All-Star Mature "look" For 12-13 Year Olds On Senior Worlds Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

anythingforcheer

Cheer Parent
Feb 25, 2010
How do you feel about your cp transitioning to the "mature look" because they are now on Senior Worlds teams? My friend's daughter is 13 and was told she needs to have a more mature look for her team that consisted of adding eyelashes; hair extensions; hair coloring and very expensive makeup palette. Is this the norm or even necessary for the younger athletes on worlds teams to fit in with the older athletes and have similiar look?

How do you feel about your cp transitioning to the "mature look" because they are now on Senior Worlds teams? My friend's daughter is 13 and was told she needs to have a more mature look for her team that consisted of adding eyelashes; hair extensions; hair coloring and very expensive makeup palette. Is this the norm or even necessary for the younger athletes on worlds teams to fit in with the older athletes and have similiar look?
Her gym sounds highly superficial. I'm not neck deep in the all star world, but I've never heard of a gym asking for a kid to get hair extensions.

I would think that for competitions she should obviously be required to wear the uniform and make up the same as the rest of her team. Other than that though, she shouldn't have to look any certain way as long as she looks presentable when representing her team. No one should be forcing a younger athlete to look or act older than they are just so they'll fit in on a team.

I feel like I am so desensitized from mature makeup because I started allstar when I was in 8th grade. I was never a baby wearing all this making. I didn't start wearing eyelashes until I was in the tenth grade. I already had a somewhat mature looking face so it wasn't totally out of the ordinary.

Do babies need heavy stage makeup? No. Does it look better when they do? Meh. Do teenagers need heavy stage makeup? No. Does it look better when they do? Most of the time, yeah.

Everyone needs to learn to contour their cheekbones. It helps lift your entire face and can create the illusion of a smile even when you're rocking a straight face. Not to mention, makes the younger team members look older.

Cheerleading can be very superficial. That being said, as long as she does her hair and makeup according to the gym standards she should be left alone. I don't believe in making kids look older than they are. No where is "ability to get into a club" on the scoresheet. Tbough, I am the coach who had my minis wear straight side ponys because it was more age appropriate than half up curls with a poof.

I feel like I am so desensitized from mature makeup because I started allstar when I was in 8th grade. I was never a baby wearing all this making. I didn't start wearing eyelashes until I was in the tenth grade. I already had a somewhat mature looking face so it wasn't totally out of the ordinary.

Do babies need heavy stage makeup? No. Does it look better when they do? Meh. Do teenagers need heavy stage makeup? No. Does it look better when they do? Most of the time, yeah.

Everyone needs to learn to contour their cheekbones. It helps lift your entire face and can create the illusion of a smile even when you're rocking a straight face. Not to mention, makes the younger team members look older.
I'm 24 and can't contour my face. Please feel free to come teach me. :)

Imo, they not asking for a more mature look but a uniform one. The venues get larger and the comps get more intense production-wise. That means that the teams may be competing on tv, under more lights and are much further away from the audience. Often placement at these comps are decided within tenths of a point. All of the things that they are asking for have a reason. It helps with uniformity among the team and brings out the best features of the performers even under harsh stage lights. This is a performance sport, as well as an athletic one. You don't want the judges' eyes drawn to the one who stands out as different; you want the judge to notice the routine and the team not a specific individual.

Last edited:
Imo, it is not a more mature look but a uniform one. The venues get larger and the comps get more intense production-wise. That means that the teams may be competing on tv, under more lights and are much further away from the audience. Often placement at these comps are decided within tenths of a point. All of the things that they are asking for have a reason. It helps with uniformity among the team and brings out the best features of the performers even under harsh stage lights. This is a performance sport, as well as an athletic one. You don't want the judges' eyes drawn to the one who stands out as different; you want the judge to notice the routine and the team not and individual.
Yes, but eyelashes and hair extensions are totally unnecessary. If that's for the sake of "uniformity" than everyone needs to dye their hair the same color and spray their skin the same tone. We often claim that these things (makeup, hair, glitter, uniforms) enhance the sport. Taking a step back though, Stingrays have won 7 gold medals without any of those things being over the top. Teams have crashed and burned with beautiful tans and lashes. Let the kids be kids and we may see an increase of customers in the industry.

I'm 24 and can't contour my face. Please feel free to come teach me. :)
I'll teach you right now! Start with either a matte bronzer or a pressed powder foundation two shades darker than your skin tone. Darker colors and shadows are going to recede on your face, where light colors or shimmers are going to draw attention to or lift. Take an angled blush brush and pick up some powder or bronzer, and make sure you tap off the excess. It's easy to add depth, but hard to take it off once it's on your face. Make a fish face and suck in your cheeks. Starting from the hairline, begin applying your contour color. Follow the natural shape that your cheek bones make, staying in that hollow space you have since your cheeks are being sucked in. Try not to go past your eyes when you are contouring, otherwise it can muddy up your face.

Usually my contour is enough for me that I don't have to highlight, but if you feel like you want more contrast, use a highlighter or illuminating powder on the tops of your cheekbones!

I know that was super long winded and wordy, but I did try to cut it down, I swear. Cheekbones are pretty much the only thing I can give advice on, without seeing your face. Contouring and highlighting is meant to enhance the features we want more attention drawn to and balancing the face, so naturally everyone's highlight and contour will be different!

I've said this before, in my experience, the younger the cheerleader, the more likely her mom wants bling, flash, hair, makeup, etc. not a comment on the OP, but a comment on cheer growing more if that stuff was less.

I'll teach you right now! Start with either a matte bronzer or a pressed powder foundation two shades darker than your skin tone. Darker colors and shadows are going to recede on your face, where light colors or shimmers are going to draw attention to or lift. Take an angled blush brush and pick up some powder or bronzer, and make sure you tap off the excess. It's easy to add depth, but hard to take it off once it's on your face. Make a fish face and suck in your cheeks. Starting from the hairline, begin applying your contour color. Follow the natural shape that your cheek bones make, staying in that hollow space you have since your cheeks are being sucked in. Try not to go past your eyes when you are contouring, otherwise it can muddy up your face.

Usually my contour is enough for me that I don't have to highlight, but if you feel like you want more contrast, use a highlighter or illuminating powder on the tops of your cheekbones!

I know that was super long winded and wordy, but I did try to cut it down, I swear. Cheekbones are pretty much the only thing I can give advice on, without seeing your face. Contouring and highlighting is meant to enhance the features we want more attention drawn to and balancing the face, so naturally everyone's highlight and contour will be different!
I think I need to find this angled blush brush thing.

Back