OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I guess we are lucky, school lunches were great when I was in school and looking at the past year's menus for where CP is starting kindergarten, they are still great. We do live in a school district that had been able to avoid some of the massive budget cuts other area schools have had to make (Oklahoma education is in a horrible state right now) but they have things listed like French toast sticks, pizza, chicken nuggets, etc.

They have recently changed to a setup also where kids pick from a chef salad or two different hot options and fresh fruits and veggies to pick from. After reading this I'm glad we live where we do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sorry for the double post, but are disk drives in laptops necessary nowadays?

(14 turning 15, will mostly be used for school purposes)

Eta-Thanks @emo_wifey for posting so I didn't double post ;)

My daughter also still gets all the good food in her cafeteria! She loves eating at school, she said just about everyone eats both breakfast and lunch from the school. Our whole school district gets free breakfast and lunch so that probably plays a part in very few bringing lunch from home.

Ps, she says on days they eat Mexican food it's amazing because these cafeteria workers are all very good cooks and know how to make great Mexican food! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The school lunch thing varies greatly state to state and even county by county. I attended elementary school during mid-late 90s and the lunches were terrible. My sister attended the exact same school during the Obama administration and lunches were better. It probably depends on what you were coming from before. Our school was one of the only high performing schools in a poor, inner city district but we still all had the same lunch system. Food was cooked at a centralized kitchen in the middle of the district and shipped out (and warmed up) at the individual schools to be served. For schools like ours, there was a definite improvement. If you're coming from somewhere that cooked fresh in house daily with tons of options, then yes you probably did see a decline.

It depends in whether the school is getting money from sources outside the federal lunch program. It's designed to be self sustaining, meaning school systems shouldn't have to subsidize, but school systems with the money subsidize to get edible food. Some can't or don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thing is, we have a LOT more students who wouldn't eat at all if not for the free lunch provided by the school. For some of my students, the free breakfast and lunch at school is all they get some days. They can't just bring a lunch from home because there is no food at home. My personal child takes a healthy lunch to school every day, but many, many kids in the US aren't lucky enough to be able to do that so school lunches need to actually provide for their nutritional needs. That isn't happening right now, due to these new rules. We as teachers have even considered spending our own money to set up a food closet for hungry kids, but have found that we can be fired for feeding them outside the cafeteria, because of the new rules.

Eta: pretty much nothing on your list is allowable in the US for lunch at a public school, except maybe a wrap with a whole wheat tortilla or a salad, but those are even dicey because dressing has either too much fat, or too much sugar in a low or no fat variety.

This is real life. I have 2 kids, and each went to a different district for high school. The one who went to the lower income community where school meals were subsidized went from a decent lunch program to an absolutely disgusting one which is wasting millions once Michelle Obama's plan was implemented. The servings are small, but it didn't matter because most of it was inedible. Kids who couldn't bring food from home (because there isn't any to bring) were starving - many were athletes who practiced for 2+ hours right after school. I can't tell you how many times I brought those kids sandwiches after school. However, my other child goes to the school district in the town we live in and has a much better lunch program - but I pay almost $4 per meal. I don't mind paying, but it pisses me off that the kids who can't pay are starving. Maybe they weren't eating "healthy" before (honestly the food was not unhealthy), but at least they were eating. I absolutely despise what that woman did with the lunch program and I see the affects of it first hand.

Last year my nieces school district started serving lunch and breakfast free to all students regardless of income. That was the decline of school lunches for that school district. Increased costs I'm assuming drove down quality

My mom went and ate lunch with my niece every day and documented the food

149b432c1e1e36d347f5d1160bb6580a.jpg
309fd0f6c2e5405e98d6997a2800387b.jpg
06b740d6b1f4f9215173ceaba529299f.jpg
ba4a4b816ce5d9f73fb8447ba33f7718.jpg

My mom then (this was her first year of retirement so she had ample time and opportunity ) invited the superintendent to eat lunch with her at any school in the district.

He did.

He agreed that the lunches were trash.

Changes were made although my mom said to me "they weren't necessarily good changes". Advocate for your child. End of story.

Either way my niece continued to bring lunch from home the rest of the school year, however this was the only school year where she felt she had to do it. But I also worked with "poor" kids at the "poor" schools in the same district that loved the changes (btw this is the same school district @cheerKT referred to )

But I've seen the improvements in the USDA free summer lunch meals. The kids love them

This school year I will be working at a middle school in the same school district, so I will reserve all judgment on school lunches until then. Personally I don't know what I'll do about lunch this year. I didn't eat school lunch as a kid and I'm not about to start as an adult.

Last edited:
It is amazing for me to read this. I'm from Canada, and school lunches have never been a big deal (my area at least?). In elementary school, we all brought our own lunches everyday. Once a month a had a pizza lunch. In grades 7/8 they started implementing a weekly warm bought lunch. You didnt have to do it. Each week we would get an order form of the next week's option, give it back to our teacher with money, and the next week these 2 ladies would deliver the meals made fresh. But again, we were paying for this.

In highschool we had a caf, some bought there, most didnt. I never once bought a full lunch from the caf. We also had vending machine. But once Ontario implemented a healthy eating thing for schools. All candy was taken out and replaced with fruit snacks/granola bars. The school did provide free oatmeal breakfast. Few participated in that.

Again- I ALWAYS brought my lunch, as did most people. It so strange to me to hear that people eat school food every single day.

Last year my nieces school district started serving lunch and breakfast free to all students regardless of income. That was the decline of school lunches for that school district. Increased costs I'm assuming drove down quality

My mom went and ate lunch with my niece every day and documented the food

149b432c1e1e36d347f5d1160bb6580a.jpg
309fd0f6c2e5405e98d6997a2800387b.jpg
06b740d6b1f4f9215173ceaba529299f.jpg
ba4a4b816ce5d9f73fb8447ba33f7718.jpg

My mom then (this was her first year of retirement so she had ample time and opportunity ) invited the superintendent to eat lunch with her at any school in the district.

He did.

He agreed that the lunches were trash.

Changes were made although my mom said to me "they weren't necessarily good changes". Advocate for your child. End of story.

Either way my niece continued to bring lunch from home the rest of the school year, however this was the only school year where she felt she had to do it. But I also worked with "poor" kids at the "poor" schools in the same district that loved the changes (btw this is the same school district @cheerKT referred to )

But I've seen the improvements in the USDA free summer lunch meals. The kids love them

This school year I will be working at a middle school in the same school district, so I will reserve all judgment on school lunches until then. Personally I don't know what I'll do about lunch this year. I didn't eat school lunch as a kid and I'm not about to start as an adult.

I was going to ask if this was the same district. I brought my lunch all through school but I could see it start to improve in high school.

I was going to ask if this was the same district. I brought my lunch all through school but I could see it start to improve in high school.

Satchel Ford

In elementary school I ate in the teachers cafeteria with my mom (rcsd2) and at Crayton and Flora I didn't eat or bought pizza. I don't think I ever went into Flora's cafeteria to see their lunch

Satchel Ford

In elementary school I ate in the teachers cafeteria with my mom (rcsd2) and at Crayton and Flora I didn't eat or bought pizza. I don't think I ever went into Flora's cafeteria to see their lunch

Same elementary school here. I walked into Flora's cafeteria maybe twice. Once for a fall sports banquet (back when the auditorium was too small to fit us all) and once to purchase a slushy that tasted like cigarettes that I immediately threw out.

I ate by the Falcon obviously because that's where the cool kids were.

Satchel Ford

Our teachers get the same food as the kids. If you take federal funds, it's no longer legal to feed teachers differently.

Same elementary school here. I walked into Flora's cafeteria maybe twice. Once for a fall sports banquet (back when the auditorium was too small to fit us all) and once to purchase a slushy that tasted like cigarettes that I immediately threw out.

I ate by the Falcon obviously because that's where the cool kids were.

Two of my friends from hs and I went on a road trip and we literally gagged reminiscing about the hierarchy of eating at the fountain and the proximity. Hindsight is 20/20 but if I could redo high school, I'd for sure not give a single solitary F about where you could sit at the falcon

And yeah I remember at least one sports banquet being in the cafeteria and I also remember going in during football camp and the odor was traumatic. Like the locker room smell on steroids.

The reality is Flora's cafeteria was never (re)built to accommodate the student population at lunch time. They would have to have at least 3 lunch periods.....which would never fly because lol it's Flora #privilege

Our teachers get the same food as the kids. If you take federal funds, it's no longer legal to feed teachers differently.

I'm aware. At the end of my moms career she went to the separate but equal salad bar the kids had. And like I said...working at a middle school this year I don't know how I'd cope with the $3.25 school lunch I can buy

But I'm 30 and this was in the early to mid 90s

Back