact him and give him the scoop or does he somehow find out this stuff and just posts it without their consent?
Although theres truly just one person who runs that account, i know he has so many little "partners" to help him figure out information. I once had to help him with competition updates at a worlds bid comp. up here in the NW...

Back