All-Star Favoritism?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 3, 2010
We all know that each gym has their golden team. That team that is more special than the others or receives special treatment from the cheer world.

You have Shooting Stars, the prized possession of WC, Senior Elite is probably the only team that most Cheer Extreme fans know, Orange is the top dog at Rays, and many others. I could go on and on about all the gyms who have that one special team.

My question is, what makes that team so much more special than all of the other teams of the same level at that gym? Why are they placed up there so high when the other teams are just as good if not better? I've never understood this so I'm hoping that someone can give me and educated and unbiased answer.

*I also want to say that I don't mean to call out the big names of cheer, I can list more if you'd like

We all know that each gym has their golden team. That team that is more special than the others or receives special treatment from the cheer world.

You have Shooting Stars, the prized possession of WC, Senior Elite is probably the only team that most Cheer Extreme fans know, Orange is the top dog at Rays, and many others. I could go on and on about all the gyms who have that one special team.

My question is, what makes that team so much more special than all of the other teams of the same level at that gym? Why are they placed up there so high when the other teams are just as good if not better? I've never understood this so I'm hoping that someone can give me and educated and unbiased answer.

*I also want to say that I don't mean to call out the big names of cheer, I can list more if you'd like

I know with Stars they were the first team at WC and along with their awards is probably the reason they are held as high as they are plus they are talented year in and year out.

This is just a guess but it may be that those teams you are mentioning are just put together differently and for a different purpose. It is one thing to put together a team. It is another thing to put together a team that can compete at that level. It is another thing to put together a team that is competitive at that level. And it is yet another thing to put together a team that can be competitive at Worlds and place in the top 5 consistently.

Now how that "status" of being that special team is managed by the gym with those inside the gym is often challenging but that is their call. How we view it as outsiders probably doesn't affect them too much at all.

Normally its the older kids who have been at the gym the longest. They serve as role models to all the other teams in the gym. And if its the only level 5, then its definetly gonna be the favorite team! I don't understand why teams like Odyssey don't get as much hype as Shooting Stars though.

Normally its the older kids who have been at the gym the longest. They serve as role models to all the other teams in the gym. And if its the only level 5, then its definetly gonna be the favorite team! I don't understand why teams like Odyssey don't get as much hype as Shooting Stars though.
well, i love me some odyssey but i think the reason is that not only were stars the first ever team, but they're also 3 times world champs, compared to the sometimes placing Odyssey (thought they are amazing!)

This is just a guess but it may be that those teams you are mentioning are just put together differently and for a different purpose. It is one thing to put together a team. It is another thing to put together a team that can compete at that level. It is another thing to put together a team that is competitive at that level. And it is yet another thing to put together a team that can be competitive at Worlds and place in the top 5 consistently.

Now how that "status" of being that special team is managed by the gym with those inside the gym is often challenging but that is their call. How we view it as outsiders probably doesn't affect them too much at all.

I'm not saying those teams specifically, but those were just examples.

I know with Stars they were the first team at WC and along with their awards is probably the reason they are held as high as they are plus they are talented year in and year out.

I know that they were the first team and all and their talent comes from the fact that you have to be invited to even try out. So of course the team is made up of the best of the best. But I'm with the person who was talking about Odyssey. They are great!

The legacy behind the team. At wc for example, stars were the first team, and have won the most major competitions including worlds. I think its usually a level 5 team because they are most commonly in the spot light, but a gym that has an amazing youth 3 could be known for that reason as well.

I don't if it is a coincidence or not, but all of the "star" teams are "all-girl" teams. With this being primarily a female sport, the focus on all-girl teams seems to make sense.

I think once you win worlds, you get into that light. Look at teams like Smoke, Odyssey, Coed Elite, etc...they're all amazing obviously-just to make a level 5 team these gyms is a feat. But the "favored" teams your talking about- SS, Orange, SE, etc have all won worlds at least once.

I don't if it is a coincidence or not, but all of the "star" teams are "all-girl" teams. With this being primarily a female sport, the focus on all-girl teams seems to make sense.
I wouldn't say "all". I mean what about ACE Warriors? Charlotte Teal? Pro Athletics The Pro's? All those gyms also have all girl level 5 teams, but these are the well known, "favored" ones.

fyi orange isnt the favorite at rays. they maybe the fan favorite, but that can be said with any gym. there is a diff between fan favorite and gym favorite.

They are the most prestigious team at rays though which I would consider a gym "favorite". I only use that word for the lack of a better one. But I agree, there is a difference between gym and fan favorite.

I think once you win worlds, you get into that light. Look at teams like Smoke, Odyssey, Coed Elite, etc...they're all amazing obviously-just to make a level 5 team these gyms is a feat. But the "favored" teams your talking about- SS, Orange, SE, etc have all won worlds at least once.

That makes a lot of sense.

Back