OT Colleges :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Sorry for the double post, so I'm moving into an apt in the fall with three.friends. anyone have any tips on how to divvy up the grocery bill? Is it easier to just cook meals for everyone each night and all split the bill or everyone do their own thing?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Do your own thing without a doubt. You are going to need a common fund for things like toilet paper, paper towels, napkins and basic cleaning supplies, but otherwise someone or their house guest is going to eat more than their share without contributing and it is amazing how quickly the resentment builds up. Plus not everyone will be home at the same time all the time. If you are all planning a meal together, or a party, of course then split it evenly but otherwise I would highly recommend each buying your own food and having a refrigerator shelf and cabinet shelf that belongs to each one of you, and then be clear on what is fair game for all.
Also, be careful what utilities you put in your name if they are not already included in your monthly rent. I had a big problem with a housemate after we graduated college because the phone bill was in my name and she didn't feel that she needed to pay the $80+ she owed because she wasn't working and did not have the $. Of course, cell phones have definitely changed the need for a landline but there is still the electricity, cable and internet.

Sorry for the double post, so I'm moving into an apt in the fall with three.friends. anyone have any tips on how to divvy up the grocery bill? Is it easier to just cook meals for everyone each night and all split the bill or everyone do their own thing?

My roommate and I bought our food separately and would occasionally offer each other meals, but being college kids we rarely cooked actual meals

I for the most part survived on pasta sauce, pasta and mozzarella cheese or chocolate (white) covered strawberries

I'm also a very light eater and I'm not one of those people that will eat food just because it's there. I remember one time sharing Girl Scout cookies with my roommate and she was the opposite type of eater than I was and she literally inhaled box after box and I had to tell her "girl. Stop. No mas"

So no I don't recommend sharing food. It looks like a cost saver but in the end somebody is going to inhale your luck charms and leave you salty.

Thanks everyone for your response! All of.our utilities are included and we each have a separate lease so no worries there either

Some of my friends are on the softball team at my school and they all shared an apartment and would only cook a nice meal on Sundays for breakfast since it was their only day off of practice and each week one of the four girls would pay and they would all help cook, clean, ect. But in general they all paid for their own groceries and had a shelf for what was all 'free game'.

I live with my boyfriend and two others. For bills we each have one in our name (except the guy who is moving out in a month because it seemed like too much hassle to get it switched). So each of our accounts has a direct debit set up then we ask each other for the 1/4 we each owe. So it does mean there's a fair bit of money transfer happening but it's so easy to do and it's meant we haven't had any issues so far.

For food my boyfriend and I share most things, so we share a drawer and the other two have a drawer each, and in the fridge we basically just keep track of our own stuff and haven't had many issues with "vanishing" food. The other 3 take it in turns buying milk but I like mine full fat so I have my own haha. Occasionally one of us will cook a meal for the whole house so everyone else will either do one as well or cover part of the ingredients cost or something. It's all worked out well for us so far and we've been living together for 5 months, so probably past the "honeymoon phase" by now!

I would just say make sure everyone knows whatever policy you decide to have on bills, food etc so that there aren't any arguments just caused by a big misunderstanding :)

So I'm about 95% percent sure I'm committing to UMass Amherst after attending a cheer clinic at the school. I'm so excited...shoutout to @Ashley, if you never PMed me awhile ago I would've never known about the school and I'd like to thank you so much!! :)

Yay! I saw a bunch of pics from the clinic yesterday. Prepare to spend a ridiculous amount of time at the cage:)

Also I forgot that I PMed you ages ago. Glad I could help :) lots of Jersey folks at UMass.

Last edited:
Looking at housing is SO difficult. I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to MTSU and hearing from my friends who hae gone there/ go there the dorms aren't so great. I'm the kind of person who has to have privacy unless I go insane, and I'll have to be sharing a bedroom (which isn't that bad) but, all of the dorms have a community bathroom (gross). My best friend is also going to MTSU and she applied for an off-campus apartment, which is actually cheaper than the on-campus apartments. Do any of y'all have experience living off campus freshman year? Is it a good idea? Or an awful idea? Some pros/cons? Because I'm really considering it.

ETA: The apartment includes cable and utilities and is fully furnished.

Looking at housing is SO difficult. I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to MTSU and hearing from my friends who hae gone there/ go there the dorms aren't so great. I'm the kind of person who has to have privacy unless I go insane, and I'll have to be sharing a bedroom (which isn't that bad) but, all of the dorms have a community bathroom (gross). My best friend is also going to MTSU and she applied for an off-campus apartment, which is actually cheaper than the on-campus apartments. Do any of y'all have experience living off campus freshman year? Is it a good idea? Or an awful idea? Some pros/cons? Because I'm really considering it.

if youre good at making friends, youll be fine off campus.

but, if you are at all introverted, it will be hard to meet new people when you live so far away.

I would stay on campus and get the full college experience! You will appreciate it a lot when youre older and out of college.

Live in the dorms! I lived there my freshman year and had a blast. If I lived off-campus I don't think I ever would have made friends because I only knew one person going to college, lol. We had community bathrooms, some rooms had their own/suites had a bathroom, and they weren't that bad. The showers were all seperate and the biggest issue I had was that there was barely any hot water/no water pressure haha. I get easily grossed out and like my own space/privacy too, but it really wasn't that bad. I know nothing about MTSU apart from what you've posted, but I would highly recommend living in the dorm! I think it's a great way to make friends and get the college experience.

I would always recommend to a freshman to live on campus. You will be closer to your classes and it will give you a greater chance to meet more people between the dorm, the dining hall and just walking to classes together. You might be cheating yourself of the true college experience if you live off campus from the start. I would also suggest not living with your best friend from the get-go.

Back