All-Star Rudeness At Awards!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nothing botehrs me more as a parent when sitting at awards and the second place team gets called and then at that point first palce knows they won and they are off their feet and screaming so loud that second place does not even get one sinlge moment to enjoy their place. The worst was at a mini awards ceremony and the second place team was called (out of 9 teams) and not only was the first place team jumping up and down and yelling, so were their parents! Second place could not even make their way to the front to get their trophy because there was so much celebrating going on. I understand they were mini age and maybe their coach has not taught them how to be good sports, but their parents?? It just broke my heart that they were second out of 9 teams and they didnt even get to celebrate, what made it worse was at that age all they really want is a trophy. Sure they like winning but as long as they get a trophy life is good. Caoches/Owners should know that it is a huge display of bad sportsmanship and makes your program look terrible!

When my brother's HS volleyball team went 5 games in the State Championship last year, the moment the winning point was scored the ENTIRE HS section of fans stormed the floor..they had just beat the 3 time State champion and it was their first state win. Thinking back to it reminds me of Worlds..and other HUGE nationals and such..if it was that big for a HS team, I can't imagine competing against a 3 time world champ and winning and not dancing a little. Granted, knowing people, my hip twitch would be tantamount to child abuse :rolleyes:

And youth and under teams? They're 5-11 years old. Elementary school kids-ish..I remember sitting next to my old gym's mini 1 at a comp (Wildcat open I think?) Every time they called a team name for level 1 one of the girls kept asking 'Wait- did we beat them? How 'bout them?' Aahh the wee ones.

There are plenty of teams that are happy with getting second, and would love to celebrate their second place. However, in that moment where second place is announced, not a single athlete on the floor wants their team's name to be called. When it is, it is a disappointment. Anyone who says that they are 100% happy when they are called second is lying. The celebrating for getting second place is done after the athletes are given a chance to process the information.

I really hate when people (especially parents) use this argument and say that the first place team is "stealing their moment", because most of the time I think that it comes from disappointment that it is not their child that is celebrating. Why do we have to be so bitter about other teams celebrating their win? If anything, the second place team should feel flattered that the first place team is that excited to edge them out for first.

Stop criticizing other kids just because your child isn't the one that gets to celebrate.

I heard a great solution while at a conference this weekend. (I think one of the EPs already does this.) When you are down to 2 teams, announce that you would "like to recognize the top 2 teams in the division . . . From XXXX, Suzy All-Stars (pause for applause), and the CP All Stars (pause for applause) . . . . and in the xxxxx division, our champion is _________!"

This way, both teams get their "moment" regardless and the winning team can immediately celebrate without hurting anyone's feelings.

I heard a great solution while at a conference this weekend. (I think one of the EPs already does this.) When you are down to 2 teams, announce that you would "like to recognize the top 2 teams in the division . . . From XXXX, Suzy All-Stars (pause for applause), and the CP All Stars (pause for applause) . . . . and in the xxxxx division, our champion is _________!"

This way, both teams get their "moment" regardless and the winning team can immediately celebrate without hurting anyone's feelings.

watch video above.....thats pretty much what they do...

carolinagirl1823-what team do you know that is "flattered" that the other team "is excited to edge them out for first"? thats just a silly statement. There are actually teams that are excited to win second and do want a moment to celebrate their place. Especially in the story i posted above. That mini team was more than excited to come in second out of 9 teams, sometimes the other team is just better and you know that your team will not be in first and the fact that they beat out 7 other teams is a victory for them. At any rate the program we are at does not allow the kids (or parents) to celebrate until their name is called regardless of what place they come in and i personally have heard numerous times from other programs how nice and gracious our kids, parents and coaches are. As parents we need to teach our kids how to act when they dont win. I feel like it is not my Cp's coaches job to teach her how to be a good sport its my job as a parent to teach her how to act in a competative sport and you can not always win. Its good for EVERY team to lose once in a while.

carolinagirl1823-what team do you know that is "flattered" that the other team "is excited to edge them out for first"? thats just a silly statement. There are actually teams that are excited to win second and do want a moment to celebrate their place. Especially in the story i posted above. That mini team was more than excited to come in second out of 9 teams, sometimes the other team is just better and you know that your team will not be in first and the fact that they beat out 7 other teams is a victory for them. At any rate the program we are at does not allow the kids (or parents) to celebrate until their name is called regardless of what place they come in and i personally have heard numerous times from other programs how nice and gracious our kids, parents and coaches are. As parents we need to teach our kids how to act when they dont win. I feel like it is not my Cp's coaches job to teach her how to be a good sport its my job as a parent to teach her how to act in a competative sport and you can not always win. Its good for EVERY team to lose once in a while.

I apologize again, but this topic really touches a nerve in me.

I have seen more than a couple of awards ceremonies in my time and the whole idea of the second place teams getting severe injuries to their self-esteem because another athlete gets happy too early is a fairly new (and absurd) one. I have sat in on more than my share of 2nd place finishes, I don't EVER remember any of our kids getting scarred for life because another 11 year old can't hide how happy they are for a few seconds. More often than not, we are thrilled to let the spotlight/microscope shine on another team for those few seconds. (Don't forget - you can't let anyone see that you are too disappointed, lest you offend someone else for "not appreciating a placement that many kids strive all their lives for.")

That being said, we do drill into our athletes to not stand up and jump around until their name is called. Those speeches do take away from some time we could be praising our athletes and the job they have done. They do take away from some of the enjoyment and drama of the moment that those athletes have worked all year for. (Rather than enjoying the moment, they are sitting there reminding each other not to react.) However, giving the whole "don't react until you hear your own name" speech time and time again is just easier than dealing with the judgemental vultures in the crowd who look to swoop down and devour young children in the name of "good sportsmanship".

It is just human nature, I suppose, to try to find some dirt on the winning team to make themselves feel better. Kind of a "well, we wouldn't want to be on that team anyway - look at how poor their character is" sort of justification.

It is just human nature, I suppose, to try to find some dirt on the winning team to make themselves feel better. Kind of a "well, we wouldn't want to be on that team anyway - look at how poor their character is" sort of justification.
Well said. Reminds me of elementary school, except that usually involved parting shots that contained words such as 'poopy-head', 'fart-breath' and 'booger-brain.'

I think many of us can agree that outright screaming and tackling if they haven't called your name yet can be a bit much for a local competition against one team, but if it's you vs. me at Worlds and you won by inches, feel free to hit the floor sobbing. I'm too busy focusing on me to know what you're doing..

Fair enough. I am curious when people decided that it was poor sportsmanship to celebrate immediately when you knew you won. In the 90s, everyone celebrated like that and no one seemed to get their feelings hurt by it.

I still think that this is more of a please-the-crowd thing than an actual test of true sportsmanship.
I think in the 90's everyone accepted that there were winners and losers. Now-a-days it seems like EVERYONE has to win and you are not allowed to hurt anyone's feelings.

Nothing botehrs me more as a parent when sitting at awards and the second place team gets called and then at that point first palce knows they won and they are off their feet and screaming so loud that second place does not even get one sinlge moment to enjoy their place. The worst was at a mini awards ceremony and the second place team was called (out of 9 teams) and not only was the first place team jumping up and down and yelling, so were their parents! Second place could not even make their way to the front to get their trophy because there was so much celebrating going on. I understand they were mini age and maybe their coach has not taught them how to be good sports, but their parents?? It just broke my heart that they were second out of 9 teams and they didnt even get to celebrate, what made it worse was at that age all they really want is a trophy. Sure they like winning but as long as they get a trophy life is good. Caoches/Owners should know that it is a huge display of bad sportsmanship and makes your program look terrible!
I'm sorry, the above is not poor sportsmanship. Finger pointing, taunting, posting mean-spirited messages and photos on message boards is poor sportsmanship. There is a huge difference.

girls from some cheer gym were saying some REALLY cool stuff about UA at GLCC... the best part is, they didnt know that the mic behind them was picking EVERYTHING up and is on the dvd. #thats embarrasing

Well of course everyone wants to win and have that moment, but there are always going to be teams that are better than you at different competitions. You might have a bad day...you might have had the best routine of your life. For your team to be right behind them and beat so many other teams is still amazing and deserves to be recognized for that accomplishment. Yes, the younger kids are excited to get a trophy and take pictures, but the older ones usually want some type of recognition. No, of course you're not going to be 100% happy with second, but holy crap 2nd out of 8 teams is awesome. We want our kids is to hit the routine and sell it. That's what makes me a proud coach. I tear up almost everytime I have one of my kids come up to me and say Coach Pam...did we hit everything...how was my jump..did you see my tuck? When their faces light up, give me a huge hug, and leave happy...that's what seems to matter to most of the kids at our gym.

I think the first place does derserve to show a bit of excitement while sitting down and then go crazy when their name is called. I do not think it's appropriate to start jumping up and down in others faces when the other team is called second. I've actually seen this happen twice to a local gym. I had a few former girls on that team and they were so down on themselves due to the fact that this other team laughed in their face. I would have died if my teams did that. Luckily, one of my teams and myself still have a really good relationship with these girls and cheered them up. It was horrible to see this happen. The scores were so close too...both teams did an amazing job.

I will agree that there are a few parents that tend to be more disappointed than the child. It's called respect...that's all the parents, coaches, and athletes want. The second place team should also show their respect by standing up and congratulating the other team...even if it kills them. No one wants to see bitter faces on the floor. Let both teams celebrate their accomplishments of how hard they worked. I'm done...I've rambled too much haha.

Back