All-Star Proactive Or Reactive With School Missed For Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Seriously? How did that even work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A big classroom and two teachers! We used a block schedule so you had different classes each day, but your English/social studies were blocked together and you went every day. You had two teachers and like 80 kids in the class, and your English and social studies curriculum wasn't separated, they were kind of merged together. I have to say the English side kind of suffered more because we spent a lot of time on social studies IMO.
My senior year I had a class that size with two teachers but you only went every other day, it was just social studies no English.

A big classroom and two teachers! We used a block schedule so you had different classes each day, but your English/social studies were blocked together and you went every day. You had two teachers and like 80 kids in the class, and your English and social studies curriculum wasn't separated, they were kind of merged together. I have to say the English side kind of suffered more because we spent a lot of time on social studies IMO.
My senior year I had a class that size with two teachers but you only went every other day, it was just social studies no English.

That's so odd. My high school was big but the biggest class I ever had was PE and that probably had 50-60. My other class had around 40 at the most but usually had closer to 30. However for college, I go to a very small school and in my upper division classes, I've had as few as 9 kids in my class. I know that psych focused pharmacology had 2 in it one year because it's a difficult elective with a tough professor. We usually have 20-40 in a class but my largest class was between 60-80 here.

I checked, and my district has no restrictions on how many days you miss overall, you just can't have too many consecutive tardies/absences. I couldn't imagine getting your credits revoked or any punishment for missing school for legit reasons. If you're doing well in school there should be know issue.

It's a shame the bigger competitions are a mandatory plane ride away for some/ the cheer season is during the school year. Some of my friends on travel sports teams are gone every weekend and usually left school early on Fridays, and drove to their east coast location. The tournaments that were further away are in the summer.

This thread still has me scratching my head at how missing school seems like such a casual nonchalant issue.

Why wouldn't it be, though?

That's so odd. My high school was big but the biggest class I ever had was PE and that probably had 50-60. My other class had around 40 at the most but usually had closer to 30. However for college, I go to a very small school and in my upper division classes, I've had as few as 9 kids in my class. I know that psych focused pharmacology had 2 in it one year because it's a difficult elective with a tough professor. We usually have 20-40 in a class but my largest class was between 60-80 here.

Our district has a cap on class sizes; right now, in elementary school the cap is 18, high school I think goes to 24.

My high school had no limit on excused absences--but penalties for unexcused were pretty steep IIRC.

On Mondays during senior year (2013) I had one class (French, which despite years of instruction I still can't speak) and I was thisclose to just skipping it and going to Boston on Marathon Monday. Decently glad my my inner conscience felt too guilty to skip.

Why wouldn't it be, though?

Our district has a cap on class sizes; right now, in elementary school the cap is 18, high school I think goes to 24.
Elementary is 18??? I never had that small of a class in elementary school. They were always 20-25. My 5th grade class was 30 kids but fifth grade was seriously overcrowded that year and it wasn't the norm. My mom worked at a private school (that cost $14K a year -_-) who's main selling point was small classes and their classes were about 14-15 students when she got there but I think went up to 18 before they hired more teachers to reduce them again. So 18 as the max in a public school is crazy to me!
A typical class in my high school had 20-30, of course there were the block classes I talked about earlier but typical classes were around 25ish.
This is why I don't know how anyone who grew up here can go to tiny colleges...

Elementary is 18??? I never had that small of a class in elementary school. They were always 20-25. My 5th grade class was 30 kids but fifth grade was seriously overcrowded that year and it wasn't the norm. My mom worked at a private school (that cost $14K a year -_-) who's main selling point was small classes and their classes were about 14-15 students when she got there but I think went up to 18 before they hired more teachers to reduce them again. So 18 as the max in a public school is crazy to me!
A typical class in my high school had 20-30, of course there were the block classes I talked about earlier but typical classes were around 25ish.

All of my classes throughout school were 30 kids max and I'd say about 99% of my classes had 30 kids because our schools were overcrowded. I love small class sizes and I don't think I could learn in a normal college sized class.

Yeah, I was actually surprised because the girl's are now going in the same district I went to school and I don't remember classes being this small---21/22 used to be the norm. However, when we transferred in we got told that our pick of teacher for CP would be nill because only one teacher had space (we ended up loving her so it was a moot point) but the district is fined $1,000 a day when the class size is over 18 or something along those lines. For what it's worth, we have 22 elementary schools in our county and in CP's school alone they had 7 Kindergarten teacher's. Our school is now closed to out of district, but it's one of the top in the county and where our house is, is highly sought after for this school.

Yeah, I was actually surprised because the girl's are now going in the same district I went to school and I don't remember classes being this small---21/22 used to be the norm. However, when we transferred in we got told that our pick of teacher for CP would be nill because only one teacher had space (we ended up loving her so it was a moot point) but the district is fined $1,000 a day when the class size is over 18 or something along those lines. For what it's worth, we have 22 elementary schools in our county and in CP's school alone they had 7 Kindergarten teacher's. Our school is now closed to out of district, but it's one of the top in the county and where our house is, is highly sought after for this school.
We have 20 elementary schools and another is being built. Our elementary schools are constantly being built and subsequently becoming overcrowded, it's insane. I was in 5th grade seven years ago, so the school is even more overcrowded now as they haven't built another school on this end of town since (one is in progress). We used trailers for some 4th grade classes and science class when I was there... I assume they only use more now? Honestly I'm not sure how they're managing considering the population has shifted in recent years toward my school's "zone" (hence why a new elementary school is needed)

We have 20 elementary schools and another is being built. Our elementary schools are constantly being built and subsequently becoming overcrowded, it's insane. I was in 5th grade seven years ago, so the school is even more overcrowded now as they haven't built another school on this end of town since (one is in progress). We used trailers for some 4th grade classes and science class when I was there... I assume they only use more now? Honestly I'm not sure how they're managing considering the population has shifted in recent years toward my school's "zone" (hence why a new elementary school is needed)

That sounds like our area, we also have an additional high school since I left; what I don't understand is how we've managed to avoid building anymore middle schools. We literally have none that are new, but charter schools have recently taken off here so maybe that is why. As far as I know, very few schools in our district use portables---if any at all, I'm almost positive they've all been phased out.

They are re-vamping an area of my town not far from us and my guess is we'll get a new elementary, middle, and high school out of it---I'm not overly thrilled with the middle school we're zoned too and I don't expect non-CP to attend our zoned HS. Each of our HS's have specialities and some are magnet schools---if CP stays into the arts I'll let her go to our zoned high school, but non-CP is a completely different case and will require a Bachelorette type program which is across town.

So this is going to sound really bad but part of the reason we decided to homeschool was because of cheer. My daughter was bullied so much because of cheer that she would make herself sick and have to miss school or would make her self sick once she got to school so they would send her home and then she would not only get that day off but another day because of the school's policies.

Homeschooling has honestly been the best thing for our family.

So this is going to sound really bad but part of the reason we decided to homeschool was because of cheer. My daughter was bullied so much because of cheer that she would make herself sick and have to miss school or would make her self sick once she got to school so they would send her home and then she would not only get that day off but another day because of the school's policies.

Homeschooling has honestly been the best thing for our family.

I just don't understand why others would bully a child over a sport. Sigh. Glad homeschooling has become a solid option for your family.

I just don't understand why others would bully a child over a sport. Sigh. Glad homeschooling has become a solid option for your family.

We live in a poor area and she went to a poor school where extra activities are not the norm. I think it was mostly jealously.

We live in a poor area and she went to a poor school where extra activities are not the norm. I think it was mostly jealously.

That does make sense, sadly. I'm glad you were able to find a better avenue for her education.

Back