All-Star Social Media & Underage Drinking/ Drug Use

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes to the parent level.

As an aside, as a high school staff member, you'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't be) at how much parents actually know about their children partying.

Folks would like to think that parents don't know, but in many cases, parents look at 17/18 year olds and think "Well, he/she is about to go off to college and do it anyway, we may as well buy it and let them party here." or "She is almost an adult. I can't tell her she can't drink at dance nationals/Worlds/wherever kids are drinking."

Never mind the fact that 17 is not "almost an adult" but that is another thread in itself.
Sorry to double post, but totally different subjects...

What you say here is SOOO true. I was once told , in no uncertain terms , by another parent that it was not my concern if their child came into practice drunk or high, despite the fact that I viewed it as dangerous. ( that child was drunk and basing my child)

Yes to the parent level.

As an aside, as a high school staff member, you'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't be) at how much parents actually know about their children partying.

Folks would like to think that parents don't know, but in many cases, parents look at 17/18 year olds and think "Well, he/she is about to go off to college and do it anyway, we may as well buy it and let them party here." or "She is almost an adult. I can't tell her she can't drink at dance nationals/Worlds/wherever kids are drinking."

Never mind the fact that 17 is not "almost an adult" but that is another thread in itself.
Don't forget the "not my child" parents.

What if the athlete is 18 and has a medical marijuana card and is viewed partaking of said substance at a competition (with teammates of course!) Or what if your 13 year old and friends walk into room of fellow teammates to share the leftovers of their ginormous pizza (at the advice of said fellow teammates parents) and teammates run and hide leaving drug paraphenalia strewn about the room.

Ironically the smallest program we were with who could least afford to lose it's athletes is the one that took the strongest stand in my retired cheerleaders career... They removed an older junior age athlete from the program based on continued posting of pictures (showing drug use) on social media despite warnings. We were also at a medium sized program that removed an athlete after catching said athlete getting high in a car in front of the gym before practice (again after repeated warnings) Large gym had most offenders and despite an occassional punishment (handed out at practice) the attitude was basically hear no evil see no evil.

My take (and point) is that a drug testing program industry wide (yep...coaches too (seen it)) would be hugely beneficial!

What if the athlete is 18 and has a medical marijuana card and is viewed partaking of said substance at a competition (with teammates of course!) Or what if your 13 year old and friends walk into room of fellow teammates to share the leftovers of their ginormous pizza (at the advice of said fellow teammates parents) and teammates run and hide leaving drug paraphenalia strewn about the room.

Ironically the smallest program we were with who could least afford to lose it's athletes is the one that took the strongest stand in my retired cheerleaders career... They removed an older junior age athlete from the program based on continued posting of pictures (showing drug use) on social media despite warnings. We were also at a medium sized program that removed an athlete after catching said athlete getting high in a car in front of the gym before practice (again after repeated warnings) Large gym had most offenders and despite an occassional punishment (handed out at practice) the attitude was basically hear no evil see no evil.

My take (and point) is that a drug testing program industry wide (yep...coaches too (seen it)) would be hugely beneficial!

If someone has a medical marijuana card, whatever. From what I understand, the cards are not difficult to obtain so while I might question the need for one, I'm not going to call "illegal." But, just like if I had a prescription for Adderall, I'm not going to walk around passing out my pills to teammates. If you can legally have and use the drug, fine. Don't go sharing with people who don't have that prescription though.

While I think that drug/alcohol problems should be handled in-house, the moment they occur at an event, the EP should be allowed to intervene. Other sports require athletes to be tested. Cheer should too.

Who would pay for it and how would you decide what age to start testing athletes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who would pay for it and how would you decide what age to start testing athletes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have those answers and I highly doubt the powers that be will consider it a priority until something tragic happens (and possibly not even then). There's a lot of you rub my back and I'll rub yours in this industry. I think random testing of coaches and athletes at various competitions if this were ever instituted.

I don't have those answers and I highly doubt the powers that be will consider it a priority until something tragic happens (and possibly not even then). There's a lot of you rub my back and I'll rub yours in this industry. I think random testing of coaches and athletes at various competitions if this were ever instituted.

I agree that unfortunately something tragic will have to happen before anything is done about it. I was only asking because I would be fine with making mandatory (or random) testing a requirement for a USASF professional coaching membership, but making it a requirement for athletes gets a little tricky because then you're drug testing tinies. And I'm sure few parents would actually pay to drug test their six year old.

I agree that unfortunately something tragic will have to happen before anything is done about it. I was only asking because I would be fine with making mandatory (or random) testing a requirement for a USASF professional coaching membership, but making it a requirement for athletes gets a little tricky because then you're drug testing tinies. And I'm sure few parents would actually pay to drug test their six year old.
Maybe juniors and up ...or say 12 and up? It might actually open a few "my Susie would never do that" eyes.

Maybe juniors and up ...or say 12 and up? It might actually open a few "my Susie would never do that" eyes.

I would say 13 years and up. I think that's the age where kids start to get a little rowdier. And, if parents have a problem drug testing their 13 year old (that's 7th grade) then I would question what they know that they don't want the world to know.

Also, you can buy "at home drug tests" at walmart, cvs, walgreens etc. They're around 20-30 dollars which is not that much. Include it in the comp fees. What's 20 bucks when you're already spending a few hundred.

My middle school staff counterparts have referred kids for drug outpatient treatment programs as young as 6th grade (and we are a suburban area.) It happens. Not "troubled" types either. Dance team kids with straight As/Bs.

My middle school staff counterparts have referred kids for drug outpatient treatment programs as young as 6th grade (and we are a suburban area.) It happens. Not "troubled" types either. Dance team kids with straight As/Bs.
Absolutely! I've seen it as well...and all too often "not my perfect Susie".
Eta - by "juniors" I meant junior teams not high school juniors ;)

I've said it before, but something like what happened to the young lady at Louisville will have to happen at Worlds or a high-profile comp to a high-profile athlete before anyone takes a stand on it.

...and that's sad.
And that's what breaks my heart. I wouldn't want Dani to have passed in vain. Too many kids think it can't happen to them.

Two years ago my old high school implemented drug testing for athletes/band/ anyone wanting a parking pass, one at the start of the year and then ransoms throughout. Parents were furious that their child would be tested. Same deal with breathalyzers on the way in to homecoming and prom. My little sister had no issue being tested, and my mom had no issue consenting. It's amazing how many parents have the "not my kid" denial and don't want to face the possibility that it could be there kid.

To save from another post, it also amazes me how many high schoolers parents allow them to visit their college friends constantly, especially for things like Halloween, St Patty's and spring "fests". Said high schoolers also have no problem posting pictures of them drinking on social media, my mother would have killed me. She also would have killed me for what I see these girls wearing out, but that's a whole other topic...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back