All-Star Cheerleaders Season 4: Jersey

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If they were on long enough to comment for episode 1, they were likely counted as a voter. What will be telling is the numbers for episode 2.

Also Kelly Ripa was part of Cheer and has been linked to Varsity so the retweet isn't surprising or out of the ordinary at all.

For the sake of CJA, if the tweet goes viral, I hope AwesomenessTV cuts down on the bad editing.

2k likes and 950 dislikes - that's not a very good rating at all. Gosh. I don't know if I'd even consider views as a good thing w/ that many dislikes. If you extrapolalate that out to all the views assuming it's statistically significant, that's a lot of hate.[/QUOTE]

It seems like the haters are coming from two groups. The first is the group of people who were disgusted with AwesomenessTV and with Smoed by the end of their run and do not want another repeat of the past. The second, much larger group of viewers are children who unconditionally LOVE Smoed and don't want to see them go. I wonder how many of them actually cheer? Though, who can blame them? Like with any beloved show, you go on a journey with the characters and almost feel like you are a part of their lives. It was an amazing, three-season run for Smoed and thousands of viewers connected with the athletes and coaches on a personal level. They were also the "first". In the 90s, for example, I remember being so upset when the first season of The Real World ended, and I hated the new cast haha. But I still ended up watching every episode of season two, three, four....etc.

The irony is that CJA was also a first team/program to pave the way for all-star cheerleading-based TV shows, opening up a market for other shows like Cheerleaders to even exist. From what I remember, there was really no hatred thrown at them when they were the Smoed of cable TV.

A Youtube show that churns out 8-9 minute episodes on a limited budget can't be compared to a cable network's budget and timeline, nor can the same "magic" of a 60-minute show be captured in minutes. The saving grace is that it is being produced by the same team who produced Cheer! on CMT. I'm hoping that they will find a way to continue showing our industry in a positive light and stay true to the vision they had for Cheer! The haters are inevitable, though, and I can imagine there will still be a ton of them even if the show is a home run.

It seems like the haters are coming from two groups. The first is the group of people who were disgusted with AwesomenessTV and with Smoed by the end of their run and do not want another repeat of the past. The second, much larger group of viewers are children who unconditionally LOVE Smoed and don't want to see them go. I wonder how many of them actually cheer? Though, who can blame them? Like with any beloved show, you go on a journey with the characters and almost feel like you are a part of their lives. It was an amazing, three-season run for Smoed and thousands of viewers connected with the athletes and coaches on a personal level. They were also the "first". In the 90s, for example, I remember being so upset when the first season of The Real World ended, and I hated the new cast haha. But I still ended up watching every episode of season two, three, four....etc.

The irony is that CJA was also a first team/program to pave the way for all-star cheerleading-based TV shows, opening up a market for other shows like Cheerleaders to even exist. From what I remember, there was really no hatred thrown at them when they were the Smoed of cable TV.

A Youtube show that churns out 8-9 minute episodes on a limited budget can't be compared to a cable network's budget and timeline, nor can the same "magic" of a 60-minute show be captured in minutes. The saving grace is that it is being produced by the same team who produced Cheer! on CMT. I'm hoping that they will find a way to continue showing our industry in a positive light and stay true to the vision they had for Cheer! The haters are inevitable, though, and I can imagine there will still be a ton of them even if the show is a home run.
I also read a psych article (funny enough, my fingers auto-typed 'psycho'- slip of the keys lol) a few months back about how teenagers (particularly teen girls) have adapted to the internet/social 'connectivity' in a way where they have a smaller group of friends, but are 10x closer with them.

In the 90s/00s, you could see people/celebs on tv or read in magazines, maybe find a dedicated website/fan site, but there weren't a lot of avenues for constant social interaction. Now, we have tweets, instagram, facebook, tumblr, youtube, retweets, reblogs, reposts. There have been countless studies about how the lights/sounds of phones can condition our dopamine receptors/levels. All that interconnected web-life and triggers makes these kids believe they're "friends" with the people sharing their lives. Remember being a Teen Girl? Combine that with this pseudo-friendship. For all intents and purposes, asking them to choose Team Smoed vs Team CJA is like Blood vs. Crips. And that's blood in, blood out.

@kristenthegreat, wow! Now that some profound ideas and as I was reading those ideas, which by the way I agree... I could not help but to relate this to perhaps a similar situation that happened in music - Tupac vs Biggie or East Coast vs. West Coast... Maybe AwesomenessTV set this program format up on purpose to create a turf war in All-Star Cheerleading...Wow!!!

I'm wondering if CJA wouldn't have experienced as much backlash if they had stayed in the all-girl division? I sort of wish they did because they were truly one of the teams to look out for, even if they didn't make it to Worlds finals last year. They still are up and coming, but the small coed division is really tough to break into. I just wish them all the best this season and hope that the ignorance and unnecessary backlash of people doesn't effect their overall performance.

I'm wondering if CJA wouldn't have experienced as much backlash if they had stayed in the all-girl division? I sort of wish they did because they were truly one of the teams to look out for, even if they didn't make it to Worlds finals last year. They still are up and coming, but the small coed division is really tough to break into. I just wish them all the best this season and hope that the ignorance and unnecessary backlash of people doesn't effect their overall performance.

Maybe if AwesomenessTV chose a team in a different division there would've been less backlash but I think it was more of a bad timing kind of thing. If you weren't part of the cheer world, you wouldn't have known why it was cancelled or even that it was cancelled. There was no formal goodbye statement or explanation or even like a "Hey fans, our show is ending." There was a quick goodbye episode and then they launched right into CJA with little to no warning. I would've been very confused if I was an avid watcher who wasn't on Fierceboard.

If they had waited at least a month and slowly introduced the new CJA show I think there would be less backlash. It probably feels like AwesomenessTV is trying to replace Smoed with this other team and the viewers probably feel like the rug was pulled out from underneath them. Imagine how angry people would be if parks and rec just ended without telling people - just launched into the goodbye episode and then next week had the same show but with different people. Chaos. So again, I don't think there's anyone to blame except AwesomenessTV. They could've handled this so much better but instead theyve almost set this up to fail. They really aren't handling their publicity well.

ETA: I don't think CJA switched divisions solely for a web series.

I don't think the backlash has much to do with a division switch. CJA is new to the division, yet they are faring pretty well. Heck, they even made it to the CheerUpdates NCA preview of the top Small Coed teams, and we all know whatever he thinks is gospel ;) hehehe.

I think the backlash is simply because people didn't see the change coming, and most viewers have no clue what happened behind the scenes with AwesomenessTV and Smoed. I believe many people think Smoed got booted for CJA to replace them

Maybe if AwesomenessTV chose a team in a different division there would've been less backlash but I think it was more of a bad timing kind of thing. If you weren't part of the cheer world, you wouldn't have known why it was cancelled or even that it was cancelled. There was no formal goodbye statement or explanation or even like a "Hey fans, our show is ending." There was a quick goodbye episode and then they launched right into CJA with little to no warning. I would've been very confused if I was an avid watcher who wasn't on Fierceboard.

If they had waited at least a month and slowly introduced the new CJA show I think there would be less backlash. It probably feels like AwesomenessTV is trying to replace Smoed with this other team and the viewers probably feel like the rug was pulled out from underneath them. Imagine how angry people would be if parks and rec just ended without telling people - just launched into the goodbye episode and then next week had the same show but with different people. Chaos. So again, I don't think there's anyone to blame except AwesomenessTV. They could've handled this so much better but instead theyve almost set this up to fail. They really aren't handling their publicity well.

ETA: I don't think CJA switched divisions solely for a web series.

When I saw the parts about "dating", it DOES make me think that AwesomenessTV is very partial to coed teams when they decide if a team is show worthy. If PA really wanted to be on a show, she probably knew a coed team was the way to go. CJA really seems to want the publicity being that this is their second show - and they even did a little spot on the Smoed version - I remember a bit where PA was talking about the one girl who moved from CJA to Smoed last season. What other teams had their coaches on the show when an athlete transferred there? They had athletes saying bye and showed a few gyms, but not closeups of coaches - I almost wondered if it was a quid pro quo - you can have her, if you give me some air (or youtube ;)) time on the show ;).

Last edited:
When I saw the parts about "dating", it DOES make me think that AwesomenessTV is very partial to coed teams when they decide if a team is show worthy. If PA really wanted to be on a show, she probably knew a coed team was the way to go. CJA really seems to want the publicity being that this is their second show - and they even did a little spot on the Smoed version - I remember a bit where PA was talking about the one girl who moved from CJA to Smoed last season. What other teams had their coaches on the show when an athlete transferred there? They had athletes saying buy and showed a few gyms, but not closeups of coaches - I almost wondered if it was a quid pro quo - you can have her, if you give me some air (or youtube ;)) time on the show ;).
I really don't think they went coed for a YouTube show. That'd be awfully silly. Maybe the exact reason ATV asked CJA is because they'd already had a show and might be more open to doing another one.

Any coach and/or business owner that has any common sense would not change divisions for a show. More than likely she had boys that were ready for a level 5 team but not enough girls to make a whole new team.

I really don't think they went coed for a YouTube show. That'd be awfully silly. Maybe the exact reason ATV asked CJA is because they'd already had a show and might be more open to doing another one.

Any coach and/or business owner that has any common sense would not change divisions for a show. More than likely she had boys that were ready for a level 5 team but not enough girls to make a whole new team.

Agreed! And i LOVE them in the small coed div. I've seen them a few times this season already, and this is the strongest lv. 5 team / routines they have ever had

Exactly. Wasn't their R5 coed last year?

@astaley22 I think is dead on in her assessment of this program moving in this direction... In the little time my daughter was with CJA , they had and still have boys who were on lower level teams for many many many years and had advanced skills and deserved an equal shot at going to Worlds, just like the girls. I think for GJA, moving into the small coed was a natural evolution and the best part those are homegrown, athletes coming up from lvl 1s to lvl 5s... As you can sense, I just love and admire those well mannered and such respectful young gentlemen on that squad...Good Luck!, hopefully at Worlds we have a tie between WC Omni and CJA. ..

I finally got to watch it today. I love Patty Ann and didn't see a difference between Cheer! and this show in regards to her attitude. She always expected the athletes to take responsibility for their own health. The episode where Jackie (?) was having issues from her Chiari and Patty Ann kept prompting her to take ownership of her health. Patty Ann wasn't going to tell her it was okay to stop but I think if Jackie had said "I can't do this right now." I don't think it would have been held against her.
Can I say how much I love Hayley? She reminds me of my youngest one, crazy as a loon and always has her tumbling class laughing. Don't know if her coach appreciates it though:p

Ratings/comments dont matter .. all that matters is that you're watching ... in general, not just about this.

i agree. the intro episode has 110k views with 1720 (58%) likes and 1268 (42%) dislikes. the 1st episode has 106k views with 2984 (75%) likes and 983 (25%) dislikes. They getting a similar number of views, and, ironically, considering all the negative comments, the ratings are actually improving improving.

Back