All-Star Summer Sandbox

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm going be honest here and say that I'm that person that doesn't read emails and probably asks someone questions I have the answers to somewhere in my plethora of nonsense that has become my inbox. I promise you, though, that i do try to find it on my own first. I have 4 kids, who were at 4 different schools this past school year. That means one email newsletter per school per week. then a classroom newsletter for the two youngest per week. then a CLASS newsletter for most of each of my oldest two kids' core classes per week. even my 6th graders PE teacher sent out a weekly email. On top of school stuff, there is a weekly dance newsletter and a weekly Lacrosse update. The only emails i read are the ones I'm NOT used to seeing all. the. time. If there is something I specifically have to be a part of, I'm not going to catch it in one of those weekly newsletters that i delete without reading. I'm sure there is a mom with one child who reads that preschool newsletter from cover to cover every week. and I'm sure she loves it. but it's not for everyone.

I think GroupMe is the most useful thing in the world for giving information. i love that I wake up on cheer practice morning with a quick "happy :::insert day::: today the girls wear X practice wear! see you at 7:30!" This is the epitome of "best way to communicate" for me. short, useful, pleasant and to the point.
My mom has 5 kids. She HATES emails from teachers because they always start with "hi, I'm your student's science teacher" WHAT STUDENT? WHAT SCIENCE CLASS?
One time the attendance secretary got snippy with her because she didn't know what class I was supposed to be in when she was calling me out. Seriously? She can't memorize everyone's schedule and all 40 teachers we have!

I'm going be honest here and say that I'm that person that doesn't read emails and probably asks someone questions I have the answers to somewhere in my plethora of nonsense that has become my inbox. I promise you, though, that i do try to find it on my own first. I have 4 kids, who were at 4 different schools this past school year. That means one email newsletter per school per week. then a classroom newsletter for the two youngest per week. then a CLASS newsletter for most of each of my oldest two kids' core classes per week. even my 6th graders PE teacher sent out a weekly email. On top of school stuff, there is a weekly dance newsletter and a weekly Lacrosse update. The only emails i read are the ones I'm NOT used to seeing all. the. time. If there is something I specifically have to be a part of, I'm not going to catch it in one of those weekly newsletters that i delete without reading. I'm sure there is a mom with one child who reads that preschool newsletter from cover to cover every week. and I'm sure she loves it. but it's not for everyone.

I think GroupMe is the most useful thing in the world for giving information. i love that I wake up on cheer practice morning with a quick "happy :::insert day::: today the girls wear X practice wear! see you at 7:30!" This is the epitome of "best way to communicate" for me. short, useful, pleasant and to the point.

Love GroupMe. Waiting and hoping CPs team will have one this season!

Email addresses are free. Get a separate one for these things. I used to have two extras - one for each kid. Then I didn't read them all every day necessarily, but I'd at least scroll through the inbox. (when something was coming up, like a competition, I'd check a little more often).

I definitely wouldn't be able to find things in my regular yahoo inbox that I've had for over 10 years. Having them separate makes it sooooooo much easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My mom has 5 kids. She HATES emails from teachers because they always start with "hi, I'm your student's science teacher" WHAT STUDENT? WHAT SCIENCE CLASS?
One time the attendance secretary got snippy with her because she didn't know what class I was supposed to be in when she was calling me out. Seriously? She can't memorize everyone's schedule and all 40 teachers we have!

YES! I'll get the "If your child hasn't turned in their math unit 5 homework, please let them know they have until 3 pm friday" SURRRE...i'll get right on that. I bet they'd love it if I replied and said "what school are you at? what grade?"

Email addresses are free. Get a separate one for these things. I used to have two extras - one for each kid. Then I didn't read them all every day necessarily, but I'd at least scroll through the inbox. (when something was coming up, like a competition, I'd check a little more often).

I definitely wouldn't be able to find things in my regular yahoo inbox that I've had for over 10 years. Having them separate makes it sooooooo much easier.

That seems logical, but it wouldn't actually help me open and read them...LOL or give me time to read them. I manage with a calendar that all my kids have access to, that they're required to add THEIR things into. If a teacher or coach notifies them that something has changed and I wasn't present when that notification happens and they don't get it added, it's falls under the "sorry aboutcha" category. I DO scroll through the email subject lines, I just don't read the regular old weekly summaries. So, if it's important and informative about future changes, I will definitely miss it in a newsletter type format.

Totally agree! Cp is only 8, so I have an email that is her first name and mama . I use it for school, gym and club contact info. It is great b/c it doesn't get spam and easily is found. Two coaches have commented on the fact that they like it because they immediately knew which addy belonged to us.

Totally agree! Cp is only 8, so I have an email that is her first name and mama . I use it for school, gym and club contact info. It is great b/c it doesn't get spam and easily is found. Two coaches have commented on the fact that they like it because they immediately knew which addy belonged to us.

This is a brilliant idea. If I ever have a change of heart about having children I would start using this.

That seems logical, but it wouldn't actually help me open and read them...LOL or give me time to read them. I manage with a calendar that all my kids have access to, that they're required to add THEIR things into. If a teacher or coach notifies them that something has changed and I wasn't present when that notification happens and they don't get it added, it's falls under the "sorry aboutcha" category. I DO scroll through the email subject lines, I just don't read the regular old weekly summaries. So, if it's important and informative about future changes, I will definitely miss it in a newsletter type format.

(mostly just jumping off this post)

I'm not gonna lie... This makes my job almost completely impossible. I've taken on the attitude of "I gave you the information. If you miss dress rehearsal or recital because you CHOSE not to read it... That is your problem, not mine" this year. (the majority of our dancers are 8 and under, so I doubt they're paying any attention to information we give - I need their parents to get it together)

The answer I usually get is similar to yours - "I have 'x number' of kids. I don't have time to read all this stuff." I cannot imagine what makes parents think that I have time to individually tell a couple hundred parents when they need to be somewhere.

I legit do not have time - the day before picture day, we had literally 27 voice mails from people that didn't know what time to be there. Note: we posted the schedule for picture day on the wall 4 weeks in advance, and emailed it in 2 separate emails. We also handed out picture day packets with each child's individual call time stapled to the front. So ridiculous.

I do not buy into the whole, "I don't have time" answer from moms. Y'all don't feel the need to *make* time, which is not the same as not having time. I see moms make time for all kinds of nonsense at the studio. They could read every email I've ever sent them in that one hour they're sitting there posting on Facebook.

I don't care if people don't read emails - just don't call me asking for information I've already given you. If you've got time to call, you've got time to read the emails.

I don't know if their email is specifically for kid stuff, but I have a few parents who have personal email accounts named (example) turnermom (at) gmail.com or momtocourtney @ yahoo.com and it makes my life so much easier.

I'm not gonna lie... This makes my job almost completely impossible. I've taken on the attitude of "I gave you the information. If you miss dress rehearsal or recital because you CHOSE not to read it... That is your problem, not mine" this year. (the majority of our dancers are 8 and under, so I doubt they're paying any attention to information we give - I need their parents to get it together)

The answer I usually get is similar to yours - "I have 'x number' of kids. I don't have time to read all this stuff." I cannot imagine what makes parents think that I have time to individually tell a couple hundred parents when they need to be somewhere.

I legit do not have time - the day before picture day, we had literally 27 voice mails from people that didn't know what time to be there. Note: we posted the schedule for picture day on the wall 4 weeks in advance, and emailed it in 2 separate emails. We also handed out picture day packets with each child's individual call time stapled to the front. So ridiculous.

I do not buy into the whole, "I don't have time" answer from moms. Y'all don't feel the need to *make* time, which is not the same as not having time. I see moms make time for all kinds of nonsense at the studio. They could read every email I've ever sent them in that one hour they're sitting there posting on Facebook.

I don't care if people don't read emails - just don't call me asking for information I've already given you. If you've got time to call, you've got time to read the emails.

This!

If a parent is not going to read, that is fine. However, please find someone who DOES so that you can ask THEM 27 questions regarding the things I have already texted and emailed about at least 3 times.

Make friends and ask each other so you don't need to ask me!

Same goes for kids when they ask me the same sort of questions.

You text, group chat, etc. all the time anyway. Please use that to ask all of your questions that have already been answered.

Often, my response to a kid asking me an inane question about which bows we wear on Monday is met with "You have 26 teammates! I'm sure one of them knows!"

Jumping off as well...LOL. i would NEVER call the studio and ask what time rehearsal is. i would go to the website and print the schedule. i *might* text a mom who also has a kid in the class and ask her if i had already exhausted my search for information on the website.

my comments about emails are geared towards the frequent/weekly "newsletters" only and the fact that i will not read them because what happens in my kids class room or school-wide, doesn't usually pertain to me or my daily life or future plans. So, if a CHANGE from normal is happening and it's stuck in a "weekly update" which usually is just a summary of things that have happened or a list of things that are about to happen that i've already added to my calendar, it's missed.

Also, when i say i have 4 kids, i don't believe it's anyone else's problem, its more of an example of how emails multiply exponentially by number of children. I am not saying it because i expect anyone to call me individually with a time and place. that is absurd.

Jumping off as well...LOL. i would NEVER call the studio and ask what time rehearsal is. i would go to the website and print the schedule. i *might* text a mom who also has a kid in the class and ask her if i had already exhausted my search for information on the website.

my comments about emails are geared towards the frequent/weekly "newsletters" only and the fact that i will not read them because what happens in my kids class room or school-wide, doesn't usually pertain to me or my daily life or future plans. So, if a CHANGE from normal is happening and it's stuck in a "weekly update" which usually is just a summary of things that have happened or a list of things that are about to happen that i've already added to my calendar, it's missed.

Also, when i say i have 4 kids, i don't believe it's anyone else's problem, its more of an example of how emails multiply exponentially by number of children. I am not saying it because i expect anyone to call me individually with a time and place. that is absurd.

Lol I totally agree on newsletters. We only do about 4 per year, and I know no one reads them, so they never have anything urgent in them. They're mostly student of the month, a link to my boss's Lion King blog, and maybe a spotlight on something we're working on in classes. BORING. I hate them and wish we wouldn't send any - I think it's just more junk that makes our important emails harder to search later, and less likely to get read.

And you get an extra shimmy :shimmy: for not calling the studio! That's my only issue - when people call me (especially with an attitude) about not having information that I have provided in 3 separate formats. Tomorrow is dress rehearsal. I can't wait to check voice mail tonight.

I had one mom tell me last week, "I don't have time to read emails!!!" When I answered, "But it's also posted on the wall and we gave it to Morgan on paper," she rolled her eyes and said (and no, I'm not making this up), "You guys' inability to choose a reliable method of communication is not my problem. I guess I'll just ask someone who can actually help me." :banghead::banghead::banghead: I can only hope and dream that she also didn't have time to read the re-enrollment form for next session...

I'm gonna hit the original question up and say that I hope we see someone new emerge and win a world title this season!! Or at least break into the top 5. It is always SO good for the growth of cheer when we have a shakeup from the same ol' same ol' in the division from every single season. Come onnnnnnnnn fresh new face!!!

I'm gonna hit the original question up and say that I hope we see someone new emerge and win a world title this season!! Or at least break into the top 5. It is always SO good for the growth of cheer when we have a shakeup from the same ol' same ol' in the division from every single season. Come onnnnnnnnn fresh new face!!!
It was awesome to see 5/10 divisions this year at Worlds have brand new winners.

Ya'll would hate me!! I don't use e-mail. I despise it as a form of communication and just don't have time in my life to deal with it. I mean I have an e-mail because you have to have one for some things like PayPal and Fierce Board, Facebook etc. however I only check it about every four or five months. I just don't have an extra hour to waste checking e-mail in my days. If you want to tell me something send me a flyer or text me. I don't listen to voice mails either. If I see you called and I want to speak with you I'll call you back. I don't even know what "group me" is...[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are still use just one primary email address? :eek: Dang I'm not even anyone important and I have 3 separate ones, lol.

Back