All-Star Cheerleaders Season 3?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I hate to be so nosy and imposing on you... But in Cali is it just the Smoed team that people are flying in to be specifically on that team. How many homegrown athletes make up the Smoed's roster? I guess I am asking this questions because I really only hear about Smoed and athletes flying in to be on this team only...but what about those other teams...

To be honest, it is refreshing to know that majority of Cali teams are made up of homegrown athletes and know that these athletes have a good shot in making these World teams
I heard something around 4 that flew in or came from another gym for smoed. Sometimes there are people that fly in to flat out try for Cali, and it doesn't guarantee them a spot on our worlds team. The split during the summer of 5 and 5R can be devastating to some. We have two people that I know of that flew to my cali location, then got put on restricted. They didn't fly in just for the worlds team, but to be on Cali and have the opportunity. So i'm sure in that sense there are people flying in for a few more teams than just Smoed, just not teams in general if that makes sense. I think the whole super selective thing is played up a lot more for Smoed than it actually is and everyone assumes we never use our own athletes which is untrue. Sorry for the rambling haha
ETA: Fixed number.

Last edited:
id like to ad that getting boys from other cali teams probably isnt as easy as it sounds. i dont believe any other coed teams, lvl 4 or 5, aside from snipers, trains at the ventura location. although ventura is in socal it is 2-3 hours away from san bernardino and san diego counties, the locations of the other gyms that trains lvl 4 and 5 boys. there might be qualified boys at those locations, but not everyone wants to make the drive or, in most cases, have parents that want to make the drive. also, not every person wants to be on smoed and are content with their team. eddie and orby cant exactly go shopping for cali boys and just pluck them from the bin like the boys are some vegetable or fruit at the farmer's market.

How many homegrown athletes make up the Smoed's roster? I guess I am asking this questions because I really only hear about Smoed and athletes flying in to be on this team only...but what about those other teams...
To be honest, it is refreshing to know that majority of Cali teams are made up of homegrown athletes and know that these athletes have a good shot in making these World teams

there are 4 people on smoed right now that are from out of state, five if you include gabbi. the rest are from smoed or from previous years or other cali teams.

Last edited:
there are 4 people on smoed right now that are from out of state, five if you include gabbi. the rest are from smoed or from previous years or other cali teams.

So that's good to hear because only 25% of their athletes are outsiders and 75% of their athletes are actually homegrown athletes. It will be better if we heard more about those homegrown athletes instead of the ones who are flying in, just a little more balance will be much appreciated, so we little people on the side do not get caught up on the hype of all these athletes coming in from outside... I will love to meet more of these athletes who grew up in the program...possibly Mini up to Smoed...

Side note: When WC had their Award Night there were actually 4 or 5 athletes who grew up in the program from the Tiny team to Shooting Stars and they gave these girls a special award-scholarship... I was so happy for these young ladies and the special recognition the gym gave them...

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this thread the past few days. From the 2nd episode, 200 male videos were sent in. 11 of those were chosen. And just one is now one the team. So I take it that was prior to or around Cali's whole gym tryouts. So now that video submissions are coming in now, I wonder what % of those were New (never seen) and % of those of the 200 from team tryouts? Will those newer submission have a better chance making the team?

But when did cheerleading become a business, instead of fun? I do it for fun. I take it seriously, but i'm not going to drop everything for a "chance" to win worlds on a team that could end up not winning. We are not a professional sport. NBA and NFL are different. They are adults in a professional sports. We are kids.

I would disagree, level 5 does fit the category of professional sport to me. It doesn't matter if a lot are underage.

Just about every single female olympic gymnast/pro athlete was a kid.

I would disagree, level 5 does fit the category of professional sport to me. It doesn't matter if a lot are underage.

trust me I'm all for recognizing it as a sport, but its not about the age. for a sport to be considered "professional" the athletes get paid for their performance (not for endorsing salsa)

professional sport
Web definitions
  1. Professional sports, as opposed to amateur sports, are sports in which athletes receive payment for their performance.

It's not just smoed. I know 2 canadians this year, one from vancouver ice queens and one from cheer sport great whites, who tried out for Cali and made it. I *think* they were originally put on black ops and are now on cali coed.

But when did cheerleading become a business, instead of fun? I do it for fun. I take it seriously, but i'm not going to drop everything for a "chance" to win worlds on a team that could end up not winning. We are not a professional sport. NBA and NFL are different. They are adults in a professional sports. We are kids.

You are a kid, but the gym owners are adults and this IS their profession.

trust me I'm all for recognizing it as a sport, but its not about the age. for a sport to be considered "professional" the athletes get paid for their performance (not for endorsing salsa)

professional sport
Web definitions
  1. Professional sports, as opposed to amateur sports, are sports in which athletes receive payment for their performance.

i think that's a rather presumptuous definition. olympic athletes don't get paid as athletes. in fact, america is the only (i think) country where olympians are taxed for getting medals. other countries, such as russia, pay the athletes that win medals. some, like phelps and shawn johnson, may get paid by endorsers, like wheaties and nike, but no one pays them for competing. they or their parents, in most cases for young athletes, pay for training and pay to go to the olympics. the only money that the female gymnastics. and other olympians, received from the last olympics were from endorsements and not from competing.

Last edited:
i think that's a rather presumptuous definition. olympic athletes don't get paid as athletes. in fact, america is the only (i think) country where olympians are taxed for getting medals. other countries, such as russia, pay the athletes that win medals. some, like phelps and shawn johnson, may get paid by endorsers, like wheaties and nike, but no one pays them for competing. they or their parents, in most cases for young athletes, pay for training and pay to go to the olympics. the only money that the female gymnastics. and other olympians, received from the last olympics were from endorsements and not from competing.

I wholeheartedly agree with your statements - the saddest part is there is a expiration or time limit on the exposure these great Olympic athletes receive for their achievements too. Almost immediately after the Olympics these Athletes must capitalize by signing endorsement deals because the clock is ticking before the public start looking away from them and on one of the Pro Athlete in either NFL or NBA again... Why you think these athletes are pressured to get back in the gym to work out and train to go back to the Olympics? The public is never satisfy and always think their achievements is no big thing, unless they can do it again, again, again and again...

Both my CPs are on level 5 Worlds teams and I can assure you even being a Worlds finals team they do not meet the definition of a professional sport.

is everyone still going to pretend that Smoed is the ONLY team that does this?

where's all the bashing of other gyms and teams?
I have not heard anyone say they are the only team. However I have seen multiple posts per week since the season started from CALI advertising open spots (not just SMOED) and offering scholarship and housing (aka blatent recruitment). I have not seen any other gym advertise near as much. Maybe I have missed those gym's posts.

Last edited:
I don't see how you can hate on Smoed/the coaches for "not having enough homegrown athletes". A lot of teams are accepting video tryouts. Smoed happens to get a lot of them, and some teams may only get one. But it's the same principe, isn't it? Either your ok with video tryouts, regardless of the number of them, or you're not. I'm sure there are plenty of teams all around the US that are accepting video tryouts for their teams.

The reasons these kids have for sending in a video tryout for Smoed, and not some other team, are their own thing. That's not something you can blame Smoed's coaches for. How they advertise it is another thing, but to simply criticize them for accepting video tryouts and letting amazing athletes be on the team is kind of odd (IMO). And I'm not even a Smoed fan.

The skill level they require for smoed is a level that many kids, regardless of how much they train, will not be able to reach - on that squad, pretty much every single person can do a *clean* double full (not a janky bent leg one) and has a standing full. There are several females with jumps to a full - that is impressive. Even their fliers have top notch level 5 tumbling skills and aren't just on the team cause they are small. The fact that Cali is able to produce 75% homegrown on a team so highly skilled is impressive.

Just being on a level 5 team alone isn't that big of a deal from what I've seen - I know kids on level 5 teams that all they have is a decent layout and a janky full that I really hope they aren't doing in their routine. But, being on a level 5 team that can actually contend at worlds IS a big deal.

IMO, with very few exceptions, Gymnasts who train for the Olympics are not motivated by money at all, I don't even think the "fame" that they often get is a significant motivator either. I think most of them would do it even if the Olympics were not televised and it was just them in a gym in front of a few parents and their fellow gymnasts - to most of them it is about the feeling of accomplishment that they receive from reaching their goal of being one of the best in the world, and I think what others think of them is low down on the list of reasons why they do it, and financial gain is even further down on the list, if not even a factor at all.

Back