All-Star Right Hand Right Foot Left Hand Left Foot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm right handed. I tumbled left. I spot tumbling left. Occasionally I eat left ...sometimes I write left but for all practical purposes I am right handed.

My sister is right handed and tumbles right.
My niece is right handed and tumbles left.

I have seen not much rhyme and rhythm to this. I am right handed, tumble left, twist left. My older daughter is and tumbles left, twists left. My younger daughter is a lefty, tumbles left, twists left. So go figure hahaha. All I know is that you (as a coach) should never tell a kid which way to tumble or twist. People will do what is comfortable to them.

The way we would check new gymnasts to see if they tumble left or right is to have them stand with their feet together and eyes closed. We would then stand behind them and give them a "little shove" and see which foot they stepped forward with-and that's the leg they hurdle with!

The way we would check new gymnasts to see if they tumble left or right is to have them stand with their feet together and eyes closed. We would then stand behind them and give them a "little shove" and see which foot they stepped forward with-and that's the leg they hurdle with!

that's not only how i learned which way i tumbled, but how i figured out which way to tell people they should try first.

I do everything right. write, tumble, twist, arabian. all of it. but when I was in gymnastics most of the girls I knew were right handed but tumbled left. I thought I was the abnormal one then.

I am Right handed, tumble left. I have had discussions with many people that a right kart wheel is a left twist and visa versa (think first half) anyway, for cheerleading tumbling it doesn't necessarily matter, when your doing certain gymnastics skills it does, so I guess it all depends on what background your tumbling coach has. For sync as far as routine look, I don't think it matters. The reason I might sync a right and left person would be if they both travel, to avoid hitting others, other than that I don't think it matters at all.

I am naturally left handed. Same as Ms Bee I was "encouraged" to write right handed by mom and teachers. :D Became ambidextrous in writing, throwing, hitting baseballs but remained southpaw for boxing. In baseball left was my power side and right was my just get on base side. I could also throw a baseball or football right or left.

In tumbling I did everything to the right but could tumble to left decently when just goofing off. I eventually twisted to the right but it was not easy to learn - it felt easier to twist left. Would have probably learned a full much faster if I did twist left. My gymnastic coaches gave me no option.:) Arabians and front fulls were also all to the right.

I am right handed but I tumble left. I also wake board, surf & do anything that requires balance better with my left foot. My tumbling coach called it "goofy footed" when people tumble the opposite hand that they right.

Now that I coach, I have noticed kids on my team that do the same thing. I don't notice any difference in their skill progression. The only thing I do differently is during cross tumbling, I take it into consideration where I place them. meaning which side of the mat they come from. I don't like to have them facing the back during tumble passes, so I just have them come in from the other side=)

I am Right handed, tumble left. I have had discussions with many people that a right kart wheel is a left twist and visa versa (think first half).

Yes! And this is why I always have kids try both directions when learning to twist! Many people assume that because you hurdle left that you'll twist left, but that's not always the case because a left hurdle is actually a right 1/4 twist. I came to that realization on my own when I was 11 and learning to twist. I was having a hard time twisting left, then I realized that I twist right in a hurdle, so I decided to give that a try.....didn't work out for me at all (i'm a true lefty twister) but I have had it work out for some kids I coach.

I am right handed but I tumble left. I also wake board, surf & do anything that requires balance better with my left foot. My tumbling coach called it "goofy footed" when people tumble the opposite hand that they right.

Now that I coach, I have noticed kids on my team that do the same thing. I don't notice any difference in their skill progression. The only thing I do differently is during cross tumbling, I take it into consideration where I place them. meaning which side of the mat they come from. I don't like to have them facing the back during tumble passes, so I just have them come in from the other side=)
OH and I can NOT do a right handed cartwheel to save my life!

Wow thanks everyone! There is alot more right hand people who tumble left! It just must be a coincidence that she is like the main one on her team who does!
Now we haven't got to twisting skills yet so guess we will see what happens with that!

Back