All-Star Proactive Or Reactive With School Missed For Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So this is going to sound really bad but part of the reason we decided to homeschool was because of cheer. My daughter was bullied so much because of cheer that she would make herself sick and have to miss school or would make her self sick once she got to school so they would send her home and then she would not only get that day off but another day because of the school's policies.

Homeschooling has honestly been the best thing for our family.
It doesn't sound bad to me. It sounds like you found a great solution to take your cp out of a horrible situation. I'm glad homeschooling is working for you;it was great for us too.

A school administrator once explained to me that school attendance is tied to funding (not sure if state or federal, but it's some form of significant funding) just like performance on standardized test scores - at least in my area this is true.

Basically, a school that has kids missing a lot of days will not get as much money as one where kids come to school. That's why schools in my area are so serious about attendance - people missing a lot can affect everyone.

This thread still has me scratching my head at how missing school seems like such a casual nonchalant issue.

I agree, but maybe it's regional? - sounds like a lot of these parents feel that missing many days of school does not impact their child's grades and not much is missed educationally. That's not the case in my area - the schools in my area actually teach stuff and my kids do miss things when they aren't there - and sometimes it is important to have material taught to you instead of reading it in a book - for ex., math and science. I do not like my children to miss school - I think their good attendance is a reason they do so well both grade-wise and on standardized tests, and I think good attendance in school instills a lifelong habit of good attendance for many things - like at work when they are older for instance. Cheer is a fun extracurricular activity and there are many positives about doing it, but school should be more important IMO - you can only cheer for so long, and you really can not make a living off of it (except in very, very rare cases), but your education is forever.

A school administrator once explained to me that school attendance is tied to funding (not sure if state or federal, but it's some form of significant funding) just like performance on standardized test scores - at least in my area this is true.

Basically, a school that has kids missing a lot of days will not get as much money as one where kids come to school. That's why schools in my area are so serious about attendance - people missing a lot can affect everyone.

I agree, but maybe it's regional? - sounds like a lot of these parents feel that missing many days of school does not impact their child's grades and not much is missed educationally. That's not the case in my area - the schools in my area actually teach stuff and my kids do miss things when they aren't there - and sometimes it is important to have material taught to you instead of reading it in a book - for ex., math and science. I do not like my children to miss school - I think their good attendance is a reason they do so well both grade-wise and on standardized tests, and I think good attendance in school instills a lifelong habit of good attendance for many things - like at work when they are older for instance. Cheer is a fun extracurricular activity and there are many positives about doing it, but school should be more important IMO - you can only cheer for so long, and you really can not make a living off of it (except in very, very rare cases), but your education is forever.
My school takes attendance seriously the first few weeks of school, to make sure they'e counting every single kid there. My world history teacher tried to calculate how much we were all worth to the school district, but I can't remember exactly (i believe 7,000 ish?) We also have a new test, the Smarter Balanced Test, and you can choose to opt out (its ridiculously easy, no reason to opt out). But the district gets paid for every kid that takes it, so we were all given a lecture in every class about why we shouldn't opt out.

I agree with everything you said here!!! Especially this "Cheer is a fun extracurricular activity and there are many positives about doing it, but school should be more important IMO - you can only cheer for so long, and you really can not make a living off of it (except in very, very rare cases), but your education is forever."

My cp makes honor roll and excellent attendance every year she's been in cheer. Missing school is not necessary in my opinion for her to have a great and memorable experience. I stand firm in my opinion that missing school for this or any sport is absolutely ridiculous. Again it's MY OPINION.

There's no problem with homeschooling! It's definitely the right choice for some. For me, unfortunately it was not. I went to an online high school my freshman year and hated everything about it. I think would have done better if I had a parent instructing me but they both worked full time and it was pretty much on my own. A lot of responsibility for a 14 year old and not a fun experience. I met a lot of people who loved it, though!

I know in our area they lose money on lunches---we're not on any sort of free or reduced lunch, but I brought non-CP in after a dr.'s appointment and even though I told them that I had fed hr lunch, they still made her go back and eat later so she'd be counter. She also received extra funding because she's under special education so when she misses, I know they lose money. However, one of her dance comps is on a Friday and missing will be unavoidable. We might be able to pull off a half day, but the last thing I want is her over-stimulated before having her perform at UDA at Disney. That's not a concern for CP thankfully or we'd max out our allowed absences very quickly.

My high school had no limit on excused absences--but penalties for unexcused were pretty steep IIRC.

On Mondays during senior year (2013) I had one class (French, which despite years of instruction I still can't speak) and I was thisclose to just skipping it and going to Boston on Marathon Monday. Decently glad my my inner conscience felt too guilty to skip.

I grew up North of Boston and went to college in the city. I have spent many a marathon and NYE standing in front of the Starbucks for the parades and events. It was my favorite spot (food and bathrooms!). I almost pulled cp that weekend to go up to visit my dad and to let her experiance her first marathon. Only 10 minutes before the bombing happened, I was lamenting on Facebook that I did not go thru with my plans and was stuck in NJ watching it.

There is no doubt that we would hae been standing there, in the midst of it, if we had gone.

I still can't believe that it happened.

I grew up North of Boston and went to college in the city. I have spent many a marathon and NYE standing in front of the Starbucks for the parades and events. It was my favorite spot (food and bathrooms!). I almost pulled cp that weekend to go up to visit my dad and to let her experiance her first marathon. Only 10 minutes before the bombing happened, I was lamenting on Facebook that I did not go thru with my plans and was stuck in NJ watching it.

There is no doubt that we would hae been standing there, in the midst of it, if we had gone.

Such a sad event. So glad you didnt go through with it!!!

In college, all of my professors take attendance. If you miss more than the allowed days per class you're dropped from the class/fail the class without any notice to you. This hasn't happened to me, but I've seen it happen to kids in my classes. Our universities policy is four misses per MWF class and three per Tuesday/Thursday class but classes are allowed to set stricter attendance policies. Most of my classes had a two miss (penalty free) policy or a zero excused absence policy. For the zero excused, you were deducted 10 participation points per time you missed and if you missed more than 4 you failed. I missed three total classes this past semester. Two for an allergic reaction, and one because my car wouldn't start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a professor that "took attendance" by calling out students and asking them questions based off the assigned readings we had. If you were there, but didn't know the answer to the question she asked, she claimed you "weren't prepared for class", and would consider you absent for the day. Each missed day was points taken off your final grade.

That's nuts! Glad you're okay.

I am probably in the minority on this - but I missed a TON of classes. I went to a very large school and pretty much only attended classes if they were mandatory (aka attendance was taken). In highschool I also missed a ton of days (I couldn't even tell you how many). I graduated highschool with a 4.2 GPA, graduated college in three years and completed my MBA in one year. Everyone learns differently, I don't learn from lectures AT ALL (unless it is math). I have always been a book learner (aka read the chapter create an outline and go to town). Although I obviously found school extremely important, I knew how I learned and went from there. If you can keep up your GPA and can learn the needed material for your class why should you have to go? Just seems silly to me, but then again I know I am in the minority.

Last edited:
In my experience it pays to be proactive and let them know in advance. Getting advance work is hit or miss, but cp can make it up when she gets back if it isn't ready before leaving. Our school has principals discretion. The principal is really good about excusing absenses for things of this nature as long as it is submitted in advance.

I am probably in the minority on this - but I missed a TON of classes. I went to a very large school and pretty much only attended classes if they were mandatory (aka attendance was taken). In highschool I also missed a ton of days (I couldn't even tell you how many). I graduated highschool with a 4.2 GPA, graduated college in three years and completed my MBA in one year. Everyone learns differently, I don't learn from lectures AT ALL (unless it is math). I have always been a book learner (aka read the chapter create an outline and go to town). Although I obviously found school extremely important, I knew how I learned and went from there. If you can keep up your GPA and can learn the needed material for your class why should you have to go? Just seems silly to me, but then again I know I am in the minority.

Most of my tests are 40% lecture and 60% book (or the other way around depending on the class) so nobody I go to school with would be able to get away with that. Our professors don't teach to the test, and they always tell us that you can't come into a test without doing the expected reading outside of class and expect to do well. And I've found it to be pretty accurate. Most of my classes are a combination of lecture/discussion and I honestly really enjoy going to them, but I also enjoy talking in class. Probably because I love my majors haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back