OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Does anybody have any advice on starting to train for a marathon? Would it be better to do a half first? I've done 5 and 10ks, but never a half or full marathon. The race isn't till mid October if I decide to do it. I'm at my parents and run about 3 miles a day (it's too hot/humid here for me to do more haha), but when I'm at school I usually run 4-6 miles a day.

@luv2cheer92 has run a marathon!

I have no idea why I just watched 'Once I Was a Beehive' on netflix since I'm not religious... but the lead girl has an uncanny resemblance to former(?) cheerleb cheetah Reagan West if you take away her spray tan. (I think she's an adult now if not feel free to delete her name, admins.) Like I actually watched the credits to see if it was her. Weird. If anyone knows her in real life, tell her she has a twin.

my mom asked me to make pasta salad and taco dip for our picnic tomorrow. I knew about the taco dip and already have what I need to make it. I need a few more things for the pasta salad. I said at 830 that I was going to run to the grocery store and pick it up and make it tonight. It's currently 1120, and I have not gotten off the couch.

guess I'm waking up early to make pasta salad...

So many thoughts:

1. Who tries out for a team not knowing how they're going to pay for it? I feel like before you send a video to try out across the country, you need to have plans for a job or other means of funding your adventure.

2. If you're a minor, whose parents says, "Yes. A GoFundMe sounds like a great idea to pay for a team you tried out for?"

3. GoFundMe is not fundraising. It's begging.

4. What.

Ill agree with this 100% now a days, im sure go fund me was started by people who thought it would be a good outlet for people who actually really needed help (homelessness, medical, deaths, etc) but now its turned into please fund my vacation, my boob job, my sweet sixteen. it can be quite pathetic.

my now husband (just got back from rome two days ago) thought gofundme was a good idea to help with our honeymoon, but i just cringed and took it down after a week. granted looking back i dont see the problem with it now, considering we basically received financial gifts from basically everyone who attended our wedding, so the money basically was used to recoup the cost of our honeymoon and a little extra. So i think my mind has changed slightly now on people who decide to use GoFundMe as an option for a wedding registry (or along with one)

Ill agree with this 100% now a days, im sure go fund me was started by people who thought it would be a good outlet for people who actually really needed help (homelessness, medical, deaths, etc) but now its turned into please fund my vacation, my boob job, my sweet sixteen. it can be quite pathetic.

my now husband (just got back from rome two days ago) thought gofundme was a good idea to help with our honeymoon, but i just cringed and took it down after a week. granted looking back i dont see the problem with it now, considering we basically received financial gifts from basically everyone who attended our wedding, so the money basically was used to recoup the cost of our honeymoon and a little extra. So i think my mind has changed slightly now on people who decide to use GoFundMe as an option for a wedding registry (or along with one)
Here's my .02 - if you decide to use the $ you receive as a wedding gift toward your honeymoon, a house, etc., then that's your choice. When you set up a Go Fund Me you are asking people to pay for something that you (collective you) are choosing to do and therefore should be paying for yourself. If you're ready to get married then you should be ready to assume financial responsibility for your life choices. Btw, I've never seen people give anything but $ as a wedding present but that may just be due to both a cultural and geographical thing.

Here's my .02 - if you decide to use the $ you receive as a wedding gift toward your honeymoon, a house, etc., then that's your choice. When you set up a Go Fund Me you are asking people to pay for something that you (collective you) are choosing to do and therefore should be paying for yourself. If you're ready to get married then you should be ready to assume financial responsibility for your life choices. Btw, I've never seen people give anything but $ as a wedding present but that may just be due to both a cultural and geographical thing.
we recieved both gifts and money, basically anyone who actually attended gave money and anyone who couldnt make it gave a gift off our registry, outside of some close family who gave both. My now husband set up the gofundme back when we first set up our wedding website, i took it down after a week or two. But looking back any of the money we received basically recouped the cost that we ourself spent on our honeymoon (basically we didnt lose any money, because the wedding gift total was basically what we spent while in europe, etc) . So i can see now why its such a popular thing on gofundme is funding honeymoons.

we recieved both gifts and money, basically anyone who actually attended gave money and anyone who couldnt make it gave a gift off our registry, outside of some close family who gave both. My now husband set up the gofundme back when we first set up our wedding website, i took it down after a week or two. But looking back any of the money we received basically recouped the cost that we ourself spent on our honeymoon (basically we didnt lose any money, because the wedding gift total was basically what we spent while in europe, etc) . So i can see now why its such a popular thing on gofundme is funding honeymoons.
But why would one expect people to give both a wedding present and donate to a honeymoon fund? If I donated to a GoFundMe for the honeymoon, that would be the wedding present.

I judge 99% of GoFundMe/Honeymoon registries, etc. Everyone else has paid for their own cheer/wedding/honeymoon/whatever, pay for yours too. None of these things are needs. They are wants. I know hundreds of people who have taken a year off cheer to save up for the next season, scaled down a wedding or vacation, or postponed it to save up. My wedding could have cost me $270 total (officiant and license fee), but I chose to spend more on a big party. I didn't need it to be legally married though.

Anyway, with the rates they take, why would you want to lose some of the money you could get from just receiving a cheque. Everyone knows that cash is a great gift, so why take $93 when you could have the full $100?? The only ones I don't side-eye are the one set up for the freak accident victim who has now lost both parents and people have tarted something to pay for medical/schooling bills.

ETA - That reminds me, I just got tickets to one of the final Tragically Hip concerts. Anyone want to pay for my tickets for me please?? ;)

But why would one expect people to give both a wedding present and donate to a honeymoon fund? If I donated to a GoFundMe for the honeymoon, that would be the wedding present.
i definitely dont expect people to give both, the only people at my wedding who gave both were a few relatives.

I judge 99% of GoFundMe/Honeymoon registries, etc. Everyone else has paid for their own cheer/wedding/honeymoon/whatever, pay for yours too. None of these things are needs. They are wants. I know hundreds of people who have taken a year off cheer to save up for the next season, scaled down a wedding or vacation, or postponed it to save up. My wedding could have cost me $270 total (officiant and license fee), but I chose to spend more on a big party. I didn't need it to be legally married though.

Anyway, with the rates they take, why would you want to lose some of the money you could get from just receiving a cheque. Everyone knows that cash is a great gift, so why take $93 when you could have the full $100?? The only ones I don't side-eye are the one set up for the freak accident victim who has now lost both parents and people have tarted something to pay for medical/schooling bills.

ETA - That reminds me, I just got tickets to one of the final Tragically Hip concerts. Anyone want to pay for my tickets for me please?? ;)

My opinion is that you should never set up a GoFundMe for yourself. There's just something really blah about asking for money for yourself like that (and I, too, hate honeymoon registries - and I ALWAYS give cash as a wedding gift).

Now if you get in an accident or have a medical emergency or and someone sets up a go fund me on your behalf, then that's fine. But odds are, no one is going to set up a GoFundMe on your behalf for cheer.

The issue with these cash registries (and I've read basically every wedding etiquette book there is) is that no one needs to be told that cash is an acceptable gift. I don't know what color towels you want for your bathroom (nor can I afford to buy the whole set) nor do I know which type of kitchen appliances you need. But cash is universal. There's no problem GIVING it, the issue is ASKING for it.

If you prefer cash as a wedding gift - just don't register, people will get the hint (or they don't want to give cash, in which case they're probably not going to donate anyway). I had a traditional registry and almost entirely received cash at the wedding. A few bought off the registry for the wedding, but mostly it was used for my shower.

Last edited:
My opinion is that you should never set up a GoFundMe for yourself. There's just something really blah about asking for money for yourself like that (and I, too, hate honeymoon registries - and I ALWAYS give cash as a wedding gift).

Now if you get in an accident or have a medical emergency or and someone sets up a go fund me on your behalf, then that's fine. But odds are, no one is going to set up a GoFundMe on your behalf for cheer.

The issue with these cash registries (and I've read basically every wedding etiquette book there is) is that no one needs to be told that cash is an acceptable gift. I don't know what color towels you want for your bathroom (nor can I afford to buy the whole set) nor do I know which type of kitchen appliances you need. But cash is universal. There's no problem GIVING it, the issue is ASKING for it.

If you prefer cash as a wedding gift - just don't register, people will get the hint (or they don't want to give cash, in which case they're probably not going to donate anyway). I had a traditional registry and almost entirely received cash at the wedding. A few bought off the registry for the wedding, but mostly it was used for my shower.

do you put wedding shower gifts on the registry....?

granted i did not have a bridal shower, didnt see the need for one since i was having a small wedding compared to most.
i also didnt have an extravagant bachelorette party though either like most people do these days. (my sister and her husband and his older siblings forced me to go out and get drunk two days before) Uber officially hates me because of that night now too. LOL.

Back