OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
What was so awful about it? Hoping mine in a few weeks goes better...

Ours wasn't fun. We had very few group activities and getting to know you games. It was more "we're gonna make you sit in lecture halls for 6 hours boring you to death and btw you have to pick your schedule tomorrow. Here are the most confusing pieces of paper you've ever read for picking your schedule, have fun deciphering them. It is CRUCIAL you pick the right classes! Don't mess up! And then we're gonna talk about all the sad things about moving to school and leaving your friends and family. Also here are all the horror stories about sororities and fraternities." I'm sure feeling overwhelmed and me being a very shy person added to it for me, too. My friends at school later on also said they did not enjoy orientation at all and they also cried so I'm going to assume it might just be just our school.

Good news is, despite orientation being horrible, I ended up loving the school and the professors. I'm sure yours won't be as bad though.

Anxiously awaiting my score for one of the most important tests I will ever take (probably second behind the National Board Exam). I feel like it's Worlds weekend with how many times I've been hitting refresh on Blackboard this morning. I thought I did well on it, but when I'm confident is when I tend to do the worst lol. I'm so impatient.

so my wedding countdown has officially begun now thats its june, have one year to really start getting things in order. already got cake, venue, reception, priest, wedding music, photographer. about to book a private catering tasting within the next month or two. we also have a wedding website, which im starting to feel is pointless, i mean we did it in one night and its pretty pathetic looking, outside the fact that is has the info about our wedding and registries everything else looks really last minute thrown together.
ahhhhh.....also is it weird to start a gofundme page for a honeymoon. im seriously considering it.

so my wedding countdown has officially begun now thats its june, have one year to really start getting things in order. already got cake, venue, reception, priest, wedding music, photographer. about to book a private catering tasting within the next month or two. we also have a wedding website, which im starting to feel is pointless, i mean we did it in one night and its pretty pathetic looking, outside the fact that is has the info about our wedding and registries everything else looks really last minute thrown together.
ahhhhh.....also is it weird to start a gofundme page for a honeymoon. im seriously considering it.

My cousin did a crowd funding site for his honeymoon and my family thought it was really cheesy :( I feel like you could maybe "ask" for money for your honeymoon in one of your registries or something. There's a way to get what you want, but I'm not sure a go fund me page would be the classiest way!

My cousin did a crowd funding site for his honeymoon and my family thought it was really cheesy :( I feel like you could maybe "ask" for money for your honeymoon in one of your registries or something. There's a way to get what you want, but I'm not sure a go fund me page would be the classiest way!
my thought process is, that if people dont want to go out and buy a gift, they can just do the honeymoon thing instead. the more i think about it though, it does sound ridiculous. we are having a small wedding, easily less then 80 people. actually my FI thought it was a good idea and already put it up, but im just thinking of taking it down, i dont know it sounded good at the time. but im kinda ehh on the idea. i figured all our college friends would rather donate then buy some fancy gift....

ugh please don't. I know I am extremely opinionated about gofundme/social media fundraising but I just find it tacky and somewhat irresponsible. Most people will give money as a wedding gift anyway.
Enjoy the wedding planning! I had just about everything that could go wrong happen and it was still a great day!

ugh please don't. I know I am extremely opinionated about gofundme/social media fundraising but I just find it tacky and somewhat irresponsible. Most people will give money as a wedding gift anyway.
Enjoy the wedding planning! I had just about everything that could go wrong happen and it was still a great day!
see i didnt even think of this till after he set one up. personally i have yet to even tell people we have a website, ha. i think outside of my mom no one has seen it, we did one of those wedding apps for the phone that has all the details and registries on it, which i think is an awesome little app, and in all honesty way more convenient then an actual wedding website.

Sorry go fund me is not for a honeymoon, if u can't afford it then maybe cut back on wedding costs.

I feel this way because a friend who has MS and is quickly deteriorating has one for a van So he can get his kids around, that is what it is for.

Despite everyone's views on gofundme, I think if you believe it will work for you, then do it. If I were invited to a friend's wedding right now, I would rather give them money then a gift. I would not feel comfortable putting $100ish dollars in cash in an envelope and then leaving it sitting out in public. Seeing as I'm a young adult and this is the 21st century, I don't own checks, so that option is out. Nor do I have a bank near me to send one through. I wouldn't want to send a gift card seeing as the use of those are semi-limited and I hate getting them. So if my friends set up a go fund me for their honeymoon for people who'd rather opt out of a gift, I would use it and not think twice about it. At least I know my donation would make them happy and that's all I'd care about. It's also helpful for friends and family who can't make the wedding, dont have a way/don't feel comfortable sending money through the mail, but still want to contribute and give you something. I honestly don't see the difference in using gofundme compared to giving money in a card. You're donating money no matter what, only the way you do it is different.

If people wanna tell you it's tacky then whatever. You'll be sitting on a beach somewhere sipping mojitos soon so who cares? Gofundme is used for many reasons, not just people with medical issues who need help.

Btw, I really love the website idea! My friend is getting married soon and we were talking about a website for hers too. It'd be cool if you could upload pics from your wedding so everyone can see them/save them if they aren't on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

my thought process is, that if people dont want to go out and buy a gift, they can just do the honeymoon thing instead. the more i think about it though, it does sound ridiculous. we are having a small wedding, easily less then 80 people. actually my FI thought it was a good idea and already put it up, but im just thinking of taking it down, i dont know it sounded good at the time. but im kinda ehh on the idea. i figured all our college friends would rather donate then buy some fancy gift....

You can do whatever you want, it's ultimately your choice, but I will tell you that I spent a lot of time researching wedding etiquette while planning my wedding, and the etiquette opinion on honeyfunds are that they're a big no no and nothing more than a cash grab and are likely to piss off some of your guests. The idea is that a traditional registry is there to help your guests - "I want to get them something for their house, but don't know what" - whereas anyone that wants to give you money can do so without the prompt of a honeyfund. And you'll get to keep 100% of it instead of the cut that honeyfund/go fund me keeps.

90% of my gifts were checks/cash and we only had a traditional registry (Macy's and Crate & Barrel). If someone wants to give you a monetary gift and is worried about the security of the card box (our venue staff kept an eye on it) they can always give it to you at another time, or mail it, or get a bank check, or send it to you on paypal/google wallet/venmo/whatever. Or just get a checkbook because they're cheap and good to have on hand (I basically only use mine for wedding gifts and paying for cheering bills haha). Anyway that's my wedding etiquette soapbox speech for the day.

But again, ultimately it's your choice. I'd do a honeyfund type site instead of go fund me, and starting one a year before your wedding seems a little like you're fundrasing for your wedding though.

Last edited:
On an unrelated note, does anyone here happen to wear Acuvue TrueEye lenses?

Sorry go fund me is not for a honeymoon, if u can't afford it then maybe cut back on wedding costs.

I feel this way because a friend who has MS and is quickly deteriorating has one for a van So he can get his kids around, that is what it is for.
I agree that it's technically considered poor etiquette for someone to use crowd funding for a honeymoon (I have no idea why - most people I know need a vacation a whole lot more than they need a gravy boat... But I do know it's supposedly bad)

But just wanted to clarify that GoFundMe is for whatever people want. The 2 guys who started it actually started it to pay for a vacation - not some charitable cause.

You may personally feel like people shouldn't use it for non-necessities, but it's not true that it's "not what it's for" - just because you disagree, technically the guys who created the site disagree with you. Since it's their site, I will defer to their determination of what it's "for".

If you don't want to pay for someone's vacation, or cheerleading, or whatever, then don't. But you can't just declare what the site is for based on your personal situation.

@UCFKnights07 I'm sorry that it's not OK - I genuinely think I'd rather contribute towards someone getting a fabulous once-in-a-lifetime vacation than getting them a toaster oven (that they probably either already own, or don't want) ... But I guess I'm just tacky like that. Hopefully you'll just get some cash!

The GRE makes me want to beat my head against a brick wall. Math isn't my strongest suit and I haven't taken a math class in three years so that doesn't help either. My testing book says that the graphs are not drawn to scale so you should not estimate based on how the graph looks. But then a problem I just did used numbers they estimated off of the graph. I never would have gotten the same numbers they did had I not looked at the answers because I was stuck. It's so frustrating because the problems don't appear to be difficult and I'm still struggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back