All-Star Discuss Your Usasf Struggles Here

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My CP is on Panthers. She saw a couple of her teammates slip on the wetness of the boarder as they were walking onto the mat to perform. Not only were the boarders slick, but the Worlds logo in the middle and white strips that hold the panels together were also slick in spots. The mat itself wasn’t soaking wet. BlueCat and some others have already clarified that. But the fact remains that there WERE slick spots due to moisture, not only on the boarders, but within the performing surface as well. My CP felt wetness on @SheCheers CP’s shoes when she was basing her in pyramid while she was performing. The videos show kids wiping their shoes off while performing. NOT from running through the grass after their performance. In fact, my CP said there were kids from F5 who also commented about the wetness on the mat.

So tell me, since you personally walked on the mat after awards and are declaring that the mat was NOT wet, are you accusing the athletes that have spoken up about the moisture on the mat liars? Are you saying my CP, @SheCheers CP, @mstealtoyou CP are all lying about it? I take exception to that. NONE of the kids I know have said a single negative thing about F5. In fact, my CP and her teammates were all giving major kudos and congrats to F5 on their win and were all saying how they deserved it since they hit when it counted and they didn’t. But here you are questioning their integrity and the integrity of CA, World Cup, Stingrays, and CEA for questioning the situation and accusing them of looking for excuses to go again because they didn’t hit. Are you kidding me? I take exception to that as well. I’ve seen nothing but incredibly positive sportsmanship expressed from our athletes and coaches to F5. And here you are questioning their integrity.

Is my CP upset about not winning? Of course she is. Who wouldn’t be? They all want to win. They all dream about it. But, she also feels grateful and blessed to have won a bronze medal, especially in light of the situation. What has her the most upset is that they didn’t hit. They all want to go out there and have that amazing performance that they know they’re capable of….to hit at Worlds. She’s also upset that the conditions on the mat were unsafe and the officials did nothing about it, even after multiple people complained. Our kids didn’t know there was moisture on the mat until they were out there and ready to compete. The officials knew about it when the girl on Panthers slipped. After Panthers performance, they were wiping the sides of the mat off with towels. They knew about it then. Why didn’t they inspect the mat then? Why did they still let SE and Orange take the floor? Someone else mentioned that Hot Cheer complained after they competed. Why wasn’t it inspect then before any additional teams went?

Everyone knows that any of the top 5 teams in LAG can take it on any given day. They’re ALL AMAZING! Which is why this is has been our favorite division for so many years. F5 took it on Sunday. And yes, they took it because they hit when it counted and when the others didn’t. Their win was well deserved! CONGRATSA!! Although, I will point out that you’re incorrect in your reasoning for why F5’s raw score was lower than the others. It wasn’t due to their performance order. They may have gone first of the top 5 on Day 2. But their raw score was also the lowest of the top 5 on Day 1 and they were the very last team to compete in the division on that day. So, that reasoning doesn’t hold. It was, however, high enough to win and that’s all that matters.

Again, Congrats to your CP! I’m sure she’s been dreaming about that moment her whole cheer career. It’s just unfortunate that the moment is being shadowed by controversy.

I need a mic drop gif / meme for this.

I went up on the floor during large coed awards (I'm a photographer). I took a few steps and almost slipped, both on the mat and on the red part. I remember thinking "whoa, this is slippery" and walked off the mat so I wouldn't slip in front of everyone lol. I didn't know a single thing about the mat issues before I walked up on the floor (when you see all routines through a camera you don't really notice small details). I found out afterwards about the whole mat issue.

The large senior coaches were the one's standing in a circle discussing, but the large coed coaches (most of them at least) were also informed before awards. Discussions between coaches and with staff was happening before, during and after awards.

I can also add something that looked incredibly dangerous. I saw some athletes climbing on the railing at the top of the stadium, partly hanging outside the railing. Not sure how to describe this, but it looked very very dangerous because it was so high up. They climbed to get to the only available seats.

Last edited:
I've seen this mentioned a few times about the conditions and how all LAG competed under same conditions so the whole "excuse" that the mat was wet doesn't hold water (see what I did there ) but in my unscientific mind wouldn't the dropping temperature increase the amount of dew throughout the night as well as the more teams that competed the more wet shoes walked on the mat thereby increasing the moisture of the main part of the mat?
Here's the science ;) Dew point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I need a mic drop gif / meme for this.

Well I'm not @ErinS so I don't have a Prince mic drop, but here is a Minion's one
giphy.gif

"

I vote everyone says their favorite memory was the slip n' slide at worlds.

I wasn't going to reply but there was a gif too perfect...

This is just complete negligence for not making a statement of some kind. Any other sport would be proactive in addressing issues of this level. Would it be too daunting to go straight to Disney with this? They could lose their contract with them or just be in some deep water (couldn't help myself).

Keep fighting for your kids, I'll go back to my fan corner now.

I really, REALLY love that you can't submit anything to the USASF Yearbook without putting in your official USASF Membership ID number---so, you can write whatever it is you wanna write, but you better believe they wanna know who is saying it.

My biggest issue with the way that large coed and large senior went down, is that the people running the competition didn't see it as a problem that the mats were wet. It was unfair to let those athletes go out and have that be their last time competing either for the season or for the last time ever! I give props to all those kids that went out there and gave it their all.

i've seen some statements about how the mat wasn't drenched and so it wasn't as hazardous as some have claimed it to be. a surface doesn't need to be drenched with water in order for it to become a slippery hazard. for example, the first 10 minutes of light rain on the road are the most slippery and dangerous, because the oil on the road begins to spread and disperse. any mat that has been used (i'm not sure how old that mat was.) is going to be covered in human oil. add some florida humidty/moisture and add in shoes that have stepped on the wet grass and you have a hazardous slippery mat. if they actually do something about it in the future and continue to hold it outdoors, it would be best to wrap the mat in a velcro shut cover as soon as the mat is setup. they should also lay down that same material, that covers an entire football field when it's used for concerts/events, all around the stage, so that no wet shoes go onto the mat.

Last edited:
I appreciate you adding your perspective. The low raw score and the fact that the division always goes late stand out to me. I get that someone could have been hurt, so I don't want to say it was okay that the red was wet, because it WAS dangerous, but I also don't quite see how the mat conceivably got SO MUCH more wet as the night went on that the teams who performed first weren't also affected.

I'm sorry that F5 isn't getting the kudos they deserve. They were amazing.

I see your point. And agree the red borders were unsafe. But I feel like if the mat itself was dangerously wet that there would be some evidence of that, which I don't see here. Not that it matters, slipping off the edge could have been catastrophic, and even having wet shoes would have been dangerous. And I'm honestly afraid of that stage being so high up. Why on earth are the large teams ( who have to use ALL of the mat) on the elevated stage?

So did anyone ask to redo the competition based on late performance times in previous years? I don't know?

The geeky side of me found this very interesting, but I'm not sure I completely understand dew point versus humidity, so I tried to look it up. I still don't get it. According to Weatherunderground ( no idea, is this an accurate source?) Florida temps did not reach dew point that day. The humidity, on the other hand was high, and increasing during the time period from 7-11. Does this make a difference? I don't get it.

i've seen some statements about how the mat wasn't drenched and so it wasn't as hazardous as some have claimed it to be. a surface doesn't need to be drenched with water in order for it to become a slippery hazard. for example, the first 10 minutes of light rain on the road are the most slippery and dangerous, because the oil on the road begins to spread and disperse. any mat that has been used (i'm not sure how old that mat was.) is going to be covered in human oil. add some florida humidty/moisture and add in shoes that have stepped on the wet grass and you have a hazardous slippery mat. if they actually do something about it in the future and continue to hold it outdoors, it would be best to wrap the mat in a velcro shut cover. they should also lay down that same material, that covers an entire football field when it's used for concerts/events, all around the stage, so that no wet shoes go onto the mat.
I can see that. But it sounds like the tape, the emblem and the plastic(y) surfaces were likely the culprits anyway. That and wet shoes. I like the idea of preventing wet shoes on the mat with covers. Does anyone know how long the mats had been laying out prior to the competition?

The geeky side of me found this very interesting, but I'm not sure I completely understand dew point versus humidity, so I tried to look it up. I still don't get it. According to Weatherunderground ( no idea, is this an accurate source?) Florida temps did not reach dew point that day. The humidity, on the other hand was high, and increasing during the time period from 7-11. Does this make a difference? I don't get it.

I can see that. But it sounds like the tape, the emblem and the plastic(y) surfaces were likely the culprits anyway. That and wet shoes. I like the idea of preventing wet shoes on the mat with covers. Does anyone know how long the mats had been laying out prior to the competition?

When I walked over there to show my oldest the set up at 1:30 they were putting the floor and back drop up. No mats down then from the stairs to the tent.....on the right. Sorry I don't have anything later than that.

The floor was wet, the last teams performed after 11, and were not advised they could warm up again since all so delayed (past 30 minute warm up rule) after F5 went due to injury. USASF rules were not followed / enforced by USASF. These are safety rules.
F5 and any team prior to them went earlier i.e. Less condensation, went before 11 deadline, and performed within 30 minutes of warming up.
Rules were clearly broken per USASF website. Conditions were not the same for all teams - not an even or acceptable 'playing field' - losing credibility for USASF and the sport. Worlds athletes dream of that last performance of the season. Of hitting. The opportunity was stripped from them to do so by USASF. Unacceptable.

Back