All-Star Favoritism?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

if your team won 3 globes im pretty sure your team would be prized as well.

Is it more than that though? Some people say that since they were the first team they have that title and the globes in the trophy case just set it in stone a little more.

Is it more than that though? Some people say that since they were the first team they have that title and the globes in the trophy case just set it in stone a little more.
well yes but i was saying as to why they are prized

In the end, it would be wise for a gym to cater to all it's levels and athletes because they all pay the high fees to cheer and train and no kid was born on Senior 5. They have to start somewhere so for gyms to put less stock or ignore the lower levels would be a huge business mistake as well as a development mistake because once a gym puts all their eggs in one basket and forgets about everyone else, that gym will fail because people will go give their business elsewhere when they see the lower levels aren't improving or they're not getting their money's worth . And of course, there'll be far fewer potential athletes that would move up to the higher levels with a gym making it difficult for a gym to even field a L5 team if they get turned off by the organization.

I just think that they have to work just as hard on stunting and tumbling. They still push themselves hard and put pressure on themselves. They will still need to have an experienced coach coaching them, I didn't say they would have a harder practice than them. They have to remember there routine without their coach feeding it to them while they are on the mat like younger teams.

That comment was referring to a younger team having time to "play games" instead of running routines and perfecting EVERYTHING for the whole practice. I never once insinuated that they didn't need an experienced coach. They would need a different type of experienced coach--one experienced with kids and knowing how much is too much to that young of a child.

All levels should have professional, experienced and trained coaching. It would be doing a disservice to the athletes if they didn't and can be dangerous as well. Since typically, all levels pay relatively the same with some varying amounts from gym to gym, those on the lower and younger and lower levels should be getting experienced coaches. After all, these teams are feeders and development teams for the upper, older levels and should be learning things the right way. Of course, at some point, those who want to get better and move up probably should be taking privates or open gyms but in the end, all levels deserve professional, experienced and trained coaches. Of course the little ones are going to have less intense practices and perhaps doing fun things things to keep their attention but that shouldn't keep them from doing their jobs which is to train cheerleaders.

All levels should have professional, experienced and trained coaching. It would be doing a disservice to the athletes if they didn't and can be dangerous as well. Since typically, all levels pay relatively the same with some varying amounts from gym to gym, those on the lower and younger and lower levels should be getting experienced coaches. After all, these teams are feeders and development teams for the upper, older levels and should be learning things the right way. Of course, at some point, those who want to get better and move up probably should be taking privates open gyms but in the end, all levels deserve professional, experienced and trained coaches. Of course the little ones are going to have less intense practices and perhaps doing fun things things to keep their attention but that shouldn't keep them from doing their jobs which is to train cheerleaders.

Again, if a youth 2 team is in the gym at the same time as a senior 5 team, of course the senior 5 team needs a coach more experienced to spot and assist more advanced elements. Not that the "junior" coach is "inexperienced" but they may be more experienced with that specific team, the elements they are working on and that level. it has to do with the coaches ability and what the team needs. why would you expect a coach who can't spot a full to go work with a senior 5 team to leave the level 5 certified coach to work with youth 2?

Alot of times the emphasis is put on the senior teams, even if they are not level 5 sometimes at the cost of the younger teams. I talked to the owner of CPs old gym about this. It is great to see that ALL gyms aren't like this, but many are. As a parent, it is really hard to watch your coaches get pulled to work with the older kids and junior coaches assigned to "play games" with the younger kids. We can play games at home...
Agree!! We have been to 3 gyms and I do agree that the level 5 teams seem to get the most attention. IMO its crazy because the future of the gym are the little athletes...usually the level 5's are almost aging out.

Again, if a youth 2 team is in the gym at the same time as a senior 5 team, of course the senior 5 team needs a coach more experienced to spot and assist more advanced elements. Not that the "junior" coach is "inexperienced" but they may be more experienced with that specific team, the elements they are working on and that level. it has to do with the coaches ability and what the team needs. why would you expect a coach who can't spot a full to go work with a senior 5 team to leave the level 5 certified coach to work with youth 2?

For the record, in the example When I talked about the junior coach I will be more specific so there is no confusion:

Team A (mini 2) is having their normal practice time. Team B (senior 5) has scheduled an extra practice during this time. There are no coaches absent from Team B but Team A's coach still goes over to help Team B and leaves Team A with a Jr. Coach ( a youth aged athlete who helps out with that team) to play games for over an hour. Maybe Team A is cool with it because they are having a good time, but their parents are definitely not cool with it. That is an example of blatant favoritism.

It is team A's

i think it comes down to this:

with success comes reputation. when you do well theres more pressure on the coaches and athletes to continue to do well...this is at any level. whether it be a team like SE or SS are on top consitently in the level five division or teams like USA Wildcats Sr 3. Personally at my gym or minis train just as hard as the senior teams and our junior 4 probably trains harder, why because there's the reputation. With this reputation comes attention that makes them fan favorites. Is it necessarily right? No but is it bound to happen? Yes because no matter how hard any coach tries to tell perfection is possible, as human beings we all prefer something different. Plus when outside spectators try to look in, theyre never going to get the whole story and people are going to assume things. It may seem like a coach is playing favorites but you never know whats actually going on.

As to the junior coaches, sometimes it depends on what the teams need. At that tiny/ mini age sometimes they dont need the extra running of routines to stress them out.

I totally agree with you.

My point was all levels should be getting good coaching.

For the record, in the example When I talked about the junior coach I will be more specific so there is no confusion:

Team A (mini 2) is having their normal practice time. Team B (senior 5) has scheduled an extra practice during this time. There are no coaches absent from Team B but Team A's coach still goes over to help Team B and leaves Team A with a Jr. Coach ( a youth aged athlete who helps out with that team) to play games for over an hour. Maybe Team A is cool with it because they are having a good time, but their parents are definitely not cool with it. That is an example of blatant favoritism.

It is team A's

well, that is a little bit different than the scenario I imagined. A youth aged athlete should never be coaching a team alone. Sorry for misunderstanding.

however, I stand by what I've posted for the scenarios I've described 110%

Back