All-Star Cheersport Day 2 Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Probably way off topic but I know a team that never got their Silver medal at Worlds last year--they ran out even though their awards ceremony was around noon. Never heard anything and never got their medals.

PM me the team and I will pass this on

I think they shouldn't have had divisions at all and because they had divisions they weren't prepared with the jackets. Cheersport is the biggest competition in the world so going there you want a lot of competition. They said they did it because no one wants to be called 15th, but that's just how it is sometimes. There were too many winners because they split divisions and it wasn't as satisfying winning with so many other champions.

20 kids in sm div, 24 inter, 36 large - Jackets SHOULD NOT RUN OUT!! If Cheersport CHOSE to split, then they should have let the teams know that by splitting then Jackets could be limited ( they didn't ). Money wasn't given back and those kids that WON were robbed of their jackets. Now for me I have plenty and would gladly give any one of mine to a kid that won their FIRST jacket. Half the fun of winning a jacket is getting on the plane or riding home and having random "non cheer" people recognize it, or even go to school the day after and show it off or be at school with rival gyms and show it off. I'm sure someone will attack me on this one but I don't feel any excuse justifies this. Those kids were robbed of their moment period.

Here's the thing... I work for an event producer (not CHEERSPORT) and I'm usually the one handing out national champion apparel on Sunday. I'm assuming CHEERSPORT would have a system similar to ours... Coaches are expected to turn in sizes X number of weeks before the competition, then the apparel is ordered based on the sizes that the coaches turned in. Guess what? Lots of coaches DON'T manage to get that information in on time. Event producers are then forced to guess the quantities of each size. Another issue is that it absolutely never fails that people want to exchange the sizes they ordered, and if the EP does exchange sizes throughout the day, they can run out of certain sizes by the end of the day. Telling someone that they have to wait until 10pm to exchange a jacket is just as difficult as having to tell someone that they don't get a jacket until a few weeks from now. I've never been to CHEERSPORT and I'm not entirely sure if the jackets have the year on them anywhere, but if they do, it's hard to justify paying to order hundreds of extras of each size just to end up not being able to use them at all.

My3KidsMom said:
If there is one thing in life I have learned it is that someone will always find something to complain about.

Sad but true. I think event producers could give cash to cheerleaders and spectators and people would still complain! :(

( raises hand for that jacket please) :)

Coming from a gym that doesn't allow our kids to compete there, I can GUARANTEE my CP would give most anything to be able to just step on the stage and compete at CHEERSPORT let alone win a title and jacket. Seeing CP sit in the crowd this weekend and watch teams perform while knowing that she won't get that opportunity was tough! It is unfortunate some kids didn't get the jacket immediately but they will get them eventually. I say be thankful for the experience.

Getting the jacket at that moment is part of the overall experience and while it is great that they will get it eventually and it may be completely out of the the sponsoring companies control--it does take something away from "being in the moment".

If it is the 10th jacket that you are getting that may be one thing but different people come from different circumstances and have had different histories to their cheerleading careers--if you have been cheering for 10 years and you are finally on a fantastic team and you win your first jacket--you want that jacket right then--you want to wear it and take pictures with your team in it . Perhaps--they could have an extra set in case they run out that teams could put on and celebrate in and take pictures in to at least do that part of it.

They were not robbed. The competition was well run with over 900 teams! A team is robbed when they don't get announced in the right place then their moment is stolen. I feel really bad for the kids who didn't get their jacket immediately but they WILL get a jacket. If there is one thing in life I have learned it is that someone will always find something to complain about. While the feelings are justified it is not the last time a child will be disappointed.
I feel the jacket situation was inexcusable. The competition was well run, Cheersport is my favorite competition of the season, we look forward to it. That isn't my complaint. My complaint is that the team my kids are on has had their eyes on the prize all year long. They have pushed themselves and pushed themselves to win Cheersport. They won Cheersport, it may never happen for them again, it won't happen for some because they are seniors. Part of the Cheersport experience is strutting around that convention center in your national champion jacket. My kids got jackets, but they only had youth medium, adult medium, and adult large (we were at 7:30 awards session). There are 5 kids on my team of 35 who have the proper sized jacket. Those girls took the wrong sized jackets because they wanted to strut around in them.

As I told the gentleman in charge backstage, this is ridiculous. The significance of the event is lost by the end of March, when we were told the jackets would be sent to our homes if we ordered them. Does Cheersport not realize how prestigious their event is, how every single one of those 20,000 cheerleaders has the same dream, to win their division and feel that jacket on their back and take pictures with their team in the jacket, then walk around the competition in the jacket. Not getting jackets until the end of March is ridiculous.

Saying that at least they won, and at least they are getting jackets when a lot of teams didn't win is minimizing what the kids who won didn't get, they WON Cheersport and they want everyone to know it, right now. The kids who won and didn't get jackets had an experience taken away from them. They got the awesome and amazing experience of getting called first place in awards. But they lost the experience of wearing their jackets around the convention center, home, and to school the next day.

Cheersport should have more jackets than they need. They give out the same jackets every year, so it's better to have too many than not enough. They can store the extras. If I told Cheersport I ran out of money and couldn't pay my admission fee, but I could send it to them when I got home, I doubt they would let me in the competition on an IOU.

What message are we enforcing to our kids if they hear that not getting your jacket takes away from the fact that you competed in the worlds largest competion and won?

For those of you who get mad when we are not considered a sport by others, what impression do you think they would get from reading this thread?

What message are we enforcing to our kids if they hear that not getting your jacket takes away from the fact that you competed in the worlds largest competion and won?

For those of you who get mad when we are not considered a sport by others, what impression do you think they would get from reading this thread?

That isn't the whole experience, but people telling others how to feel. or that they are wrong for feeling the way they do isn't right either.

This is a long convoluted thread and this jacket talk is some of the milder content here.

I feel the jacket situation was inexcusable. The competition was well run, Cheersport is my favorite competition of the season, we look forward to it. That isn't my complaint. My complaint is that the team my kids are on has had their eyes on the prize all year long. They have pushed themselves and pushed themselves to win Cheersport. They won Cheersport, it may never happen for them again, it won't happen for some because they are seniors. Part of the Cheersport experience is strutting around that convention center in your national champion jacket. My kids got jackets, but they only had youth medium, adult medium, and adult large (we were at 7:30 awards session). There are 5 kids on my team of 35 who have the proper sized jacket. Those girls took the wrong sized jackets because they wanted to strut around in them.

The statement highlighted above is true about every single team that competed at Cheersport every single year they've had it. I'm sure everyone that competed, poured their hearts onto that mat. The only difference between their teams and yours? Your team won and can call themselves National Champions (The jacket doesn't make them the champions, their performance did) It's a jacket. They didn't strip them of their title because they ran out of jackets. You do realize that they did the split...what...2 or 3 weeks before the event? How could the company possibly know then what they found out that weekend? How are they to "guess" they would run out of sizes (not jackets because it was already stated that some took the wrong size just to have one) They will always be first and no one can take that from them. Getting a jacket in March is better than not getting one at all. My cp has never had the opportunity to go to Cheersport. So trust me, she would gladly wait for a National Champion jacket and take the title, rather not have the opportunity to go at all.

The statement highlighted above is true about every single team that competed at Cheersport every single year they've had it. I'm sure everyone that competed, poured their hearts onto that mat. The only difference between their teams and yours? Your team won and can call themselves National Champions (The jacket doesn't make them the champions, their performance did) It's a jacket. They didn't strip them of their title because they ran out of jackets. You do realize that they did the split...what...2 or 3 weeks before the event? How could the company possibly know then what they found out that weekend? How are they to "guess" they would run out of sizes (not jackets because it was already stated that some took the wrong size just to have one) They will always be first and no one can take that from them. Getting a jacket in March is better than not getting one at all. My cp has never had the opportunity to go to Cheersport. So trust me, she would gladly wait for a National Champion jacket and take the title, rather not have the opportunity to go at all.

I agree with what you are saying, I'm just surprised that they were unprepared, and they could have let people know in advance. I guess I should refrain from posting when I'm sick, because I can't articulate what I am trying to say. I also feel bad for the kids on here who won and didn't get their jackets. Cheersport is so well organized and everything is so well run, I'm just disappointed with this detail.

everyone is acting the world ended because they have to wait for the jackets to come. I was at cheersport and i didn't win, and i know i would probably be pissed about having to wait for the jackets too. What about the teams that work just as hard as the teams that won? They put it the same amount of work maybe even more, and they don't get to call themselves a cheersport national champion. It sucks that those kids have to wait for their jackets. Cheersport is a very well run competition, but no one is perfect. Cut them some slack and be excited to receive your jackets because i'm sure everyone that earned one will get one.

Look I said in a post that I was prepared for the bashing but my point is my point. CheerSport is a HUGE event, it runs on time and is at an amazing location. With that being said they did have mistakes. People get on here and talk about their opinion of switch ups to tic tocs, and I am stating mine on CheerSport ( I got my jacket ) so I am speaking on behalf of those that didn't. Those kids were excited and enjoyed the experience and are not "complaining" about winning. But what I am saying is YES CheerSport had mistakes and if I can point it out and show fault to prevent it happening in the future to help a kid feel better then you BETTER BELIEVE I will. They are EXTREMELY well run (as far as timing) due to that was important, if your team won and didn't get the jacket YOUR A LIAR if you saying you wouldn't be upset. My point has been made and I hope CheerSport and ALL other EP's learn from this. It's about the kids experience and my job is to try and make any and all of them the best I can and this is ONE attempt.

Back