All-Star Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Maybe those programs currently have very little turnover or shiny new toys and they already know how all the kids work together

Personally I like the idea of work groups because skill alone doesn't make a great team, cohesiveness of the ability to work together does

I agree, plus it gives the expectation that teams aren't set until end of workout group and movement can happen so kids don't get as disappointed as if they are announced on X team then get moved to another team.

I agree, plus it gives the expectation that teams aren't set until end of workout group and movement can happen so kids don't get as disappointed as if they are announced on X team then get moved to another team.
We lived through workout groups at a large gym last season and the stress involved for both the parents and athletes is nuts. Every practice feels like someone's going to get cut. The chatter in the parent watch room is vicious. It's not a healthy environment.

While our gym did announce teams last weekend, they told us in the parent meeting that there will be "movement" if people can't maintain their tumbling skills and fill a stunt position.

Time will tell how it works out.

We lived through workout groups at a large gym last season and the stress involved for both the parents and athletes is nuts. Every practice feels like someone's going to get cut. The chatter in the parent watch room is vicious. It's not a healthy environment.

While our gym did announce teams last weekend, they told us in the parent meeting that there will be "movement" if people can't maintain their tumbling skills and fill a stunt position.

THIS!!! even at a small gym , we had lots of stress and lost some kids over it the one time we tried it. No one in our area does it, so people were freaking out. I go SO TIRED of the dram and speculation in the parent area about who was going to end up where. Not worth it IMO.

Hm. I did workout groups at a small gym and it wasn't stressful at all. Very few people got moved and the groups didn't have levels attached so that may be why? I was on a team that could have gone three or four so it was kind of like we were given an opportunity to work a little longer to solidify our skills and see if we were ready for a level four routine. We ended up going level 3 but it wasn't upsetting.
A lot of gyms around us do it now and it has always been a positive experience for me. It's interesting to see people's different experiences with the same concept. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hm. I did workout groups at a small gym and it wasn't stressful at all. Very few people got moved and the groups didn't have levels attached so that may be why? I was on a team that could have gone three or four so it was kind of like we were given an opportunity to work a little longer to solidify our skills and see if we were ready for a level four routine. We ended up going level 3 but it wasn't upsetting.
A lot of gyms around us do it now and it has always been a positive experience for me. It's interesting to see people's different experiences with the same concept. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Our workout groups had levels attached to it, and sometimes 40-50 athletes in a workout group for a large team that wouldn't have more than 31. Lots of cuts. We were new to the gym and honestly had no idea how anything worked which made it even scarier.

I think the workout groups could be very beneficial, especially for gyms that have multiple teams that are the same level. If you are planning on fielding a small senior 5, medium senior 5, small coed 5 and a large coed 5 it might be useful to see all the athletes as a group so the talent can be divided in a way that will be best for all the teams. I think it also helps build that "family" feeling among the athletes since they'll get to know each other before being separated.

Our workout groups had levels attached to it, and sometimes 40-50 athletes in a workout group for a large team that wouldn't have more than 31. Lots of cuts. We were new to the gym and honestly had no idea how anything worked which made it even scarier.
What happened to the cut athletes? Were they designated as alternates or relegated to a different team or something else?

What happened to the cut athletes? Were they designated as alternates or relegated to a different team or something else?
Most were moved to lower level teams, or new lower level teams were formed with the athletes who were cut. Some were moved to the developmental program. Some quit all together.

Back