All-Star Juggling All Star Cheer With Distance And High School Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This reminds me of one day when we were driving to practice (1.5 hr away) and CP was writing an essay. We were getting close to the gym so she "surprisingly" and "suddenly" killed her character (because she knew she had to wrap it up). She got rave reviews about the come from nowhere ending! Lol.

Droplet is pretty young, so it may be a little different for her than for an older child, however due to our 1.5 hour each way commute for cheer her grades are the best they have ever been. She's doing more reading and working harder at math because she doesn't have anything else to do. She goes to a private school where they have to do memorization work twice a week and the whole carpool ends up knowing it.. Haha.. But she gets it perfectly every week. I'm not going to lie and say it didn't really worry me, but so far it's been great. I had many concerns about the carpool and drive, but it's added work ethic and structure to her life that honestly I think will benefit her going forward, whether she sticks with cheer in the long run or not.

I don't know whether your cp is on an Allstar team or school, but on my HS team, we could get demerits but also earn merits. However, people would always abuse it, like they would miss a game or practice but then do something to get their merits back. They decided, "well I can miss this game but then I'll bring healthy snacks and water for everyone next practice so I won't get kicked off the team!" They just used it as a way to miss practice/games and not get in trouble.
My cps are on a school team. There are only lots of ways to earn demerits.

But, the coach has already missed a game...if she earns enough is she gone?

Another thing to consider is that if your kids even THINK that they want to cheer in college, that high school experience is PRICELESS.

The game day/crowdleading portion of college tryouts is often what makes or breaks kids.

Honestly, every kid at a competitive college tryout has the tumbling/stunting, but it's that PRESENCE and ability to lead that often moves kids from "maybe" to "yes" in coaches' eyes.

That's part of the reason why a lot of all star coaches are working hard to make it possible for kids to do both.

With that said, for school cheer to benefit you, you need to be actually participating. If you tell a coach that you did school cheer for 3 years along with all stars, when in all actuality you did like, one game every season and the comps, it shows when you're next to the girls who were in school cheer at least 70% of the time and have perfected their presence.

See also: TRYING OUT FOR UCA AND NCA STAFF. If you ever think that's something you want, school cheer is going to benefit you immensely.
Again you nailed it perfectly:). I gained such a new respect for HS cheerleaders when oldest cp decided to leave all star cheer. I still have another in all star. Again I can't say it too many times how much my cp has gained from the experience of HS cheer. Also the colleges in my area look for HS cheer experience. I love and respect the "differences" between each other. My cp has been lucky to have both worlds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a coach, I am pretty understanding when CP's want to do both... Our all star teams have team tumbling Friday's and all stunt group practices are on Friday's as well so we usually end up telling girls that do both that they cannot do a stunt team and they have to take tumbling on a diff day (most do Saturdays). That being said... the HS's in our area are highly competitive with crazy (read: Cheer Nazi) coaches and most DO NOT allow girls to do All-Star so girls usually have to choose. We've set up our higher level and older teams to practice twice a week from 6-9 specifically to not conflict with HS cheer but the coaches still don't allow them.

Colleges will ALWAYS look for the HS cheer experience so if she can swing both (HMWK in the car- I am a teacher too so I know how important this is) she should.

I can't work or read in a car without getting nauseous.

same. i am also jealous of the people at my school who can study pathology while sprinting on the treadmill. i will actually get motion sickness and throw up. i even tried studying on the bicycle and still got a little nauseous. my life would be so much more efficient if i had that skill.

same. i am also jealous of the people at my school who can study pathology while sprinting on the treadmill. i will actually get motion sickness and throw up. i even tried studying on the bicycle and still got a little nauseous. my life would be so much more efficient if i had that skill.
Exactly. I've started to be able to bike and read (on a stationary bike, of course) because I can hold it steady in my hand but ellipticals and treadmills? No way. I also used to be able to read in the car when I was younger but I lost the ability as I got older.

Same with my child. She gets out of ballet at 9pm, and then we have an hour train ride home. She tried studying on the train, but she kept getting these horrible headaches and she was nauseated.

Now she just stays up later to get it done, which I hate. But so far it's working - as long as her grades stay up and she can get up in the mornings, I let her do her thing. She does nap on the train.

You have to sit back really far (practically lay horizontally) to avoid getting nauseous. At least that's what I heard Tyra Banks saying once, she has the same problem.

Back