All-Star Teams Dropping Levels So They Can Win?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 30, 2011
So, this is something that when I was an all star cheerleader (4 years ago) I didn't really see that much. But now, it seems as though every competition I go to, I see a team and think to myself "Why on earth are they competing in this level? When clearly they can do more than that.."

If I was 17 years old, and all I could do is a round-off, beginner in stunting, etc, logically, I am going to be on a senior level 1 team. And let's say I was 12 years old, and could do a double full, I would hope to be on a level 5 team. The whole point of being put on a team with a level is so you fit in with everyone on that team according to skills, example - all I can do is a back handspring, and that is all everyone else can do on my team. If you can do more than that, then you will be placed on a higher team..

What it seems like now, is that these amazing teams are only in lower levels just so they can win 1st place every time. If you are as obsessed with cheerleading as I am, you know when a team is good enough to be in a higher level. It's not that hard to figure out.

It's just sad because that's taking away from all the teams that really belong in the level they are in, and now they have no chance against a team that is ridiculous! Or multiple teams for that matter!

So, I was just wondering what everyone thinks about this! And if anyone has noticed this as well?

An old coach of mine did that before a long time ago. She would put us in levels below us and we were so young that of course we didn't know. As I got older though, I would realize she was bringing down girls from the senior team to compete with us so we would beat other teams.

I think it's wrong to do that. If you aren't a big contender in your division then work harder so you can be. As simple as that.

Everyone has to play by the same rules though, so I don't think it is completely unfair.

Even though everyone has to play by the same rules, if you have a team dropping levels, they are usually going to be much better at the lower level skills than many teams that "belong" at that level. A team that is competing level 2, that should really be a level 3 or 4, are going to have much better roundoff back handsprings than a true level 2 team that has kids that just got their back handsprings. Same holds true for stunting -- if they are capable of doing extended stunts, and you put them at level 2 with prep level stunts, they will have a much easier time than a "true" level 2 team.

Everyone has to play by the same rules though, so I don't think it is completely unfair.

I totally agree with you here. If a level 4 team drops down to level 3, the whole dynamics of their routine changes. And on top of that, they are only allowed to do level 3 skills. So, hopefully all of those skills are up to par. I've seen a lot of level 4 and 5 teams drop a level below, which I strongly feel they shouldn't have been in the level they were in prior to dropping down, and still lose. The teams that are competing in that specific division, who aren't switching from level to level, should have an advantage over the team that's dropping down. Why? They are competing they same routine they've been competing the whole year, so it should be strong!

That's just my view...

To be competitve at competitions I feel that if you are competeting level 2 than your should be about a mid level 3. If you are a 3 you should be a mid level 4 team. It sucks but to max out scores and diffuctly thats the way it has to be?

If a team has been performing at, for example, a level 4 for the first half of the season and has not been able to hit and moves down for the rest of the season I can understand it, they have simply realized they aren't ready for that level. But too many teams are true level 4's (again choosing level 4 simply as a example) - have been successful in the season, but move down for the big comps - like NCA. I do think that is unfair to the true level teams they are now competing against.
We saw a very good team (that we know dropped down for NCA) that may have actually hurt themselves by doing this. They were penalized for an illegal tumbling skill and we could only speculate that the cp couldn't adjust and kept throwing a skill she shouldn't for the level they were now competing in. But in most instances, the higher level team is going to have a substantive advantage over the true level teams and it just doesn't seem right. I do wonder about the message that sends a team. It is more important to get that jacket than for you guys to push yourselves to do your best at your true competitive level.
Why can't this be controlled? If they haven't performed at the lower level for at least the two comps before the biggies, than don't allow them to drop. I am completely clueless as to whether this could be enforced and which comps would you choose as the bigs -NCA, UCA and Cheersport? But this happens every year and the common consensus seems to be that is just not right.

I don't think it is fair either. We had a team go against one of our level 5 teams and barely beat them because the judges admitted they made a mistake. So the next competition that we saw them at they had dropped to level 4!!!

This irritates me so much when teams do this, i can understand if you have crossovers who have higher level tumbling and are put down to a lower level team, but I really don't think you should bump down all of your highest level athletes to compete at a lower level it is not fair to the rest of us who have to work hard for our comp. scores.

If a team has been performing at, for example, a level 4 for the first half of the season and has not been able to hit and moves down for the rest of the season I can understand it, they have simply realized they aren't ready for that level. But too many teams are true level 4's (again choosing level 4 simply as a example) - have been successful in the season, but move down for the big comps - like NCA. I do think that is unfair to the true level teams they are now competing against.
We saw a very good team (that we know dropped down for NCA) that may have actually hurt themselves by doing this. They were penalized for an illegal tumbling skill and we could only speculate that the cp couldn't adjust and kept throwing a skill she shouldn't for the level they were now competing in. But in most instances, the higher level team is going to have a substantive advantage over the true level teams and it just doesn't seem right. I do wonder about the message that sends a team. It is more important to get that jacket than for you guys to push yourselves to do your best at your true competitive level.
Why can't this be controlled? If they haven't performed at the lower level for at least the two comps before the biggies, than don't allow them to drop. I am completely clueless as to whether this could be enforced and which comps would you choose as the bigs -NCA, UCA and Cheersport? But this happens every year and the common consensus seems to be that is just not right.
I know of a team that has been level 4 all year, dropped to level 3 for NCA and won, and are back at level 4 for the rest of the season. Needless to say I've lost a lot of respect for that program.

I was told that one of the level 3 teams that my cp competed against at a recent competition brought down a handfull of level 5 athletes to "be more competitive". It was obvious to us they were just filling in because we had competed against them before and the handfull had not been there at that time. We also saw them afterwards and they were back off. I was told it was so they could beat us. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for them and our true level 3 not only beat them, but took grand champs as well. It's not right, but it didn't help them in this situation either. A tuck is still a tuck whether you have a doupble or not.

I think that in addition to registering with USASF for age divisions, you should also be required to register as a level. I am sure USA Gymnastics doesn't think much of level 9 gymnasts dropping down to a level 5 or 6 "for the win".

In most cases I would certainly agree with what everyone of you is saying, especialy if a team only dropped down for one big national competition. But I have seen the other side of things where dropping down was a great idea and really helped the girls on the team do an awesome job and win.

I cheer at a really small team and this year we had a junior 3 team with several girls who could of competied on a youth 3 but there just aren't enough athletes in our gym for that. Not everyone on the team was up to being a level 3 yet but they wanted to challenge themselves and see what they could do. A little bit more than half way through the season after constantly coming up short the coaches gym owners and even some of the parents thought dropping them down would what is best of them. They didn't do this just to win or just to dominate the other teams in the j2 division, they did this so the young cheerleaders on the team could be happy and confident with their routine. Which they were and over all was the best decision for the team and our gym all together.

Back