Same with working in the NICU!

Currently:
Ava
Leightyn
Leila/ Layla
Lila/ Lyla
Owen
Bryson/ Brycen
Braxton ( I live in Ohio, Braxton Miller is a big deal)
... And then we have all the names with ' and - that we can never pronounce...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When my niece was in the NICU she and at least 5 other babies had the middle name "Grace". Lots of Grace/Grayson/Gracen/Gracies are running around here.

My niece's first name is Camryn. I clap out a lot of Camryn/Cameron's in story time

It slays my spirit when the teachers/kid says the name is "Cameron" but pronounce it "Camryn" and want to clap it out with 3 syllables Cam-er-un.

I pronounce Camryn and Cameron differently

Just like Erin and Aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never known a single Gianna. I feel like names that end with an ah sound are very New York / New Jersey thing. Or maybe that's just my perspective from watching Real Housewives.

My cousin named her baby Finley. She was crushed when I told her its on the top baby name lists now.

Same

Also 12 years ago when my cousin named her kid "Sophia Isabella" I was confused

But now there are tons of Sophia's and Isabella's running around here

I once had a stunt group in a youth 1 complete with a Nataleigh, a Kealie, a Kaylee (who had a little sis names Korlee May), and a Kinley (and an Alex was in it too but I'm trying to make a point about names lol). On that same team I had a Camryn, an Adalyn, a Zoiee, a Payton, a Corynn, and lastly, a Presleigh.
#southerncoachprobs
I'd like to add, the mini teams are even worse. Last year we had a Paisley, a Ryleigh, a Rylee (yeah, two with the same name), a Mikynsleigh, twins names Josie and Jael, a Camri (who I always thought was spelled like the car until I went back and checked our teams on FB just now), and a Harmony. (We had like 3 other kids on that team but literally more than half of them followed this new trend of giving your kids normal-sounding weirdly-spelled names)

Last edited:
I have never known a single Gianna. I feel like names that end with an uh sound are very New York / New Jersey thing. Or maybe that's just my perspective from watching Real Housewives.

My cousin named her baby Finley. She was crushed when I told her its on the top baby name lists now.
Maybe...I've got a bunch of Sophia's, Alyssa's, Isabella's, Brianna's, Emma's and more I'm sure if I sat and thought about it.

I once had a stunt group in a youth 1 complete with a Nataleigh, a Kealie, a Kaylee, and a Kinley (and an Alex was in it too but I'm trying to make a point about names lol). On that same team I had a Camryn, an Adalyn, a Zoiee, a Payton, a Corynn, and lastly, a Presleigh.
#southerncoachprobs
I'd like to add, the mini teams are even worse. Last year we had a Paisley, a Ryleigh, a Rylee (yeah, two with the same name), a Mikynsleigh, twins names Josie and Jael, a Camri (who I always thought was spelled like the car until I went back and checked our teams on FB just now), and a Harmony. (We had like 3 other kids on that team but literally more than half of them followed this new trend of giving your kids normal-sounding weirdly-spelled names)

1. I'd probably call that kid "Pre- Sleigh " around her parents instead of Pressley because of my trollish nature

2. Guess her parents wanted to use all of the letters. Poor thing must have been so stressed when she was in pre school having to spell Mykyinaeeaseleeeiggghhh while "Bob" was sitting next to her chilling

1. I'd probably call that kid "Pre- Sleigh " around her parents instead of Pressley because of my trollish nature

2. Guess her parents wanted to use all of the letters. Poor thing must of been so stressed when she was in pre school having to spell Mykyinaeeaseleeeiggghhh while "Bob" was sitting next to her chilling

Hahaha I think I spelled it wrong, looking at it now. I might should switch the i and the y. (Pronounced mih-kens-lee.) I'm an adult and I can't even spell it.
IMO, names over 2 syllables shouldn't exist. It's a mouthful. If your name is more than 2 syllables you should call yourself something that is shorter. Ex. My sisters name is Marianna, (family name) but everyone calls her Anna. It works. When you're yelling at her bc she took your shoes, you don't run out of breath before you finish saying her name.

Hahaha I think I spelled it wrong, looking at it now. I might should switch the i and the y. (Pronounced mih-kens-lee.) I'm an adult and I can't even spell it.
IMO, names over 2 syllables shouldn't exist. It's a mouthful. If your name is more than 2 syllables you should call yourself something that is shorter. Ex. My sisters name is Marianna, (family name) but everyone calls her Anna. It works. When you're yelling at her bc she took your shoes, you don't run out of breath before you finish saying her name.

I prefer 3 syllable names when I'm doing Super Duper 1-2-3 because it flows better

Super- Duper 1 2 3
Can you Say your name for me
Mad-ee-son
Can you clap it
X-X-X
Can you snap it
X-X-X

Two syllable names throw off the flow and rhythm and I have to take weird pauses

And one syllable names throw off the kids and they start chanting the name, like they're at a keg party

Yes I know...being a librarian is hard

Last edited:
@ErinS I never played that as a child, so I didn't actually know that was a thing... I guess I was deprived ;)
While we're talking about names though, no lie, a girl I went to high school with's sister just had a boy and named it Tatum...

@ErinS I never played that as a child, so I didn't actually know that was a thing... I guess I was deprived ;)
While we're talking about names though, no lie, a girl I went to high school with's sister just had a boy and named it Tatum...

I didn't do it as a kid either , it's just something I do in storytime to pretend like I'm going to learn all of these kids names and they like it.

Anyway they're all "Jaylon" to me.

I have never known a single Gianna. I feel like names that end with an uh sound are very New York / New Jersey thing. Or maybe that's just my perspective from watching Real Housewives.

I had a neighbor named Gianna growing up in Upstate NY.

I think (downstate) NY/NJ have huge Italian and Jewish populations and you get a different set of popular names.

Coincidentally some of my room mates names were Angela, Samantha, and Lisa. And then you have the -elles. Some other room mates I had were Gabrielle, Danielle, and Michelle.

Those southern names though. I'm sorry southerners but I can't with y'all. This is what sweet tea does to your brain[emoji14]

I once had a stunt group in a youth 1 complete with a Nataleigh, a Kealie, a Kaylee (who had a little sis names Korlee May), and a Kinley (and an Alex was in it too but I'm trying to make a point about names lol). On that same team I had a Camryn, an Adalyn, a Zoiee, a Payton, a Corynn, and lastly, a Presleigh.
#southerncoachprobs
I've seen Asch'leigh. No lie.

What about girl names like Hunter? I feel like the South has more Hunters.

I had a neighbor named Gianna growing up in Upstate NY.

I think (downstate) NY/NJ have huge Italian and Jewish populations and you get a different set of popular names.

Coincidentally some of my room mates names were Angela, Samantha, and Lisa. And then you have the -elles. Some other room mates I had were Gabrielle, Danielle, and Michelle.

Those southern names though. I'm sorry southerners but I can't with y'all. This is what sweet tea does to your brain[emoji14]
Gabrielle/Gabriella is very popular. Cp has her bff, 2 more on her team, plus at least 3 at school. Former-cp's roommate is also a Gabby.

My brother's name is Brian. It was definitely more popular when we were growing up - there was one summer when we knew 13 Brians.

Definitely a HUGE difference between Northern and Southern names!

Gabrielle/Gabriella is very popular. Cp has her bff, 2 more on her team, plus at least 3 at school. Former-cp's roommate is also a Gabby.

Definitely a HUGE difference between Northern and Southern names!
It's weird because it's not a name I saw frequently until I went to school where there were a lot of downstate people. Suddenly there were 15 on every dorm room floor. Same with Samantha. Sooooo many Sams and gabbys. I think Nicole and Ashley were the popular girl names in my home town. My bff's name is Nicole and I knew atleast 10 throughout HS.

Back