All-Star Nca Sunday Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Gabrielle/Gabriella is very popular. Cp has her bff, 2 more on her team, plus at least 3 at school. Former-cp's roommate is also a Gabby.

Definitely a HUGE difference between Northern and Southern names!

I'm not going to lie, but honestly I though these names were more cultural than geographical.

For instance if I meet a Tinsleigh, Kinsleeee, Paisleeeeeeeigh, Keaton, Jaxieee, McGilligan etc I would just assume she was white. Could be white in SC could be white in Massachusetts. Maybe in the South they might stick on a hyphen with a Mae or Ann tto turn it into a double name, but for real, I just thought that was the trend for what some white people. I didn't know these names weren't national (problems).

Same thing with black people and 'Asia and 'iyah names I.e My'Asia, Malaysia, Janiyah, Kaniyah (the last two are relatives of mine btw)....

Like I just thought those were the cultural trends nation wide

(Btw on Project Runway Jr there was a kid from Cali named "Peyti" so what's happening on the west coast? That sounds southern right (according to this)?)

And yes I'm aware that what I said sounds stereotypical, but it is what it is.

Eye opening to know I can get a job out of state and escape these names

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going to lie, but honestly I though these names were more cultural than geographical.

For instance if I meet a Tinsleigh, Kinsleeee, Paisleeeeeeeigh, Keaton, Jaxieee, McGilligan etc I would just assume she was white. Could be white in SC could be white in Massachusetts. Maybe in the South they might stick on a hyphen with a Mae or Ann tto turn it into a double name, but for real, I just thought that was the trend for what some white people. I didn't know these names weren't national (problems).

Same thing with black people and 'Asia and 'iyah names I.e My'Asia, Malaysia, Janiyah, Kaniyah (the last two are relatives of mine btw)....

Like I just thought those were the cultural trends nation wide

And yes I'm aware that what I said sounds stereotypical, but it is what it is.

Eye opening to know I can get a job out of state and escape these names

I think when you go to places that are a little more diverse you see less cultural stereotypes with names, but I know what you mean.
I'm always confused by names that have a capital letter in the middle of them, like McKinley or MacKenzie. That to me is a completely Southern thing.

Coaching and working in a HS really shows you how popular certain names are.

Ex: Working middle school incoming student/orientation events and info nights for cheer, it appears that everyone incoming from middle school (so ages 12-14) is a:

Madison/Maddison/Madysen.

Baylee/Bayleigh/Bayley/Bailey.

Haley/Hayley/some other variation of Hayleigh.

McKayla/McKenna/McKenzie/McKaylee.

Karsyn/Kambree/Kassidy.

Aubrey/Aubree/Aubrie.

Then there's your Emma/Isabella/Bella/Sophia.

I think that covers it.

We have an overload of Madi/Maddie/Maddys at my gym. We have 5 on one small team... And 3 of them have the same last initial.

I have an Aubrie on one team and an Audrey on the other. I struggle so hard with calling them each the wrong name. They both just respond to either name now.

I've seen Asch'leigh. No lie.

What about girl names like Hunter? I feel like the South has more Hunters.

I have a friend from high school who named her kid that

The kid wears giant bows and those awful mismatch print frilly ruffly outfits.

I laugh at the kids name and think about the time we were out when we were like 14 and heard a mom yell at her kid named "Chance" and what a strange name it was

And here she is with a Hunter

But I suppose since her name is McKeever, I really shouldn't have expected much from her

We're pretty traditional here with names. Layla, Olivia, Maya, Alexis, Sofia, Ava, Chloe, Emma, Taylor, Abigail, Noah, Braydon, Jackson, Ryan, Parker, Hunter, Mason are the popular names around here.

Around here you can't tell somebody's culture by their name.

I think when you go to places that are a little more diverse you see less cultural stereotypes with names, but I know what you mean.
I'm always confused by names that have a capital letter in the middle of them, like McKinley or MacKenzie. That to me is a completely Southern thing.

I have a former friend from when I was in college (I told her off on Facebook and unfriended her last month. She tried it) and she named her kid Ja-Lynn

I have a former friend from when I was in college (I told her off on Facebook and unfriended her last month. She tried it) and she named her kid Ja-Lynn

We have a lot of apostrophe names up North.
I have a friend who was going to name her daughter Brooke Lynn. We told her that she either needs to just use Brooklyn or to come up with a different middle name. Which she did.

We're pretty traditional here with names. Layla, Olivia, Maya, Alexis, Sofia, Ava, Chloe, Emma, Taylor, Abigail, Noah, Braydon, Jackson, Ryan, Parker, Hunter, Mason are the popular names around here.

Around here you can't tell somebody's culture by their name.

My younger sister intends to use that name but I don't like it as first name.

It's our last name

We have lots of Ella's, Sophia's, Haley's, Lexi/Alexis's, Kaitlyn's and Alaina's at the gym I work at in Missouri.

I once had a stunt group in a youth 1 complete with a Nataleigh, a Kealie, a Kaylee (who had a little sis names Korlee May), and a Kinley (and an Alex was in it too but I'm trying to make a point about names lol). On that same team I had a Camryn, an Adalyn, a Zoiee, a Payton, a Corynn, and lastly, a Presleigh.
#southerncoachprobs
I'd like to add, the mini teams are even worse. Last year we had a Paisley, a Ryleigh, a Rylee (yeah, two with the same name), a Mikynsleigh, twins names Josie and Jael, a Camri (who I always thought was spelled like the car until I went back and checked our teams on FB just now), and a Harmony. (We had like 3 other kids on that team but literally more than half of them followed this new trend of giving your kids normal-sounding weirdly-spelled names)
Nataliegh...are you kidding me? I get wanting to be different but what? I've ever seen that before.

And Mikynsleigh...idk what to even do with that.

Super glad I have a normal name. The only way you can mess up Hannah is by forgetting the h on the end. Or doing just one n (hanah/hana) but that's just wrong.

When you have a substitute teacher and they are calling the roll, and they say "Is my-kah here?" And I'm just like "It's mee-ka"
Most annoying thing ever. And it happens every time (except for 2!)
(Btw it's spelled Mika)

Maybe she's a fan of Tatum O'Neil?

The most unusual name I've seen from someone I know is probably Brixton.

A lot of bloggers I've noticed have chosen some interesting names for their children. (Like Mckinli, the woman in the chalkboard baby name photo.)
Lol nah, this is the Southern US. We're a simple people. She named that poor baby after Channing Tatum.
Nataliegh...are you kidding me? I get wanting to be different but what? I've ever seen that before.

And Mikynsleigh...idk what to even do with that.

Super glad I have a normal name. The only way you can mess up Hannah is by forgetting the h on the end. Or doing just one n (hanah/hana) but that's just wrong.

And funny you should mention that one. She had a maajorr Susie's mom. Quit when her special snowflake didn't make level 2 (bc with a name like Nataleigh you're born to be a special snowflake, basically). Rarely have I been excited to see a family move to a "better" gym.

my parents gave my sister a boy name because they were certain she was a boy (this was back before sonograms apparently) then they had to think of a different first name to use, so my dad named her after a waitress inside the hospital that he apparently chatted with a few hours after she was born..

my first name apparently is pretty old school, since im named after my great grandmother.

but i really like the names autumn, audrey, aundrea or mckayla.

We have lots of Ella's, Sophia's, Haley's, Lexi/Alexis's, Kaitlyn's and Alaina's at the gym I work at in Missouri.

I know so many lexi's! That and Alex's (Alexis/Alexandra but shortened to Alex rather than Lexi). And when I worked at camp invention I swear every other little girl was named Sophia (or Sofia). I do like that name though!
Coaching and working in a HS really shows you how popular certain names are.

Ex: Working middle school incoming student/orientation events and info nights for cheer, it appears that everyone incoming from middle school (so ages 12-14) is a:

Madison/Maddison/Madysen.

Baylee/Bayleigh/Bayley/Bailey.

Haley/Hayley/some other variation of Hayleigh.

McKayla/McKenna/McKenzie/McKaylee.

Karsyn/Kambree/Kassidy.

Aubrey/Aubree/Aubrie.

Then there's your Emma/Isabella/Bella/Sophia.

I think that covers it.
Two of my best friends are middle school small group leaders at my church and there are three Isabelles in their small group. Of about 13 total.
There were 3 Olivia's including me on my HS cheer team- 4 in my chorus class.
The popular name in cheer for me was always Kayla. I don't think I even know a Kayla that I didn't meet through cheer!
I've always liked the name Blake for a girl, but I like some boys names for girls. I don't think Blakely is too common, but it's also not uncommon.
I do too! But only specific ones. And Bailey is NOT a boy name (I may be a lil biased there). Im a big fan of Charlotte going by Charlie. I think it's so cute but considering the new princess Charlotte, it'll probs be overused and I'll be over it by the time I'm having kids. Also a big fan of Drew for a girl and Alexandra --> Alex.
I better have girl children because there are really no boy names I love.

Back