All-Star Gyms "owning" Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Personally I believe gyms have absolutely NO right to "own" athletes. If the choose to tumble elsewhere, so be it. It's a business, and the parents pay for their child to cheer. As long as the parent is paying the gym owners have no right to kick someone off for tumbling at another gym

How can you have a cheer gym that does not offer tumbling or privates? That, as a coach in a high intensity but decidedly non-cheer sport, is a deal breaker to me.
It happens sometimes. Last year, the gym we had just switched to the year before had a huge split and we went with most of cp's team. We rented space in a gymanstics gym for the season, tumbling was originally arranged with a gymnastics coach on Friday nights, but it was discontinued due to lack of attendance. Cp started tumbling classes at another gym and that is the gym we are at now.

So they aren't required to tumble? It's included in our fees but CP is required to take one hour of tumble per week.(would be 2 hours if she were on a jr/st team)

So they aren't required to tumble? It's included in our fees but CP is required to take one hour of tumble per week.(would be 2 hours if she were on a jr/st team)
Well it always was - they certainly charged us for the tumbling class in our tuition - but when no one but my cp and an occasional other came week after week the coaches decided to cancel it and then use the $ for when we rented time in another gym to use their full floor. Basically they kept charging everyone and no one except myself and perhaps 1-2 others were willing to even question this. Our new gym does not have mandatory tumbling but I believe almost every athlete takes a tumbling class.

A different perspective....My CP had a mental block for a few months and during that time she was very self conscious about tumbling in front of her peers and tumble coach. I took her to an outside gym just to alleviate that aspect of her "mentalness" (for lack of a better word). After she had gotten over her mental block I was ready to cease going to the outside gym. It was my CP that asked to continue going to both, she explained it to me this way..."If it's not clicking with the way my math teacher is explaining something, you provide me with a tutor for a different technique or just personal encouragement, right?"

Don't sweat this, sometimes providing a different environment with a little less stress associated with it can go a long way.

This will inevitably happen with high school cheerleading. For example, some CCA cheerleaders will train with their high school at FAME and some FAME cheerleaders train with their high school at Cheer Challenge. There's no way to get around that

My daughter's been in cheer for 15 years and has taken classes everywhere under the sun. She has never been required to take classes at her gym...and her home gym is one of the most well known. They just stress to make sure proper technique is being taught. As long as it's perfection before progression it's all good. Before college days she used to actually take classes at 3 diff places all year every year. It worked great for her because she never got stuck in a rut by the same ole same ole teaching method. She's now tumbling at a place that allow other allstar shirts to be worn....except for her home gym. She's about to quit tumbling there because that's petty silliness

Back