OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I usually took between 15 and 18 hours each semester. I also worked full time and raised 2 kids during that time.

Is it possible? Yes. Would I recommend it? Meh, maybe.

How many hours a week would you be working your work study job? And how many for the 2nd job?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

In the past when I got to make my own schedule it was around 10-15 hours a week and I have no clue for the second job since I haven't started looking yet.

How have your grades been previous semesters? How difficult is your course load? Are you working the second job because you need the money or are you working it just to have the money?

They haven't been the greatest but I also haven't put a ton of effort in either. This semester I have the class that basically determines if I graduate in the spring or not, but I also have two classes that shouldn't be too bad. And if I'm a building manager it would just be for the extra money. But if I'm not it would be because I need the money. When I was a normal student events worker my sophomore year, one paycheck for a month was less than 100 dollars because the hours arent consistent and if you finish early then you're done. As a building manager, your shifts are always the full length they're scheduled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only negative comment I saw was about the lack of diversity. Apart from that, it seemed kind of tame.

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them.
people clearly dont watch enough of these sorority videos, to think thats the only one without diversity. they also commented on how it sexualized women cause they danced around in bikinis on a boat dock :rolleyes: i can think of quite a few that showed the same thing.

i do not get the uproar of this university of alabama sorority video. im posting it cause i really dont get why its such a big deal, compared to every other over done sorority video on the internet.
Alabama Alpha Phi 2015 - YouTube

Having this discussion now. I am kinda offended by the video in context. By itself it is fine. But what about it is offensive? What could be added to make it less offensive? I have no idea.

i do not get the uproar of this university of alabama sorority video. im posting it cause i really dont get why its such a big deal, compared to every other over done sorority video on the internet.
Alabama Alpha Phi 2015 - YouTube
I think I'm with you. I did notice lack of diversity but beyond that I don't watch sorority videos to have comparison to.

**Sometimes I day dream Cheer Son is almost as good as Susie and then reality sets in**

The only negative comment I saw was about the lack of diversity. Apart from that, it seemed kind of tame.

Welp. There can't be diversity when there is none. I personally think they did an excellent job feeding into the sorority life stereotype. It is what it is. I would have never seen it and been offended.

Every fall semester for at least the last two years there's an uproar (last year the no nig*ers/ninjas snapchat and the year prior the black girls getting dropped) about the lack of diversity and racism in Greek life at Alabama (and in general), so unless something else happens, this has to be the thing that gets everyone upset this year.

I personally want that blessed one piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having this discussion now. I am kinda offended by the video in context. By itself it is fine. But what about it is offensive? What could be added to make it less offensive? I have no idea.

offense is taken, not given.

I didn't see anything "wrong" with it either. They look like they're close friends who have a lot of fun together. Also sometimes they blow glitter around. Is that...bad? It looks exactly like the recruiting videos at other schools--except filmed with a drone and a ridiculously high production quality.

I don't find it offensive at all. I've seen a university of Miami one with girls prancing around in bikinis on a yacht, but yet strutting around on a lake dock seems to be wrong....

True. But I guess a lot of people forgot about that.

I'm still trying to figure out Greek life, since frats and sororities have been banned at my school since the 70s.

We never had it at my school, but we all kind of split off in to our own little clubs (Campus Ministry exec, Student Congress, Newspaper, Board of Programmers, etc.) that essentially functioned like Greek life would. I kinda wish I had the chance to join a sorority (the connections and networking with people around the country would have been nice), but my social life certainly didn't suffer because I wasn't in one.

I didn't see anything "wrong" with it either. They look like they're close friends who have a lot of fun together. Also sometimes they blow glitter around. Is that...bad? It looks exactly like the recruiting videos at other schools--except filmed with a drone and a ridiculously high production quality.

The video itself I think is fine. I guess the question is: what is a sorority? I thought a sorority is supposed to be a philanthropic 'club' that that helps build stronger individuals through service and helping through grades that also does social events. this seems to only pride itself on the social aspect. Is that why University of Alabama said it wasn't in good taste?

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, per se. This one just happened to get written about by someone at Alabama and got picked up from there.

It does nothing but perpetuate the sorority stereotype, IMO. I look at it and go, yep, that looks like a pretty (white) girl club, a cool girl clique. I shrug my shoulders and move on, but considering how much energy people in the Greek system spend arguing that fraternities/sororities are really about philanthropy and whatever else they argue, it strikes me as strange that they would make a recruitment video that doesn't even hint at philanthropy.

Now, I think if they were making a video geared at people outside the system, they would focus more on the philanthrop and academics, but since they're just trying to recruit more pretty girls people for their club, it doesn't surprise me that they didn't.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, per se. This one just happened to get written about by someone at Alabama and got picked up from there.

It does nothing but perpetuate the sorority stereotype, IMO. I look at it and go, yep, that looks like a pretty (white) girl club, a cool girl clique. I shrug my shoulders and move on, but considering how much energy people in the Greek system spend arguing that fraternities/sororities are really about philanthropy and whatever else they argue, it strikes me as strange that they would make a recruitment video that doesn't even hint at philanthropy.

Now, I think if they were making a video geared at people outside the system, they would focus more on the philanthrop and academics, but since they're just trying to recruit more pretty girls people for their club, it doesn't surprise me that they didn't.

I mean I legitimately have no idea how any of this works (PC doesn't have Greek life so I never went through recruitment), but this recruitment video seemed...standard, I guess, compared to others I've seen.

I just don't understand why this is a national story. It's not even a slow news week.

Back