All-Star Gymnastics Gym To Supplement Tumbling Instruction?????

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i take private lessons at a gymnastics gym and ive improved so much! i started there with a layout and it didnt take me long to get my full, and whip layout

I started my CP in gymnastics 5 months ago because she had been begging me and because I wanted to help her improve her body control. The upside is that I have seen a definite improvement in her strength, flexibility, and technique. The downside is that she now wants to compete in BOTH gymnastics and cheerleading (with a slight preference toward gymnastics) and I'm now finding myself having to choose between the two or find a way to fit in both.

I started my CP in gymnastics 5 months ago because she had been begging me and because I wanted to help her improve her body control. The upside is that I have seen a definite improvement in her strength, flexibility, and technique. The downside is that she now wants to compete in BOTH gymnastics and cheerleading (with a slight preference toward gymnastics) and I'm now finding myself having to choose between the two or find a way to fit in both.

Ack!!!! I feel for you!

We did both, good luck!!! Your gonna be one busy mom, but I have to say it was great. Also, cp had the best grades since. She had to be so structured.

I believe a good gymnastics background will help, but as someone stated many people who practice gymnastics practice 10-50 hrs a week, depending on the level and dedication and thats one thing cheer athletes find uncommon. But there are many tumbling coaches in cheerleading that know what they are doing and often time there is correct instruction, but the athlete doesnt fulfill their role in keeping up with instruction - doing drills, outside conditioning, repetition of older/basic skills etc. But i dont see how gymnastics could hurt for doing privates..may not be the best for standing tumbling because it isnt very common in gymnastics - hope that helps

My daughter is a gymnast turned cheerleader and the reason why gymnast have pretty tumbling is because they are in the gym 15-40 hours a week. When you spend that much time on tumbling, you're bound to be good. Gymnastic coaches will correct your cp's bad tumbling habits, as well as help gain skills. But I've worked with cheer coaches who have been better than gymnastic coaches, really just depends on who you train with. Also, if your daughter is working on standing tumbling, I suggest you take her to a cheer coach for it. Gymnast have an entire different way to do standing tumbling, since most of the standing skills they do, involve a beam and not the floor. And just like @srt418 said, when my daughter decide to cheer, she had to take extra tumbling classes for standing tumbling.

It's not going to hurt, as has been said before... but my biggest issues with my kids going to a gymnastics gym are:

1. they don't tumble with shoes on
2. they teach swinging with their arms differently (in the front or up in a "touchdown" type position), so when I put them in a routine, I have to correct their bhs to get them used to starting with their arms at their sides. I've experienced timing issues with those particular kids.

With that being said, they may not progress at the same rate that we do in cheer tumble, but they will come out with great strength and technique:)

Back