All-Star Favoritism?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I haven't seen anything to that extent but I will say that senior aged athletes have paid their dues (and sometimes pay more expensive gym fees) so they had kind of earned their way to getting more attention. It's probably more that then favortism.

I know of many gyms where senior aged athletes with specific desired skills pay less tuition than the other students.
Regardless of how long an athlete has been with a particular gym or in the sport of cheerleading in general, they are still entitled to whatever practice, class time, attention that is included in the program fees. Of course most gyms have the elite teams that the athletes all aspire to be on, but no one should be made to feel like they are not important or cared about just because they are not on THAT team...

I know of many gyms where senior aged athletes with specific desired skills pay less tuition than the other students.
Regardless of how long an athlete has been with a particular gym or in the sport of cheerleading in general, they are still entitled to whatever practice, class time, attention that is included in the program fees. Of course most gyms have the elite teams that the athletes all aspire to be on, but no one should be made to feel like they are not important or cared about just because they are not on THAT team...
I wish I could shimmy this a million times

In my experience the senior aged athletes actually pay more than the other athletes. I've even seen it to where level's 5 receive more training and practice time but it reflects in the gym tuition being more as well. Cheaper tuition and expenses for more training & perks doesn't really make sense to me lol.

In my experience the senior aged athletes actually pay more than the other athletes. I've even seen it to where level's 5 receive more training and practice time but it reflects in the gym tuition being more as well. Cheaper tuition and expenses for more training & perks doesn't really make sense to me lol.

It is done to woo and keep high skill athletes for Worlds eligible teams. Maybe not where you are and I'm not saying it does or does not happen at my CPs gym but I know for a fact that it happens.

It is done to woo and keep high skill athletes for Worlds eligible teams. Maybe not where you are and I'm not saying it does or does not happen at my CPs gym but I know for a fact that it happens.

I wasn't questioning whether it happened in your CP's gym or not because I simply don't have any information to make that kind of statement true. I'm sure it does happen as many gyms operate differently however I was only speaking to my experience and not debating yours. :)

Coaches dont create this favoritism...
Fans create it.

Are you sure about that? I think the favoritism stems from an environment that some coaches have created and this spills over to the fans who normally choose a favorite team based on the teams success. Most of the teams that are considered favorites have a clear difference in how they are put together, who's chosen to be on them, and why.

I wasn't questioning whether it happened in your CP's gym or not because I simply don't have any information to make that kind of statement true. I'm sure it does happen as many gyms operate differently however I was only speaking to my experience and not debating yours. :)

No worries. I was just pointing out the "why" of it as you said it didn't make sense to you. Some gyms stake their reputations on their Worlds eligible teams and will do whatever it takes to be as competitive as they can.

I think that sounds more like a staffing issue, or lack there of. I'd rather have one too many coaches at practice than not enough.

That underscored my point above - there's nothing wrong having a "special" team as long as the other teams aren't neglected in the process. Everyone deserves a dedicated coach for the period of time they're in the gym.

But that's different that saying that every team has to be treated exactly the same, which isn't realistic. I like the fact that my daughter's got high-level teams to shoot for, that get to go to competitions she doesn't get to, that maybe get to have a special camp or team event. If everyone got the same perks, what is there to look forward to?

He's the biggest orange fan ever, he knows everything that has to do with them pretty much haha
Lol I know that, but you can not know everything that goes on unless you are truly on orange. I'm just wondering how he knows what goes on during orang practices.

It all has to do with perception. At our gym, the level 5 team is perceived to be the "favorite" team. I have one daughter on the level 5 team and one who is on the level 4 team. The level 5 team is held to higher standards than the other teams - they are required to come in and do extra practices, work harder, etc. However, this is also by far the most "mature" and dedicated team in the gym. I don't think they are favored any more than the other teams, but it is perceived that they are favored because of the level of attention given to them.

That underscored my point above - there's nothing wrong having a "special" team as long as the other teams aren't neglected in the process. Everyone deserves a dedicated coach for the period of time they're in the gym.

But that's different that saying that every team has to be treated exactly the same, which isn't realistic. I like the fact that my daughter's got high-level teams to shoot for, that get to go to competitions she doesn't get to, that maybe get to have a special camp or team event. If everyone got the same perks, what is there to look forward to?
I know I commented on a similar thread a while back. SS is the brand... the premiere team of WC. It is the mother land of the program. Everyone from tinys up wants to be a shooting star including the boys!! Our y5 and j5 are training teams for stars. Even with that you need an invitation to tryout. This is what keeps all the level 5 teams at WC competitive because the only way you get an invite to stars is to shine on your present team. It's what makes the WC world turn. There are equally the same number of invites given to the other senior 5 teams in the gym. Just because you are on Ody does not mean that next year you will not be on Stars. It just depends what you have and what they need. And you can't count out what walks through the door.... We have atheletes from all over the country re locating to be a SS. This is just the way it is at our program and everyone that is a part of WC is well aware of it....no surprises. We are all proud to have such a premiere team and all aspiring atheletes work hard to get there someday:)

Back