All-Star Tanning Advice For Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Spray tan vs self tanning

• Total voters
I've always done spray tans for comps but now I'm thinking about self tanning because I can do it just as good myself (minus my back I get help with that) and it comes off really nicely? Normally when I have a spray tan it sticks to my skin and I look like I've got a weird skin problem for a good few weeks after, but with self tanning it lasts perfectly for at least 10 days without any issues (I use St moriz mousse- I don't know if it's available in U.S. but it's the best thing I've found and it's so cheap!)

I've always done spray tans for comps but now I'm thinking about self tanning because I can do it just as good myself (minus my back I get help with that) and it comes off really nicely? Normally when I have a spray tan it sticks to my skin and I look like I've got a weird skin problem for a good few weeks after, but with self tanning it lasts perfectly for at least 10 days without any issues (I use St moriz mousse- I don't know if it's available in U.S. but it's the best thing I've found and it's so cheap!)
Does it come in a white bottle with a blue cap and a mitt thing?

i second that ! I love st moritz! And the sunkissed version from primark is also good! i never had any streaks or problems with the tanning mousse it is perfect!

I've always done airbrush, and loved it. However, if you want full color, I wouldn't do it more than two or three days before your competition. I normally would go on Thursday if we were leaving Friday, or Friday if leaving saturday. I learned very quickly that you should shave before you go, and not to shower for at least 12 hours. They always say 4-8 hours, but my color always looked best after I waited longer to shower. I never ruined or even got dyes on any clothes. What really stunk for me however, was that I have several skin diseases, so I have really itchy skin like always, but especially when I can't properly moisturize. Airbrush tans are notorious for seriously drying out skin. If you get an airbrush, I heavily recommend also buying the Norelco (sp?) lotion that's meant for airbrush. It was like finding water in the desert after waiting 12 hours, lol. Oh, and the lotion progresses the color more!
Make sure you never, ever, ever do Mystic Tan. Just. Don't. Do. It. An old teammate did it before we went to the Summit in 2013, and fell asleep afterward, with her hands on her legs. Hand prints. on her legs. It was so funny. DONT GET MYSTIC

i second that ! I love st moritz! And the sunkissed version from primark is also good! i never had any streaks or problems with the tanning mousse it is perfect!
Yes primark are really good for tan too! You can get some really good cheap self tans! I love it!

Make sure you never, ever, ever do Mystic Tan. Just. Don't. Do. It. An old teammate did it before we went to the Summit in 2013, and fell asleep afterward, with her hands on her legs. Hand prints. on her legs. It was so funny. DONT GET MYSTIC
For my daughter and most of her teammates, we only do mystic. They turn out beautiful. It's a mystic hd bed and we've never had a problem. We get the dark, even though she's naturally pale. We don't get any of the tint stuff. We tried Versa one time and were not happy. Another teammate got a versa before worlds and it was awful. She had to scrub it off. I think it just varies from place to place. You probably just have to try your local booths and see what works.

We did spray brush with a girl that was really good but she just wouldn't do it dark enough. No matter how many times we told her. I know she was trying to make it look natural and good but we could never make her understand we wanted super tanned cheer look. That's when we started doing the mystic booth and we're much happier. We get it on Thursday night or Friday morning, before 2-days. My mom found an almost new commercial tanning bed a couple of weeks ago for super cheap and bought it for my daughter so she's getting in it now.

And if you want cheap, good self tanner try Banana Boat Summer Color Self Tanning Lotion. Use the Deep Dark color. We've tried 10 different self tanners and this one is cheap and works just as good as any of them. Walmart sells it for about $7.

I used to get spray tans, because I never had good experiances with selftanning. but then someone recommended fake bake to me and it's awesome!!!! i even used it for my whole team for our showcase.
last time i had ordered fake bake, i received a sample of st-moriz and ever since i use that one since it's so much cheaper and i think it doesnt make stains as much as fake bake does (although fake bake doesnt stain much either). id suggest you try several things and see whatever suits your skin best.

For my daughter and most of her teammates, we only do mystic. They turn out beautiful. It's a mystic hd bed and we've never had a problem. We get the dark, even though she's naturally pale. We don't get any of the tint stuff. We tried Versa one time and were not happy. Another teammate got a versa before worlds and it was awful. She had to scrub it off. I think it just varies from place to place. You probably just have to try your local booths and see what works.
See, they don't have Mystic beds around here. Just Mystic standing booths...which end up uneven and the same color for everyone lol. Some of my greek friends didn't even see a difference in their color afterward lol. Didn't know such a bed existed but that's great!!

See, they don't have Mystic beds around here. Just Mystic standing booths...which end up uneven and the same color for everyone lol. Some of my greek friends didn't even see a difference in their color afterward lol. Didn't know such a bed existed but that's great!!
Sorry that's my fault, I'm crazy. It's a booth. She stands and rotates on the footprints when it tells her while it sprays her. It comes out great. The versa she got was really streaky and uneven. The color didn't look good either. There are probably 20-25 kids on her team that do mystic in the same model of booth. They work great for us. She does use the dark color, though. Just none of the accelerators or bronzer stuff. It goes on clear.

We go and use the Versa Spa -level 2 bronze. It has never come off on my CPs white uniform. She goes twice, though, usually the Monday and Thursday before the competition.
She, unfortunately, does not have my Italian skin, even though she is 75% Italian. She got the 25% Irish skin.

Sorry that's my fault, I'm crazy. It's a booth. She stands and rotates on the footprints when it tells her while it sprays her. It comes out great. The versa she got was really streaky and uneven. The color didn't look good either. There are probably 20-25 kids on her team that do mystic in the same model of booth. They work great for us. She does use the dark color, though. Just none of the accelerators or bronzer stuff. It goes on clear.
lol that sounds more normal now :)
yeah I guess they must've gotten whatever dark shade of bronzer was available but it didn't do much and my pale friends came out orange lol...it's not a good thing around here! glad it's good other places though haha.

also make sure you go try it before you really need it! not all products turn out the same color for everyone!
you dont want your team to change their voiceover into: "excuse me im sorry, im really such a lady,i wear the whateveryourcolorsare, but my face is orange baby".

By the way, the self tanner I was looking into was the "fake bake flawless" system.
I love fake bake flawless and even having one of those airbrush tanners my mom paid hundreds of dollars for i prefer it over anything else I've used. You have instant DARK color after one day and I've never once had it streaky. I absolutely love Fake bake! It doesn't rub off on my clothes either.

Back