OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
@getsum I'm sorry I don't know your background (maybe I should) but are you in the midst of a statistics class or something? I only say because you sound like my daughter who's just come back from a class that she's learning brand new subject matter. This semester it's Abnormal Psych and so far I'm diagnosed Obsessive Compulsive and the dog has an anxiety disorder. Most people that are actually in the respective professions don't sound so elitist when discussing their work. Sorry if I'm off base here!

@getsum I'm sorry I don't know your background (maybe I should) but are you in the midst of a statistics class or something? I only say because you sound like my daughter who's just come back from a class that she's learning brand new subject matter. This semester it's Abnormal Psych and so far I'm diagnosed Obsessive Compulsive and the dog has an anxiety disorder. Most people that are actually in the respective professions don't sound so elitist when discussing their work. Sorry if I'm off base here!

your passive aggressiveness is really unnecessary. anyways, i actually finished my undergrad and grad studies in psych and child development several years ago. im not used to coddling others and tip toeing around others and am used to being around scientific discussions. there is nothing elitist about what ive said or how i've said it. ive defended the position with conviction and i've called out things that i saw to be misleading. im not going to be sorry about that. i've seen much worse said by scientists to other scientists in well respected journals. i've seen/read them go at each others throats with name calling and such. there is nothing elitist about standing by one's position nor chipping away at others arguments. that's how debate/argumentation goes.

im not sure you got what i was trying to say in what you quoted, because your post doesn't really seem to follow from that. that aside, if by flaws you accidentally meant say limitations, then yes, every study has its limitations, and thats even a sub-section in the discussion section of well written publications. every study is flawed? not so much. the teacher may have chosen known flawed studies to prove a point.

If you're not sure that I got what you were trying to say, then please explain it to me until you're sure I get it. In order to not derail this thread too much you may also write me a pm.

By flaws I don't mean limitations, I DO mean flaws. Even though English isn't my first language, I do know the difference between the two, and I know statistics enough to know the difference between a limitation and a flaw there.

And if my professor chose studies with flaws to prove a point or not - we'll both never know (although I'm pretty sure he did because that's what the class was about). But when you go through studies that "prove" widely-known points and you find flaws in all of them, you know that something must be wrong, and you truly get the German saying "traue keiner Statistik die du nicht selbst gefälscht hast" which (loosely) translates to "don't trust a study that you didn't forge yourself".

@getsum I've been doing this for a little while. I don't discount the point you were making, but I'm trying to tell you that it's the way you are making that is rubbing the wrong way and I'm finding to be argumentative.

I'm going to try to put it another way so you can hopefully see my point:

This thread had 35 pages where people were discussing greek life before your first post. 525 posts. At that time you made a very valid observation about studies related to the subject. Great information I think for people who want to read up.

Since your post, there have been 31 posts related to your statistics, mainly discussing how those may be studies, but many know of positive experiences in Greek life. 5 of those were personal experience. Basically the bulk of them were people who didn't want to believe the studies at face value. You rebutted 8 times trying to make them reply with their own scientific, empirical argument. There were 12 posts trying to get to the original intent of the thread.

Here is my empirical argument for you:

Of the 51 posts since you have been trying to discuss your scientific argument, your view point represents 15.38% of the posts, 60.78% disagree or don't want to discuss college life scientifically, 23.53% are trying to get back to what 98% of the thread is about.

People are trying hard to NOT discuss fun, college life in a scientific manner. I'll suggest again that you take the scientific discussion to another thread. If you continue to just want to argue a point no one wants to argue, I'll simply block you from this one.

EVERYONE STOP BEING NEGATIVE AND LOOK AT MY PERFECT LITTLE
2cp2jig.png

EVERYONE STOP BEING NEGATIVE AND LOOK AT MY PERFECT LITTLE
2cp2jig.png
As if you need her to lean over to make you look any taller.

Everyone enjoy the thread in peace for a few days.

Big/Littles are so much fun! Welcome to big-hood (?)!!

I hear @cheerKT has a cool little............ I heard someone say it once.

Possibly the coolest big/little combo in the land. At least the South. . . Carolina

Latest posts

Back