OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Hey guys, I remember reading this thread so long ago because I've always wanted to be a part of greek life! Maybe some of you have some insight to my rush experience right now and can help me. I just transferred to a big university so, of course, I decided to rush. I'm in my third year of college, but the way my credits transferred I was unsure of what grade I was, so I put down on my application a junior. Turns out, I have about two and a half years left, so I'm technically a sophomore. I didn't know this until today after my first round of parties. When I came back today I only got invited back to two of the eight potential parties. The two I got invited back to were both ones I didn't feel a connection to day one. I was hesitant to even continue, but decided it'd still be a great experience. I understand each chapter has different things they're looking for, etc., but does age matter? I would just hate not to have made it into the house tour parties because of my mistaken grade and if I rush next year, be in the same situation. Sorry, I'm more venting at this point. It's 100 percent possible the houses just didn't think I was a good fit even if I felt a strong connection! It's just frustrating to not have options you enjoy when you've looked forward to this moment your entire life.
I think it depends on the chapter/school. I know for my chapter specifically we try not to take juniors because our current junior class (mine) is HUGE and we don't want to take girls we know we're going to lose in such a short amount of time.

Hey guys, I remember reading this thread so long ago because I've always wanted to be a part of greek life! Maybe some of you have some insight to my rush experience right now and can help me. I just transferred to a big university so, of course, I decided to rush. I'm in my third year of college, but the way my credits transferred I was unsure of what grade I was, so I put down on my application a junior. Turns out, I have about two and a half years left, so I'm technically a sophomore. I didn't know this until today after my first round of parties. When I came back today I only got invited back to two of the eight potential parties. The two I got invited back to were both ones I didn't feel a connection to day one. I was hesitant to even continue, but decided it'd still be a great experience. I understand each chapter has different things they're looking for, etc., but does age matter? I would just hate not to have made it into the house tour parties because of my mistaken grade and if I rush next year, be in the same situation. Sorry, I'm more venting at this point. It's 100 percent possible the houses just didn't think I was a good fit even if I felt a strong connection! It's just frustrating to not have options you enjoy when you've looked forward to this moment your entire life.
Age can matter and that may be why they cut you, but if they don't want you because of your age is that really where you want to be? Definitely go back to every house that invites you even if you weren't feeling it, because it can totally change! There was one house that I had the worst experience at the first day and actually really liked the second day just because the girls I talked to the first day were painfully awkward. The house I ended up in I loved from the beginning but not everyone has that experience.
My pledge class has two juniors in it at a competitive SEC school so it's not impossible!

My daughter just went thru recruitment as a Junior. She knows she got cut at some houses because she is a Junior. She did have a full schedule every day though and really loves the chapter she joined - she knew going in how it would be and tried to keep an open mind and give all the houses a chance and not listen to rumors etc. She was willing to try any house she received a bid to, to get to know the girls and house, luckily she got her top choice at the end.

Today is preference day for my former cp and she's now completely stressing out because she clicked really well with both that she went back to and doesn't know which one to put down as first. This is all so foreign to me I don't even know what to tell her! I'm hoping she will have an epiphany in the next few hours and be completely happy with her choice rather than feeling that she's disappointing someone by making a choice.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still going to finish the week! I guess I should've known I was rushing with a slight disadvantage before I went in. I just wasn't prepared for that. But I'll hope for the best, keep an open mind, and see what happens. It's just a lot to be making a lifelong commitment on a sorority you like versus knowing what potentially could have been with a sorority you loved. We'll see where the week goes!

Today is preference day for my former cp and she's now completely stressing out because she clicked really well with both that she went back to and doesn't know which one to put down as first. This is all so foreign to me I don't even know what to tell her! I'm hoping she will have an epiphany in the next few hours and be completely happy with her choice rather than feeling that she's disappointing someone by making a choice.
Best of luck to her and her decision! They always say to trust the process because it always works, so hopefully that is the case!

Age can matter and that may be why they cut you, but if they don't want you because of your age is that really where you want to be? Definitely go back to every house that invites you even if you weren't feeling it, because it can totally change! There was one house that I had the worst experience at the first day and actually really liked the second day just because the girls I talked to the first day were painfully awkward. The house I ended up in I loved from the beginning but not everyone has that experience.
My pledge class has two juniors in it at a competitive SEC school so it's not impossible!
I think it totally depends on which girls you speak to, as well. Today I actually got put with someone from the sorority who is on my cheer team for house tours which was a better experience!

Best of luck to her and her decision! They always say to trust the process because it always works, so hopefully that is the case!
Trusting the process is so true. She just texted me before she now knows which one she wants without a doubt and is very excited. The funny thing is this is the one she said she wanted even when she was a senior in high school but because my cousin is a national chair and my sister was in this one as well, she was concerned that they were liking her because she was somewhat legacy as opposed to truly liking her for her. I guess somone she spoke to completely dispelled that notion because now she is thrilled and no longer conflicted.

Trusting the process is so true. She just texted me before she now knows which one she wants without a doubt and is very excited. The funny thing is this is the one she said she wanted even when she was a senior in high school but because my cousin is a national chair and my sister was in this one as well, she was concerned that they were liking her because she was somewhat legacy as opposed to truly liking her for her. I guess somone she spoke to completely dispelled that notion because now she is thrilled and no longer conflicted.
It's definitely hard to be in that situation. I totally feel her pain... When I got my schedule on sisterhood day (up to 7 parties), my sister's house was the only house that I had really wanted back and got back. I had a pretty big meltdown (which is strange because I'm the like least emotional person you'll ever meet) because I was worried that they only wanted me back because of my sister. Like crying on the phone with my mom and then my best friend and then just bawling to my Pi chi who was so amazing dealing with me (and ended up being in the same house as me). When I went to the house though, what stood out to me was that I didn't have to lie to them when they asked me how my day was. I could be honest and tell them that it kind of sucked in the morning but that I was really glad to be back. Everyone I talked to had clearly been paired with me purposefully because I had connected with them earlier in the week and I just felt so welcomed and loved there. After that I knew that it was where I needed to be.
It's definitely a stressful week and concerns about a house not liking you for you make it worse. Especially being a little sister, you don't want to always be "Maggie's sister", you want to be you. Going in I knew I had a different situation than a lot of other girls but I totally underestimated how hard it would be to have that on my mind. It just messes with you and especially since lots of other girls make comments about how "sister sisters basically have an automatic in" it makes you question it more. My sister wasn't even there during recruitment (she's on LOA right now) so it wasn't like she was there when they were talking about me but it was still freaking me out. But they really won't keep people they don't like and sometimes you just need to hear that from someone else for it to set in and calm your emotions.
Honestly recruitment is just a lot. that's the only way to accurately describe it IMO. You are alone for the first time and then thrown into crazy long days with no sleep of making small talk with girls who you just feel are judging you. Then you get invites and everything feels so personal and you're tired and in a place you're not fully comfortable in and don't have solid friend groups in yet. So much is thrown at you all at once and it's just hard.
Also everyone probably thinks I'm super emotional because I also cried a lot during preference round at the house I'm now in. But I almost never cry, I just cried a lot during recruitment.

It's definitely hard to be in that situation. I totally feel her pain... When I got my schedule on sisterhood day (up to 7 parties), my sister's house was the only house that I had really wanted back and got back. I had a pretty big meltdown (which is strange because I'm the like least emotional person you'll ever meet) because I was worried that they only wanted me back because of my sister. Like crying on the phone with my mom and then my best friend and then just bawling to my Pi chi who was so amazing dealing with me (and ended up being in the same house as me). When I went to the house though, what stood out to me was that I didn't have to lie to them when they asked me how my day was. I could be honest and tell them that it kind of sucked in the morning but that I was really glad to be back. Everyone I talked to had clearly been paired with me purposefully because I had connected with them earlier in the week and I just felt so welcomed and loved there. After that I knew that it was where I needed to be.
It's definitely a stressful week and concerns about a house not liking you for you make it worse. Especially being a little sister, you don't want to always be "Maggie's sister", you want to be you. Going in I knew I had a different situation than a lot of other girls but I totally underestimated how hard it would be to have that on my mind. It just messes with you and especially since lots of other girls make comments about how "sister sisters basically have an automatic in" it makes you question it more. My sister wasn't even there during recruitment (she's on LOA right now) so it wasn't like she was there when they were talking about me but it was still freaking me out. But they really won't keep people they don't like and sometimes you just need to hear that from someone else for it to set in and calm your emotions.
Honestly recruitment is just a lot. that's the only way to accurately describe it IMO. You are alone for the first time and then thrown into crazy long days with no sleep of making small talk with girls who you just feel are judging you. Then you get invites and everything feels so personal and you're tired and in a place you're not fully comfortable in and don't have solid friend groups in yet. So much is thrown at you all at once and it's just hard.
Also everyone probably thinks I'm super emotional because I also cried a lot during preference round at the house I'm now in. But I almost never cry, I just cried a lot during recruitment.
Definitely an emotional week! I'm glad it worked out for you, and I will be happy when this whole part of it all is over for mine and she can get her schedule somewhat back on track. :)

Thanks for the replies. I'm still going to finish the week! I guess I should've known I was rushing with a slight disadvantage before I went in. I just wasn't prepared for that. But I'll hope for the best, keep an open mind, and see what happens. It's just a lot to be making a lifelong commitment on a sorority you like versus knowing what potentially could have been with a sorority you loved. We'll see where the week goes!
Just checking in and seeing how it is going.

Has all of the terminology changed since the early nineties? The process was called "rush" then, and the girls going through were "rushees." The active member girls who became independent the week of rush to work for Panhellenic were Rho Chis (for "rush counselors.") The girls who received and accepted bids were "pledges." I keep seeing different words used now...is there something politically incorrect about the word "rush?" I know that there are MANY more restrictions placed on things like Big Sis/Lil Sis scavenger hunts and stuff to wipe out even the merest whiff of possible hazing....but I can't figure out what is wrong with the traditional terms. I must sound like an old curmudgeon!! :)

Has all of the terminology changed since the early nineties? The process was called "rush" then, and the girls going through were "rushees." The active member girls who became independent the week of rush to work for Panhellenic were Rho Chis (for "rush counselors.") The girls who received and accepted bids were "pledges." I keep seeing different words used now...is there something politically incorrect about the word "rush?" I know that there are MANY more restrictions placed on things like Big Sis/Lil Sis scavenger hunts and stuff to wipe out even the merest whiff of possible hazing....but I can't figure out what is wrong with the traditional terms. I must sound like an old curmudgeon!! :)
We would occasionally still call it "rush" among ourselves or when asking someone if they "plan on rushing". The more PC version now is recruitment, or asking someone if they were "going through recruitment". I think greek life just wanted to distance themselves from the idea of rushing, pledging, etc., which can conjure up images of hazing.
Rushees are now PNMs or potential new members
Pledges are now New Members and the pledging period is known as the New Member period.
Girls who disaffiliate to help PNMs through recruitment were called Pi Chis at my school, but I've heard several different names for them.

We would occasionally still call it "rush" among ourselves or when asking someone if they "plan on rushing". The more PC version now is recruitment, or asking someone if they were "going through recruitment". I think greek life just wanted to distance themselves from the idea of rushing, pledging, etc., which can conjure up images of hazing.
Rushees are now PNMs or potential new members
Pledges are now New Members and the pledging period is known as the New Member period.
Girls who disaffiliate to help PNMs through recruitment were called Pi Chis at my school, but I've heard several different names for them.
I've heard
Rho chi - recruitment counselor
Pi chi - Panhellenic counselor
Rho gamma - recruitment guide
And bama calls them sigma rho chi's or something strange like that... Not sure what the sigma is for

Back