All-Star #topoftheworlds - Usasf Has Big News On Monday??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Then again, the divisions arent very big. Most divisions had less than 25 i think

True, but less bids are given out. It can be tough to get a bid to summit. And , I am glad summit doesn't divide up small and large gym. It makes moving to the second day , placing well, etc. more valuable / meaningful.

The sport is already divided up into 6-7 skill levels, age brackets, team size, number of males, and has several dozen "national championships." I would guess that there are at least 500 teams in a given year that can walk around proclaiming themselves to be "National Champion". 10 teams claiming to be the World Champion is plenty, IMO.

I fear the unintended consequences of such a decision.

But people still go to DII and DIII colleges for sports--how would this be any different? I'd rather win a DIII championship than come in last in DI.
It's just me I'm guessing but I feel like this further separates the small gyms from large gyms and drives more people to want to go to a large gym.

I see it as your a star player in highschool, all around best everything. You are recruited by one of the top Div I programs in the country. If you know you are that good you are more so going to choose the program that you will get the most spotlight in order to he recognized. Possibly going pro afterwards....

Your argument that people are still going Div II and III for sports at schools isn't really valid. Those athletes doing that are usually ones only getting offers from those type of school. (Free school anyone?) yes if I'm not that good and only get Div II schools begging me to come play with them then I'll go that route. It's not like most of those kids had the offers from Div I schools.

For the people talking about summit:
Also some competitions are choosing to hand bids out to small gyms. If you want to go compete in a small gym national to have a better chance at winning and you are small then fine then do that. However for a comp saying we are going to give two paid bids to small gyms, two paid to large gym drives me nuts. The summit doesn't separate the divisions so you are setting these kids up for failure. You need to put all small gyms and large gyms scores together and award the bids to the top 4. If none of those are small gyms then so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just me I'm guessing but I feel like this further separates the small gyms from large gyms and drives more people to want to go to a large gym.

I see it as your a star player in highschool, all around best everything. You are recruited by one of the top Div I programs in the country. If you know you are that good you are more so going to choose the program that you will get the most spotlight in order to he recognized. Possibly going pro afterwards....

Your argument that people are still going Div II and III for sports at schools isn't really valid. Those athletes doing that are usually ones only getting offers from those type of school. (Free school anyone?) yes if I'm not that good and only get Div II schools begging me to come play with them then I'll go that route. It's not like most of those kids had the offers from Div I schools.

For the people talking about summit:
Also some competitions are choosing to hand bids out to small gyms. If you want to go compete in a small gym national to have a better chance at winning and you are small then fine then do that. However for a comp saying we are going to give two paid bids to small gyms, two paid to large gym drives me nuts. The summit doesn't separate the divisions so you are setting these kids up for failure. You need to put all small gyms and large gyms scores together and award the bids to the top 4. If none of those are small gyms then so be it.

Only Division I and II Schools give scholarships, not Div III

Everyones saying that all the teams showed in the video are all small gyms so that's a hint.. But Top Dog was shown 3-4 times and they made finals.. On an At-Large.. And they have around 200 athletes. That's not what I call "small".

Only Division I Schools give scholarships
Something I didn't know but it proves my point more -if they are playing at a division II school it is not going to be because the Div I school gave them an offer that was turned down. It's probably because more often then not they didn't get an offer from the Div I school.

Only Division I and II Schools give scholarships, not Div III
Ok I see you clarified and changed the post - I'm glad because I knew my friends would post on Facebook about offers they received from some of those schools. I just didn't care enough to go look. Haha

Coming from someone who has gone to both a small gym and large gym, I fully believe large gyms are large for a reason. Would a small gym that gained a thousand athletes suddenly be better? I feel like I can't think of the words to get my point across, but you get the jist. I also believe splitting it would take away some of the exclusive meaning of being a world champion.

This is all becoming so complicated. It's JUST cheerleading.

:confused:
But surely changes like this and the scoring etc are a needed to be discussed so that it becomes "Cheerleading" not "just Cheerleading". Maybe to you its just cheerleading but to others it is their livelihood?

Forgive if I'm way off here, but it sounds like you want as cheer to stay the dishevelled mess that it currently looks like to an outsider. How do you expect it to grow and become a better industry for all athletes if proposals like this aren't discussed/considered?

eta - this isn't an attack on you, just trying to understand your post?

Something I didn't know but it proves my point more -if they are playing at a division II school it is not going to be because the Div I school gave them an offer that was turned down. It's probably because more often then not they didn't get an offer from the Div I school.

Depending on the sport and the school that could very well be the case - each sport only has a set number of scholarships they can give out per sport. The coach/athletic director can then decide how to split that scholarship money up even further- between the players. For example a div 1 soccer school only has 9 soccer scholarships per year to give -bigger sports like football will have more - but a lot of times smaller schools - div 11 private schools for example will give you more money to add to an athletic scholarship that div 1 schools won't - NAIA schools have 12 soccer scholarships alloted. Sorry to give out information no one wanted lol but everyone always talks about if you don't get or go div 1 you aren't good or it's not worth it - that's not true - I am going thru this process with my son and he was fortunate to get a soccer package on a team not div 1 but also at a school he will love and see playing time

Depending on the sport and the school that could very well be the case - each sport only has a set number of scholarships they can give out per sport. The coach/athletic director can then decide how to split that scholarship money up even further- between the players. For example a div 1 soccer school only has 9 soccer scholarships per year to give -bigger sports like football will have more - but a lot of times smaller schools - div 11 private schools for example will give you more money to add to an athletic scholarship that div 1 schools won't - NAIA schools have 12 soccer scholarships alloted. Sorry to give out information no one wanted lol but everyone always talks about if you don't get or go div 1 you aren't good or it's not worth it - that's not true - I am going thru this process with my son and he was fortunate to get a soccer package on a team not div 1 but also at a school he will love and see playing time
Some people don't want a d1 school either. I went to a d1 university and loved it but some of my friends went d2 because they just liked a smaller more intimate setting. Not unlike the reasons some cheerleaders choose smaller programs. I don't think it's a knock on their skills, intelligence or the value of the d2 school because it's smaller. The same can be said here. My carpool baby left Friday for Navarro where he's got a scholarship to cheer. It's not UK, heck Navarro is a junior college, but I don't think many people out there are going to say Navarro isn't a quality cheer program.

On the flip side of my own argument here, Navarro can hang with the UKs of the college cheer world so maybe d1/d2 shouldn't matter.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Some people don't want a d1 school either. I went to a d1 university and loved it but some of my friends went d2 because they just liked a smaller more intimate setting. Not unlike the reasons some cheerleaders choose smaller programs. I don't think it's a knock on their skills, intelligence or the value of the d2 school because it's smaller. The same can be said here. My carpool baby left Friday for Navarro where he's got a scholarship to cheer. It's not UK, heck Navarro is a junior college, but I don't think many people out there are going to say Navarro isn't a quality cheer program.

On the flip side of my own argument here, Navarro can hang with the UKs of the college cheer world so maybe d1/d2 shouldn't matter.

:) thanks that's my point - until you go thru the process - it's an individual choice based on so many factors - lack of skill or not good enough for d1 isn't always the reason for not choosing to go d1. d1 doesn't always mean the best in every sport at every school across the board.

:) thanks that's my point - until you go thru the process - it's an individual choice based on so many factors - lack of skill or not good enough for d1 isn't always the reason for not choosing to go d1. d1 doesn't always mean the best in every sport at every school across the board.
Tell me about it. I'm an NCState graduate and we shall not speak of football or basketball on a recurring basis. #hangsheadinshame

Tell me about it. I'm an NCState graduate and we shall not speak of football or basketball on a recurring basis. #hangsheadinshame

My daughter just transferred from one d1 school to another - she cheered at previous d1 school and the football team left a lot to be desired lol so I understand - it was pretty tragic at times. She isn't cheering at this school since it's just coed and she is all girl -she is doing an iag team.

Back