All-Star Etiquette At Cheer Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Among my biggest complaints is athletes (and parents) who sit in the arenas and openly bash/trash talk other programs. Last year at UCA, there was a group of middle school girls behind us chanting, "FALL FALL FALL" during stunt sequences, comments about how flyers should 'give up and die already', among many other hateful comments. At one point, I videoed them from my lap and upon returning home, I sent that video to the email address associated with their program. Someone responded to me and said that 'the girls comments were taken out of context and they didn't mean it the way it sounded.'. Yeah, okay.
Let me tell you. I went to a comp where the moms were yelling for our flyers to fall. I went to watch from VIP and a friend videod from the stands. So the moms were right in front of her yelling for our girls to fall. I saw the video and I went off on these women. The other parents thought I was gonna get kicked out or get in a fight lol. I told them you don't ever wish that on an athlete and told them my girl fell and broke her arm and I would never hope someone falls and gets hurt. Mind you I'm actually close to yelling at this point. Oops. Anyway two of them apologized. One still insisted she didn't say it even though it was on video. I was too hot. You just don't play that in my book.

Last edited:
So many crazy stories on here, have any of you ever thought about recording some of this stuff and letting the event producer, or judges see it?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but what if the event producer or judges were actually brought to the attention of some of these horrible teams and parents, and the judges would start disqualifying teams,and deducting points for every time they have a complaint about a certain team for for poor sportsmanship?

That's what would make sense to me some comps do have this rule, but obviously it isn't enforced.

So many crazy stories on here, have any of you ever thought about recording some of this stuff and letting the event producer, or judges see it?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but what if the event producer or judges were actually brought to the attention of some of these horrible teams and parents, and the judges would start disqualifying teams,and deducting points for every time they have a complaint about a certain team for for poor sportsmanship?

That's what would make sense to me some comps do have this rule, but obviously it isn't enforced.

You shouldn't ever punish a team for their 'fans'. A team can only be responsible for (and should only be judged for) what they put on the mat. Plus, what's to stop someone from buying an XYZAllstars shirt from the pro shop or the Nfinity pop up store and acting a fool just to try and get a rival team disqualified?

You shouldn't ever punish a team for their 'fans'. A team can only be responsible for (and should only be judged for) what they put on the mat. Plus, what's to stop someone from buying an XYZAllstars shirt from the pro shop or the Nfinity pop up store and acting a fool just to try and get a rival team disqualified?
Not what I'm talking about at all. I am talking about those teams who trash talk other teams that shouldn't be okay and punishment should be given.

So true.

I always wondered how those comps that threaten deductions for videotaping enforce it. Not that I've done it, but if I was the deceptive type, I'd wear a neutral shirt just deny I was with that team. A really deceptive person could say, nope I'm with rivals team to get them deductions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not what I'm talking about at all. I am talking about those teams who trash talk other teams that shouldn't be okay and punishment should be given.

I'm sorry, I guess I misunderstood this sentence:

But even if you're just talking about athletes, I still stand by my statement that a team should only be responsible for and judged for what they put on the floor. EPs and judges should not have to watch endless videos from disgruntled Susies Moms trying to get XYZAllstars in trouble and disqualified.

Teams aren't horrible, but some of the individual athletes may exhibit unsportsmanlike conduct. I don't think there's anything wrong with holding individuals responsible for their actions. The way to do that would be to bring the incident to the coach or gym's attention and they can deal with that individual's conduct at their discretion.

But even if you're just talking about athletes, I still stand by my statement that a team should only be responsible for and judged for what they put on the floor. EPs and judges should not have to watch endless videos from disgruntled Susies Moms trying to get XYZAllstars in trouble and disqualified.

Agree with this 100%. I think, if anything, the gym owner should deal with that athlete and their spectator in house. DP's studio issues out e-mail reminding us that WE are responsible for OUR guests at events---if an issue pops up, I don't expect the EP to handle it I expect an e-mail telling me to get my BOOTY in the office to hash it out once we get back.

We actually get deductions in our school league for that. We have an ethical sheet that we carry from the beginning to the end of the day. Staff can make you lose points if they witness poor behavior (arriving late at a station, talking trash, etc etc). Ethical points are deducted to your final score.

Since the league is mostly made with middle and high schoolers, I think this is a good thing. You can teach how to behave respectfully... and how to keep your bad thoughts inside your head. The competitions are great and I never witnessed anything bad from other teams.

This post...I can't.
I'm sorry but the two big wins my athlete had she got excited, sue me. She cried as 2nd place was being called and all of her teammates were puppy piling...I think even the coach was crying. We weren't supposed to win, we were up against teams that had sandbagged with level 5 athletes. Everyone had become complacent with just hitting zero. When we heard the 2nd place team called and it was the sand baggers I will readily admit our parent section exploded, we didn't even hear our teams name get called.
Her year on Senior 2, we were a small gym with 2 teams and it was the 1st year. The arena was the "United Showoff" because they brought literally every location and all their teams. That was another time that we obviously broke some unwritten rule about our kids behaving like North Korea nationals and they got excited when 1st place was called.
Most of the time (not all of the time) I find that the people most against early celebrating are those that have a track record of winning and get down right indignant when a "lesser" team beats them, so in their mind "how dare you celebrate! We were supposed to win!"

This post...I can't.
I'm sorry but the two big wins my athlete had she got excited, sue me. She cried as 2nd place was being called and all of her teammates were puppy piling...I think even the coach was crying. We weren't supposed to win, we were up against teams that had sandbagged with level 5 athletes. Everyone had become complacent with just hitting zero. When we heard the 2nd place team called and it was the sand baggers I will readily admit our parent section exploded, we didn't even hear our teams name get called.
Her year on Senior 2, we were a small gym with 2 teams and it was the 1st year. The arena was the "United Showoff" because they brought literally every location and all their teams. That was another time that we obviously broke some unwritten rule about our kids behaving like North Korea nationals and they got excited when 1st place was called.
Most of the time (not all of the time) I find that the people most against early celebrating are those that have a track record of winning and get down right indignant when a "lesser" team beats them, so in their mind "how dare you celebrate! We were supposed to win!"
Actually, I am gonna be an advocate for the teams that are really, REALLY happy about second place. I coached a few teams like that that never expected to shine against other gyms. Second place was a victory, and it was their moment. That's why early celebrating for first place upsets me sometimes.

Actually, I am gonna be an advocate for the teams that are really, REALLY happy about second place. I coached a few teams like that that never expected to shine against other gyms. Second place was a victory, and it was their moment. That's why early celebrating for first place upsets me sometimes.
The times I've been super happy to be in second place I don't even notice what others are doing, let alone if first place is celebrating. The other times I've been disappointed by second place I would loooove for the first place team to celebrate so no one is scrutinising my face for stank eye.

I have never understood CHEERING for teams to fall.

I personally love it when a comp is a HIT fest.

When Team 1 is 1 SF + 1 PYR SF + 3 TBs, Team 2 is 1 SF + 1 MAJOR SF and Team 3 is a HIT, it's Captain Obvious that Team 3 wins. When everyone hits, things are much more interesting.

When Team 1 is 1 SF + 1 PYR SF + 3 TBs, Team 2 is 1 SF + 1 MAJOR SF and Team 3 is a HIT, it's Captain Obvious that Team 3 wins. When everyone hits, things are much more interesting.

I don't understand it, either. I think it must come from a place where you're not convinced your team can win without capitalizing on the mistakes of another team. Sometimes I see (well meaning) parents getting caught up in what other teams are doing and I have to separate myself from them. Like, I think that they think that they're just sizing up the competition, but in reality they're watching for mistakes and mentally tallying them. I don't think they understand how it seems like bad sportsmanship (to me, anyway).

WAAAAAAY more interesting.

Back