All-Star How Important Is The Title 'nationals'?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Having been in Allstars since 1997, it is a huge change with all the competitions that say they are Nationals. Back in the day it was UCA or NCA. Which were also 2 different styles. UCA being more college style and NCA being very flashy. Maybe they should should only be called Nationals if they give bids to Worlds? It can be very misleading to people saying they won a National Title at a competition held in a High School Gymnasium vs. something like Cheersport. We do need to come up with proper some kind of tiering system to make things more prestigious. Coaches also use this "title" situation to help with job placement. Say a coach puts on their resume the coached a National Championship squad, but they were not against anyone compared to someone that could be a great coach but never placed higher than 3rd because of competitions they chose to attend were against 10 other squads. The outside world think the "National Championship" coach was better. We have lots of things to fix in our sport!

What does gymnastics call the other championships that are not nationals?
In gymanastics, when referring to championship meets they are usually titled:
Regional Championships
State Championships
National Championships

oh...
World Championships
and
OLYMPICS :)

Not copyright, you just arent allowed to name your event Worlds. Whats the difference?

This is only required if you are a USASF sanctioned event. (USAF/Varsity "owns' licensing to the term "The Cheerleading Worlds" and "The Dance Worlds")

Agree "nationals" really means nothing more than two day event at this point!
There are plenty of Nationals competitions that are only 1 day.

Nationals titles are impressive so long as no one asks any questions.

As soon as you have to qualify it, or explain you didn't compete against anyone, then it's a joke to anyone outside the sport and embarrasing to anyone in it.

Coaches also use this "title" situation to help with job placement. Say a coach puts on their resume the coached a National Championship squad, but they were not against anyone compared to someone that could be a great coach but never placed higher than 3rd because of competitions they chose to attend were against 10 other squads.

This. One of the moms of another kid on CP's team is a private school cheer coach. She had originally started working with a little rinky-dink gym in the town they live in. When she was talking with the owner about the credentials of the person who would be doing choreography for the school team, he told her that the girl (HS age I believe) has won a National Championship title (as a competitior, not coach). The mom simply told the man that her five year old has one of those as well, and asked to know her other qualifications. There were none. She ended up partnering with our gym instead.

Our high school dance team won at a some competition and they were apparently "national champions". There were only 3 people in their divison and all were from the surrounding area. Not very "national" to me...

Now, because the term Nationals is so ubiquitous, would you attend anything NOT labeled a Nationals now? That started new?

I am a believer in their being one true nationals in each country and then one true worlds. In other sports/art forms I have been involved with where that does occur both competitions are run by the governing body of the sport/art form. In both instances however the international governing body has national associations in each country all of whom are required to pay to register with them each year and must follow their rules. All athletes must likewise pay to register with their assocations to compete. This means the governing body can control what is deemed regionals, nationals, a qualifying event and even a championship vs not a championship. Our complicating factor IMO is that we have IEPs. Until there is a way to regulate and control the IEPs I don't think this issue will ever be resolved.

I am a believer in their being one true nationals in each country and then one true worlds. In other sports/art forms I have been involved with where that does occur both competitions are run by the governing body of the sport/art form. In both instances however the international governing body has national associations in each country all of whom are required to pay to register with them each year and must follow their rules. All athletes must likewise pay to register with their assocations to compete. This means the governing body can control what is deemed regionals, nationals, a qualifying event and even a championship vs not a championship. Our complicating factor IMO is that we have IEPs. Until there is a way to regulate and control the IEPs I don't think this issue will ever be resolved.

The issue with having one true nationals is the one true nationals would replace Worlds, and then worlds would get smaller. Really just ban the word nationals from all events.

The issue with having one true nationals is the one true nationals would replace Worlds, and then worlds would get smaller. Really just ban the word nationals from all events.

Considering the culture, politics, and idiosyncrasies of Allstar cheerleading, this might be difficult to do in one fell swoop. Perhaps a good first step would be for the USASF to require each event producer to designate one competition as their "National Championship".

Considering the culture, politics, and idiosyncrasies of Allstar cheerleading, this might be difficult to do in one fell swoop. Perhaps a good first step would be for the USASF to require each event producer to designate one competition as their "National Championship".

Seriously the idea of multiple national champions is kinda ludicrous. It's like having multiple first places for the same division.

Seriously the idea of multiple national champions is kinda ludicrous. It's like having multiple first places for the same division.

Agreed. And so is the idea of multiple scoresheets that our athletes compete under. It just often seems that common sense solutions aren't immediately implemented so I proposed a more deliberate approach that could be considered a compromise.

Our complicating factor IMO is that we have IEPs. Until there is a way to regulate and control the IEPs I don't think this issue will ever be resolved.

I think IEPs are the only thing keeping the sport from being one great big monopoly with no balance to it

Back