All-Star Teal Reveal

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That's actually a great life lesson. You will be disappointed sometime in your life. Learn how to deal with it both in private and public. Those are often two different reactions.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
For the older ones, perhaps yes. But I remember when former cp at age 10 found out she was only being placed on the jr 2 team instead of the jr 3 after the previous season on a youth 3 and jr 2. She looked like she had been punched in the stomach when she read the email. I am happy that was a private experience because she was able to be upset and then pull herself together enough to be driven to the gym to speak to the coach to find out the reason for her placement.

Yep! =\
I remember our last season there when they first did the teal reveal and one of my CP's former teammates came running up to me saying, "look look look I made mini elite!!!" She was so freaking excited and I grinned really wide and congratulated her w/a hug. I went over to say hello to her mom expecting her to be equally happy, but boy was I wrong! I was informed by the mom that her CP was really upset with her team placement.... riiight, she seemed totally devastated only minutes before :rolleyes: bc she (her CP) "knows that she's still on the baby team" and that "she's worked too hard to be on the baby team again". Followed by her own words, which was something to the effect of "We'll see about this- my baby deserves better (after proceeding to talk down another child who had made a "better team" than her CP :confused:) and "if Susie can be on that team, then so can my baby or I'll take her elsewhere".

Now I obv can't say whether or not her CP wanted to be on the other team once she was placed there, bc I never heard her say she was unhappy, and she seemed happy throughout the rest of our time there, but I do know for a fact that it was her mother , not her, who was upset with team placements. She was like 6 or 7 for crying out loud- you tell me :cow:
Here is a problem that I noticed at CEA and at the other gym in the area (my daughter just tumbles now.) "If Susie can be on that team, then so can my baby or I'll take her elsewhere" seems to be the prevailing course. Both staffs are willing to put up with psycho parents in order to keep the revenue stream. Last fall, I was waiting at a gymnastics gym for my kid when this psycho cheer dad was bragging about avoiding Betsy at the gym because he had been banned for cussing out one of the coaches. I'm positive that megsmom and mstealtoyou can guess exactly who that was. Why he wasn't asked to take his daughter and leave befuddles me since I know CSP has made people leave who've done the same to her.

Last edited:
It is...and I think that's why you see alot of kids with 3 team placement paper's. Say.....Coed Excel, Sr 4 and 4.2. Maybe it was a new layout they threw at tryouts and if rosters are final in Aug and kid continues to throw it through the summer then she woudn't be on 4.2 If layout was a lucky break at tryouts and they're not throwing it all summer they're already practicing with 4.2 anyway.........
Our gym works that way. If the athletes keep progressing they can be moved up to the next level once the coaches are sure that this new skill is permanent.

Here is a problem that I noticed at CEA and at the other gym in the area (my daughter just tumbles now.) "If Susie can be on that team, then so can my baby or I'll take her elsewhere" seems to be the prevailing course. Both staffs are willing to put up with psycho parents in order to keep the revenue stream. Last fall, I was waiting at a gymnastics gym for my kid when this psycho cheer dad was bragging about avoiding Betsy at the gym because he had been banned for cussing out one of the coaches. I'm positive that megsmom and mstealtoyou can guess exactly who that was. Why he wasn't asked to take his daughter and leave befuddles me since I know CSP has made people leave who've done the same to her.

Sadly I do know who this is.......

Shame on every organization that is willing to do this. I do not know why they do not understand that it will never end well for themselves or their gym.

Shame on every organization that is willing to do this. I do not know why they do not understand that it will never end well for themselves or their gym.
Money. They are businesses and need to make a payroll. And, psycho parents are usually so psycho they are willing to make life miserable for those gym owners even after they've gone somewhere else. I bet 90% of rumors are started by disgruntled nuts.

I have no idea what the specific situation is here - you may be correct. However, there are sometimes other reasons to keep a kid with a less-than-ideal parent. Example: wanting to help out a kid with a less-than-ideal parent. It isn't always easy to punish an athlete for the behavior of their parent.

Not to put down their coaching choices...but I saw on instagram last night that Erica was spotting a little one on Glitter Penguins for the first time on a standing tuck (Erica's first time ever spotting) and that led me to wonder...aren't coaches supposed to have special certification for these things? Or did the girls already complete them? It just worries me that brand new coaches at a first practice are spotting things that they may not be properly trained in.
I seriously doubt that Erica has never spotted a tuck before the other day. If you've ever been in a gym environment with a senior team then you will see kids spotting their teammates on a normal basis. I learned to spot skills around age 14 or 15.

Yes. Definitely. In the case I mentioned above I think that's part of it. Because the mom keeps saying she "got moved down" and is "with all the new kids who've never competed" - which, while true, is probably not the best way to put it. It's a new team that we didn't have before. Yes, the kids are new to competing, but not new to dance. It's the perfect team for her skillwise, but her friends are still on her old team. This girl is 8 - I don't think she would have even known it was a lower level if her mom hadn't said it. We could have talked her down off the "I miss my friends thing" - but now she thinks she's the worst dancer ever and wants to quit.

I get that being moved down a level sucks, but I wish mom would make her at least go to camp and see the team before freaking out.

We just had 2 girls quit for this very reason. So frustrating! One stemmed from a parent forcing their child to tryout when they didn't want to and then being placed on a team that she felt was below her (it wasn't!) The other from being on the "baby" team.

I seriously doubt that Erica has never spotted a tuck before the other day. If you've ever been in a gym environment with a senior team then you will see kids spotting their teammates on a normal basis. I learned to spot skills around age 14 or 15.

We just had 2 girls quit for this very reason. So frustrating! One stemmed from a parent forcing their child to tryout when they didn't want to and then being placed on a team that she felt was below her (it wasn't!) The other from being on the "baby" team.
I seriously hope it's not normal for uncertified kids to be spotting there teammates on skills. It's definitely not normal in any gym I've been in. And I know I'm not the only one on here that thinks this way because there was a recent thread about that same topic and pretty much everyone agreed that the athlete should leave the gym after being told to have a teammate spot him. I know it's slighly different since a coach told them to have someone spot, but the premise of having someone that hasn't been trained in spotting, especially new skills, is really concerning.

I have no idea what the specific situation is here - you may be correct. However, there are sometimes other reasons to keep a kid with a less-than-ideal parent. Example: wanting to help out a kid with a less-than-ideal parent. It isn't always easy to punish an athlete for the behavior of their parent.
Unfortunately the rest of the parents are rarely aware of the behind-the-scenes reason if there is one, which is an understandable and admirable reason for trying to keep an athlete at your gym by placating their psycho parent with a different (in this case higher) team placement than the athlete deserves. All they see is that the parents who makes the biggest scene and the loudest threats get their way.

I seriously hope it's not normal for uncertified kids to be spotting there teammates on skills. It's definitely not normal in any gym I've been in. And I know I'm not the only one on here that thinks this way because there was a recent thread about that same topic and pretty much everyone agreed that the athlete should leave the gym after being told to have a teammate spot him. I know it's slighly different since a coach told them to have someone spot, but the premise of having someone that hasn't been trained in spotting, especially new skills, is really concerning.

Should have included in my original post that this is not something that is ever instructed or encouraged by coaches, but it happens. Has happened at every gym or hs team I've been on and does happen at the gyms I've coached at. I just find it hard to believe that as many times and many different places that I've seen it, that it doesn't happen everywhere. You can't control everything that goes on at the gym. Coaches can't be and are not everywhere. Kids ask their friend Susie to spot them all the time. Its usually kids that don't really need a spot or those kids that "just want a spot on the first one." What baffles me is when kids ask someone who doesn't even have the skill to spot them on it.

I cheered high school and we always spotted each other on everything. The most teammates ever did were tucks, and my coach/tumbling coach would step in for more advanced things. It seemed normal to me. It never resulted in any injuries, mainly because most of us could tumble and it's not hard to spot a standing tuck. We were always supervised and had crash pad mats.

However, I wouldn't expect/want to be spotted by a teammate at a gym, because I'm paying for professional instruction.

Back